Unlimited access >

Horse hock x-rays, weird, help

I’m looking to buy this 2 year old filly, she was trained for the track but hasn’t raced. The owner said she has a capped hock. Which is fine with me as long as it’s only a cosmetic blemish like owner says. The filly checks every other box of mine so I’m very interested in her. However, owner sent me a video of her trotting on a lunge line today and she still looks a little lame in the leg with the capped hock (left rear leg), but the injury just happened less than a month ago so I’m not sure if she should still be a little tender in it or not. The owner told me her vet said the filly should be perfectly sound after rest until fall. But here’s the weird part. I asked the owner if she had copies of the x-rays that were taken of the leg. She said yes, and actually had the vet email them to me directly. Well, I was looking at these x-rays and realized they weren’t of her hock. They’re of a fetlock joint. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is there a reason why they’re of her fetlock and not the capped hock? And in these x-rays, is there anything that looks odd to any of you? I’m sending the x-rays to my vet with the same questions I’m posting here, but I thought id see what you guys think too. Links to pictures below

<iframe width=“480” height=“360” src=“http://s649.photobucket.com/user/bmckenna1010/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads”></iframe>

Here’s an easier link to the pictures actually: http://s649.photobucket.com/user/bmckenna1010/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads

[QUOTE=Bmckenna;8657060]
Here’s an easier link to the pictures actually: [/QUOTE]

Just wondering, do you have permission from the owner to post the the radiographs publicly? (I am deleting the link from the quote above.)

As this is not your horse, I would make sure you have permission before posting radiographs/images of a horse for sale on a public forum.

Are you sure they are the correct radiographs? Maybe vet sent wrong ones by mistake.

[QUOTE=keysfins;8657153]
Just wondering, do you have permission from the owner to post the the radiographs publicly? (I am deleting the link from the quote above.)

As this is not your horse, I would make sure you have permission before posting radiographs/images of a horse for sale on a public forum.[/QUOTE]

She has no location indicated in her profile or history. She has no history to dig through to figure out location, the xrays don’t have vet name, horse name or owner name.
The only information we have is that this horse is a race trained 2 year old filly that didn’t race. There are a lot of those in the US let alone the world.

IMO since I don’t see how anyone could tie these xrays back to a particular horse it is a problem. I would feel differently if there was enough information for somebody to identify this horse and owner.

Did you ask if those were the correct films?! Mistakes happen. Maybe they sent you the wrong ones?!

Generally, if you have to ask if you should overlook soundness questions when buying a very young horse, you probably shouldn’t.

OP asked about the hocks, seller provided pictures of fetlocks and quoted her vet as saying the horse would be “sound by fall after rest”. Meaning it’s not sound now soooo…shouldn’t be a question here. Wait until fall when it is sound or keep looking.