Unlimited access >

Horse head nodding fly mask

Greetings! My mare repeatedly head nods when her fly mask is on … I’ve tried one with ears, without ears, lycra… all the same. When I take it off, she does it for a bit longer but then eventually stops. Could it just be she doesn’t like the fly mask? If so, any suggestions of how to keep the gnats and flies away from her face if I keep it off?

I’ve checked her ears - no mites or ticks… just out of ideas! Thank you!

It does sound like it bothers her in some way. I had one that could only wear these super loose ones

Or try something like this
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/tough1-nylon-fly-veil/BUF37/
2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! I’ll try a loose one to see how that works. Just feel bad for her and those darn bugs! :frowning:

There are a lot of nerve endings in the head and face. It could be that she is being overstimuated, and has trouble recovering. Does she head shake a lot when the bugs are bad and she is not wearing a mask?

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply! She doesn’t do it quite the same with the mask off and bugs are bothering her (more of a quick shake, but a different kind of shake)… it’s almost rhythmic when she has the mask on (up/down/up/down etc.). :frowning:

Thanks for your reply! I’ll try a loose one to see how that works. Just feel bad for her and those darn bugs! :frowning:

Does it cover her nose? My mare will not tolerate fly masks on her nose, she rubs them non stop if I try and make her wear them. After cutting off the ruined nose pieces I’ve given up and only buy the shorter masks now.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for your reply! I tried the one with the nose as well (she gets sunburned so easily)… that was a no-go too! :frowning: I put sunscreen on her nose too. Poor girl!

Do they make fly goggles? maybe something like this she would find less objectionable?

https://www.doversaddlery.com/wb-saxon-fly-fringe-wears/p/X1-23418/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2MWVBhCQARIsAIjbwoPDHZAq-VjEoayE7mSlBZgxx5VyLQpp7MiqXxDbN5jGaTczx-89sxYaAsNJEALw_wcB

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!! It’s worth trying!!! :slight_smile:

Which masks have you tried? I wonder if they are too tight where it bothers her…

Mine did best in a Rambo mask with ears, I like how it really does not come near their eyes. My mare didn’t like nose pieces and would rub them off on the ground. She did better with a fringe-type attachment.
This is the one I had for her, I just removed the nose piece. She used to have it on 24/7 in her pasture if needed, and if put on correctly, it stayed put.
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.583266c14b1b5aebbf727b4192c0f3d9?rik=RmX82H2CZFyAxg&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

3 Likes

Have a look at Spanish-style fly fringes, just a long string fringe on a browband. The face isn’t enclosed but the flies are brushed off.

1 Like

I second the Rambo fly mask. Because of the stiff band that holds the fabric away from their eyes, I find they don’t rub their eyes. On other masks, they would rub their eyes, then the mask would fray at the darks and the frayed fabric would poke them.

I wish they had a forelock hole, but I will put up with smashed forelock. These masks last forever, I am on year three with one of them, and he wears it 24/7 in the summer.

I have the Rambo mask and my mare seems to like or tolerate it. That said, my barn manager says they hate them. Just putting it out there…

1 Like

Thank you so much!!!