I have run out of ideas for my currrent mare as we just started having this problem. If asked to do a haunch turn to the right, she will do it perfectly(within reason lol) and have no hesitations. If asked to do a haunch turn to the left, she will raise her head, stiffen her neck and back up. I can get maybe one or two steps of turn but that is really pushing it. This is new as of this month(September). Haunch trns to the left used to be her best way. She is a mare who will always give 110% so I definitely knew something was off. I took her to the vet 9/12 and she was declared sound and nothing was wrong. She also got PEMF targeting the neck and shoulders as well as massage and kinsio taping last week.
- 15 year old AQHA mare, 5 panel negative
- Got coffin injections 9/2021 and a adaquan series starting 6/22
- Just had a custom western saddle made for her, back soreness resolved
- Feet are barefoot and on a 5 week schedule currently
- She is turned out 24/7 in a 15 acre pasture
- Grain wise, she is on 1lb of LMF supersupplement, 1lb of LMF Gold, 2 pumps Gut X, 1 scoop tight joints and 2 scoops MagRestore. This is once a day.
- She has monthly PEMF and massage sessions and I have my own PEMF blanket that I treat with weekly.
- In light work currently as we have been dealing with wildfire smoke(I am in Western Washington)
I have tried riding her bareback and in a saddle to see if maybe the saddle was not fitting and causing this problem. Same reactions both times. She is fine doing circles and counter arcing to the right and left.
Any ideas of what to try, ask the vet or anything in general? This mare always tries her hardest for me and I try to take care of her best I can but I am genuinly puzzled and dont know what to do at the moment. I am going to the barn later tonight and can get any picures/ videos if need be.