Unlimited access >

Horse can’t accept contact without fussing

The Fager bits have been an absolute game changer for my sensitive OTTB who likes to invert first and ask questions later. If he’s not inverting, he’s likely to put himself where he thinks you want him but in a fake frame. We primarily use the Fager Maria and he has shown a clear preference for the titanium versions. He actually reaches for the bit!

Another thing that has helped him tremendously is estrone. He does have a little bit of a sticky stifle, but the estrone has helped him work over his back overall. He’s finally building topline, which is making everything else easier.

2 Likes

I’d try chiro and bodywork. Oh and saddle fit.

1 Like

My guy was the opposite. I tried a couple bits with a nice lozenge, thinking those would be the friendliest. Including a Fager version. Nope, he likes a hollow core snaffle.

1 Like

Did you happen to take any neck rads?

4 Likes

Big Dees has a bit rental program, this is how I settled on the right Myler for my fussy ottb.

https://www.bigdweb.com/groups/bit-test-ride-program

Second this many times over.

2 Likes

I thought I was being kind to my new mare by using a soft leather bit, she was buttery soft but inconsistent and fussy. I put her in a bomber happy tongue d ring and she is much more consistent and happy.

1 Like

If the horse goes well in a hackamore, then I’d think the answer is in the mouth. Maybe have another dentist check out the teeth. Just because they’ve been “done” does not mean there is not an issue.

Something to experiment with is riding off a caveson and snaffle as a double bridle. At first you can just let the snaffle sit in the mouth and ride off the caveson, and then begin to use the snaffle, and see if/how things change.

Leather sounds like another logical option to try. I went to a Bombers rubber bit this fall and it was a game-changer. There are different materials between that bit, Nathe, Winderen, Trust, etc. as compared to Happy Mouth or the old school black rubber bits, so I wouldn’t rule out all rubber/synthetic bits based on lack of success with a single material.

2 Likes

Surprised nobody here spoke about getting a thinner bit as rubber bits can be way too thick for most horses and hit on the palate which can be quite uncomfortable.

I echo trying a myler style/tongue relief bit, and perhaps a mullen mouth with a port or a leather mouthpiece in that order. but again pay attention to the width (12-15mm). If you still get sores try taping. Worth exploring a change of material too. Somebody posted a cost effective sweet iron bit up from Dover - I think that one is worth a try.

2 Likes

See post 5 :wink:

3 Likes

I had a bit fitter. Game changer. Ended up with the Duo.