Unlimited access >

Horse holds tail away from body during work

Does anyone know what it means when a horse holds his tail away from his body while in work?

I noticed it today, was having a relaxed and happy ride. Tail was not tight, not swishing/agitated/annoyed. It wasn’t flagged either, it was just held away from his body, almost like passing gas - even at a relaxed loose rein walk.

Didn’t seem at all colicy and no more than usual amount of gas propellant…

I got all up in his business after the ride and there’s nothing near his anus, there’s no blanket rubs or sores on the underside of his tail…
Could he just need his sheath cleaned? In that case it’s already booked for Thurs when the vet has him sedated for teeth.

Or am I ignoring something bigger?

Pretty sure all horses carry their tails like this when being worked. At least every horse I’ve seen carries their tail a little bit.

If it’s crooked, then I’d be thinking Chiro work, but that’s about it. IMO.

Horses with de-nerved tails don’t. So maybe there’s some confusion around the barn with horses that don’t and horses that do.

A happy relaxed horse carries his tail. Some breeds do this more than others. Most of the riders I know would be very concerned if the horse didn’t carry their tail.

Definitely no “done” tails in this barn - I’ve seen those a lifetime again and would be horrified to see one again.

I’ve never noticed him carrying it like this before, hence the question. He’s an OTTB, he flags it when he’s REALLY excited but otherwise it tends to just hang - not clamped but not raised like it was today.

But as long as it’s simply his expression (rest of his body language was typical gelding “oh what fun! A ride!”), and not crooked - I definitely looked for that - then we’re good.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

^^“I’ve seen those a lifetime AGO and would be horrified to see one again.”
Hate not being able to edit!

There’s carrying the tail away from the body loosely, which is a sign of a truly relaxed and supple horse… normal in work, desirable even – part of the reason why eventers + some dressage riders will groom or pull the tail hairs closest to the dock to really exemplify how loose and relaxed the horse is.

But then there’s carrying the tail away from the body tensely, which is a sign of tension, SI pain, possible kissing spine or saddle fit issue.

It’s very hard to differentiate between the two, as they both are carried physically the same distance away from the horse. Often a tell-tale sign of discomfort would be holding the tail to the side/crookedness, but I’ve seen KS horses with straight tails too. You can look at the tail - a light swish and relaxed but subtle bob should be normal and is desirable - a stiff tail that does not move with the body is concerning. I mentioned in passing in another thread that I thought the way the horse (that was the subject of the thread) carried its tail was strange, but not everyone agreed.

I am not talking about flagging/waving the tail, like arabians do.

Weather and how much or how little the horse is sweating between it’s hind legs will play a role.

Perhaps he was letting a breeze in/under… as opposed to letting one out?