Unlimited access >

Horse of Lifetime

Shutterfly is gone. What a great horse, and a great partnership

10 Likes

Oh, that’s sad. But he sure lived a good life. I was fortunate enough to see her win the World Cup in Las Vegas on him. He was incredible.

6 Likes

Blue Ribbon partnership ~ 24 years together ~

@Bristol_Bay ~ how lucky to see their World Cup Win in Las Vegas !

4 Likes

I was there the year that he zigged and she zagged at Las Vegas! She hit the dirt (well, the nice, cushy footing), took off her helmet, and stalked off to go get Shutterfly. We were seated right above, at the end of the ring where she fell off.

I have rarely seen such controlled rage. Or such perfect post-helmet hair. It’s sad that that is one of the things that stands out the most about that weekend, but it was really incredible to see how nice her hair looked when she took off her hat- it fell out into a perfect swing, and then kept on looking perfect, like a shampoo commercial. Everyone else was talking about the fall and my friend and I were like: Holy cow, how did she get her hair to look so fantastic?

5 Likes

It was a truly shocking moment, but one bound to happen in such a small ring.

I didn’t so much notice her hair (or anger), as our seats were closer to the center of the ring but yeah, I’d be pissed off too if that happened!

You will be amused to hear that Meredith’s hair has been a source of wonder since her junior days. We could fish her out of the water jump and her hair would cascade back into place like the Breck girl’s. It would be 120 degrees at Devon, the grooms and riders looking like drowned rats, and she would be all Grace Kelly. Then she went into the salt mines in Germany riding for Schockemoehle, with one groom helping her with 13 horses a day, and her hair never flinched. It was uncanny.
More to the point I worship her for the care she has given to all her string, from the tiny thoroughbred Home James up to his nuts in bedding, to Quick Star, Shutterfly and Checkmate. They deserved a great mom and they got one.

6 Likes

I had college equestrian teammate. Her short thick hair, had the perfect helmet cut. She could pull off her helmet, run her fingers through her hair, and look normal. My short, fine thin hair self is still jealous.