Unlimited access >

Horse Buying/Selling Gripe Thread

If I was in a lesson and my trainer spent half of it on the phone to talk about another client’s sale horse, I’d be pretty annoyed.

6 Likes

I can see your point.

There’s a horse that was advertised recently on FB. Seller said horse was a 1.10 meter jumper and dabbled in the hunter ring as well. If the pictures were any proof, the hunter ring was very very low level showing. The horse was not a stylish jumper at all, uneven knees, not a good look through the bridle, just meh. Of course they didn’t show any pictures of the horse actually jumping 1.10 meters, but 2’ - 2’6" . And talk about pricing them more than they are worth, they were asking over 60K! :astonished: Every person that responded asked if they added one too many zeros.

3 Likes

There is one near me advertised as a hack winner, nice jumper, with tons of championships. Not sure of breed, but looks like a QH-type. Video is it jumping around 2ft-2’6’’ on the forehand with lots of knee action and slowly getting faster and faster. Price? $50k. :question: :question: :question:

This! For sure this! Unless a seller specifically says they prefer phone calls I assume no busy person prefers phone calls that I am deciding when they are happening.

2 Likes

This is a thing I’ve been noticing. People with low-er quality horses are reluctant to admit the market isn’t as hot anymore. Everybody who wanted a horse during the COVID craze either got one or people are selling pandemic project ponies now. Breeders and most professionals seem to be recognizing this. Now the initial purchase price of a quality young warmblood costs the same as your average backyard hunter. If the backyard hunter has miles and is sound, safe, and does its job well, then sure, you might have a buyer. But some people are just a little delusional. Some just absolutely SUCK at advertising.

Saw project pony reduced to 3k this morning. Cute pony, but all it can do is run around in a roundpen and jump 18" crossrails. Same pony would have been 10k a year ago.

3 Likes

But after we’ve exchanged a few messages and I’ve shown some actual interest in the horse? Seems like we should have an actual conversation. I don’t care if I have to wait for a more convenient time, but I don’t want to sit there typing on my phone to ask buyer a million questions. Now it just looks like I’m blowing up your phone.

1 Like

@blue_heron

I know it wasn’t meant to be humorous and I am sorry for what you are going through in trying to even find a suitable horse to look at( it seems) but thank you for making me laugh.

Be patient and persistent your horse is out there!!

this is just what we have found to be true

We have been with the same breed for 33 years. We do Class A and National shows within the breed and in open shows… not as much as in the old days but enough to stay connected.

When we lost a very promising three year old (had won National and World Championships already) we had offers from several breeders across the country of no charge replacements as they knew we would be promoting their stock in shows

2 Likes

I’ve been both a buyer and a seller this year and it’s just so frustrating. As a seller, I post everything in the ad and always include videos. Mine are always priced to sell quickly and I’ve sold several just from video this year. But I’m also very realistic about the horse and its prospects, so if it’s a lesson pony type that can maybe go to some local shows in a few months with your slick pony rider I have no problem saying exactly that. But that doesn’t stop people from asking if the 3-yr-old who is just starting to canter is suitable for their nine-year-old beginner rider.

I recently had a woman get mad at me because I wouldn’t sell a young mare to her. She assumed I was lying because my ad said the mare was quiet and easy. Which was absolutely true but that doesn’t mean you can ride it.

As a buyer, I only deal with people I know anymore. They know what I want and how I ride and I’ll buy it sight unseen from someone I trust.

Good luck in your search!

Maybe I missed a post, but are you sending a message asking to set up a call and the seller isn’t interested?

When I bought mine, I knew he was what I wanted, knew there were others interested, and wanted to convey how serious I was. After the first round of basic questions, I finally just said “do you have availability to speak on the phone? I am seriously interested but have a few more questions and it may be easier that way.” Seller said sure, call after X time, and it was easy. But I never would have just called out of the blue. Also - many people don’t pick up for strange numbers if they aren’t expecting a call. I certainly don’t.

4 Likes

Yes— I usually will cover the basics in the first few messages and ask if they think the horse would be suitable for x purpose. If yes, I just ask if they’re free for a call whenever my next free time is. Schedule a call or free wheel it when we’re both free.

What my complaint is is when I schedule a phone call with a seller and they don’t pick up. I usually leave a callback number on their voicemail and a text message. Then they text me hours later apologizing for missing the call. After two or three times of rescheduling I just figure they don’t want to sell the horse that badly.

