Unlimited access >

Horse Boarding Orcas Island

Hello all,
I just moved to Orcas Island, WA and I’m looking for a place to board my gelding. There is one stable here that offers boarding for 550 a month, care not included. This seems a bit pricey to me and I am coming from SoCal…also I don’t really need a full boarding facility, I just had a baby and won’t be showing for a while so just a coral and shelter will do, I just really miss my pony! Open to suggestions! I have even considered other islands but it may be too much of a commute…

As a side note I am also looking for a hauler to bring my guy here from SoCal if anyone has suggestions for that as well :slight_smile:

Well, coral around here is pretty non-existent…more of a southern seas phenom…

I can ask my farrier who used to live on Guemes, and a local LE guy who still does and has donkeys. If you’re interested?

Allmarc LLC hauled my gelding from Colorado to Washington in September. It was a great experience, especially since my guy is a nervous hauler. I think they have a trip coming up from SoCal soon.

No help with boarding though, sorry. I love my boarding barn but is a haul from Orcas. A hour ferry ride and then about another drive.

Welcome to the PNW!

Ugh, I figured…does Guemes have ferry service from Orcas? If yes that would be great if you could ask them!

[QUOTE=MustangSavvy;7874649]
Allmarc LLC hauled my gelding from Colorado to Washington in September. It was a great experience, especially since my guy is a nervous hauler. I think they have a trip coming up from SoCal soon.

No help with boarding though, sorry. I love my boarding barn but is a haul from Orcas. A hour ferry ride and then about another drive.

Welcome to the PNW![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the referral, I will contact them!
And yeah two hours is a bit farther away than I would like to be :confused:

[QUOTE=Winchester11;7874751]
Ugh, I figured…does Guemes have ferry service from Orcas? If yes that would be great if you could ask them![/QUOTE] no - Guemes only has a small car ferry to Anacortes. You’d have to take the main ferry from Orcas to Anacortes and then change.

[QUOTE=Winchester11;7874754]
Thank you for the referral, I will contact them!
And yeah two hours is a bit farther away than I would like to be :/[/QUOTE]

Try posting on craigslist. This is how I ended up at my current barn. I posted when I found out I was moving and she emailed me.

I would try putting up a note at the grocery store. Someone will see it and pass the word along if there’s anyone who can help. Say specifically what it is your are looking for. My horse connections are on Lopez, but I’ll ask them if they know of anyone.

[QUOTE=GotSpots;7874824]
no - Guemes only has a small car ferry to Anacortes. You’d have to take the main ferry from Orcas to Anacortes and then change.[/QUOTE]

That seems like a bit of a trek for me :confused: but thank you for the offer!

[QUOTE=MustangSavvy;7874827]
Try posting on craigslist. This is how I ended up at my current barn. I posted when I found out I was moving and she emailed me.[/QUOTE]

I will do this!

[QUOTE=Kestrel;7874881]
I would try putting up a note at the grocery store. Someone will see it and pass the word along if there’s anyone who can help. Say specifically what it is your are looking for. My horse connections are on Lopez, but I’ll ask them if they know of anyone.[/QUOTE]

I will do this too…Lopez was actually the only other island I was thinking would be practical, so if you could ask that would be great!

As a general question to everyone what is “normal” for board pricing around here?

Remember, the islands are more expensive, period, let alone for board/feed/bedding. It all comes by boat after all. $550 is on the high end for mainland board (barring urban areas like Seattle). You’ll have to find private barns is my guess. Definitely use CL or a note in the local feed store, etc.

http://www.bluewaterjumpers.com/bluewater/contact.html

Bluewater Jumpers is out there on Orcas. Definitely not what you are looking for, but Cathy is a good person to get to know and might have other contacts for you…

Can you send me an E-mail? I can direct you to some folks who live there and had their own farm. I’m sure they know of others on the island who can assist!

seujoanne - gmail