1 Like

Believe me I have a sense of humor about it all! I also just like to commiserate occasionally. :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely agree playing phone tag with a seller (or anyone!) after specifically setting up a call time would frustrate me and leave me wondering if the other party is serious. Things happen, but after multiple times I would also lose interest.

1 Like

These are my favorite.
I had a 1.20m jumper in on consignment once. Dude was push-button extraordinaire, a beginner could have jumped him around 3’. A woman came out with her dressage trainer who was licensed in Germany. The trainer couldn’t get him to canter. :woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Then you have connections from. your time showing and getting around. I am nobody in the backwoods of nowhere. I don’t know any coaches to keep an eye out for me or breeders who might know of something.
At this point I am not even looking for a unicorn, just not mean, lame or older than dirt. Broke is a bonus. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I live in anticipation, fear and some mild psychosis building up, when my newer resale is ready to be listed.

I hope for some better drugs on hand for myself and kind and competent folks to reach out. Don’t need the cray crays.

Thankfully I am honest, WILL disclose what I know. WILL price accordingly and have a rep for being upfront and transparent. I don’t want the FIRST money, I want the best home for the animal. And at least I have been consistent with this. Hopefully that counts for something.

Em

9 Likes

Today:
Lady who replied to my ISO post that specifically said no Horse Breed with a Horse Breed (people never read the whole post). I politely passed and another woman comments that “just in case I thought all Horse Breed had Horse Breed Trait, her horse that’s 1/8th Horse Breed doesn’t have Horse Breed Trait, so I should keep an open mind!” I’ll never understand what is so offensive to people about breed preferences. Horses are already so expensive and risky, you should buy exactly what you want and not settle.

Young mare that I’m trying to not get excited about. But her registered name is awful! And her barn name is the same as this nasty girl at my high school!

4 Likes

I picked up a project pony over the summer and have been marketing her for the last few months as a lesson/first pony type and it has been a WILD ride. I’ve sold a handful this year in various price points which have all gone pretty smoothly but this one pony is really bringing enough strange interactions for half a dozen horse sales.

My favorite was the local lesson barn trainers who did not want to sit on her themselves, did not bring a rider, but were clearly put out that I didn’t have a beginner handy for the trial. It’s BYO child/novice rider, people, I am an adult at a private barn and don’t have one on deck! After I showed them the pony, including dropping my reins and literally doing the Macarena while trotting around, they asked me sort of suspiciously how many horses I rode a week… I got the sense they thought I was a super slick rider and tricking them somehow. I encouraged them to bring a kid and come try her again, and had sent them videos of adult and child beginners on her, but nope.

8 Likes

And the biggest gripe I have with buying….the horse you are ISO (sane, sound, beginner friendly lesson type, within your budget) is always outside of your geographical area. It’s like a law of the universe or something.

7 Likes

Last one I personally tried to sell was before the Internet, cell phones and videos were still primitive and not customary. We snail mailed photos if they sent an SSE.

Was in SoTexas, we got it off a ranch, born broke type, cleaned it up, taught it arena skills, jog slow, leads, work and line up in a group, trot over poles, stand square for showmanship and such expected of Western horses. Sweet type ready for most any rider priced very fairly. The ads described him and his skill set accurately. Clearly stated he was 6 years old, bay, gelded and stood 15.1 and was located in So Texas, was born and bred in Yexas and had done s few small shows in Texas.

We did have answering machines at that point, thank the lord. I got buried in people looking for Jumpers, breeding stallions, Palaminos, Overo Paints, much younger then 6 year old horses and barrel racers. Oh he could get around the pattern but the battery in the timer would be dead before he broke the finish line. Which was perfect for him and intended job.

Had a number of valid calls too. Eventually had lengthy discussions with one gal that progressed to negotiations. She made an offer for about 15% less the asking price, I accepted. She said she’d overnight the check Good, right?

Not so much. After I accepted her offer she asks “since shipping is always included in the sale price when will you be delivering him to me in Rapid City”?

Say what? Told her it was not included, never said it was or inferred it was, so she says “What am I supposed to do”? So she wants a discounted price plus delivery that will take me 3-4 days round trip and cost me more then the discount she negotiated before revealing she wanted free shipping… Yeah right.

How about not picking a horse in a distant location and not ever mentioning you could not come get it before tying up my time for two weeks?

Don’t respond to ads for horses in far off places and waste sellers time.

I called a trainer friend and hauled the horse to his place, he had him sold in a few days, think he charged 10% , well worth it, and used an agent for all buying and selling since then. Life’s too short for such nonsense and had no desire to contact other interested parties. Was done .

15 Likes