Unlimited access >

Horse off (behind) in one direction ? Help

Hi everyone.
So I have a 5 year old ottb who is now a stunner dressage guy (occasionally scented). I’ve had him since he was 3. He lives at home with me his “siblings” and we haul in for our lessons!
Anyways, I am pregnant so he’s been enjoying a nice couple of weeks off from work. That’s what makes this so frustrating is it’s not even a work injury. He goes out all day with one other horse who he’s been with since he was a baby and then goes in his comfy stall all night. My trainer is going to take over the rides on him later this month. I pulled him out to lunge yesterday and we went to the left first. He moved great. He was rounding over his back, stretching, having a good old time. And then we switched. He immediately broke into a canter and just looked completely unbalanced. His right hind just looked like it was moving off to me. Not super off but I just didn’t like it. He also didn’t really want to bend inside he was just trying to run and avoid it all together. He only went a couple laps and then I halted him and took him in. His legs are ice cold and tight. Palpitating his back and he didn’t flinch. No heat in the hooves. I’m thinking maybe S.I? Anyone have any ideas? I have videos of him jogging this AM if that could help. Vet can come out This weekend (I’m in the boonies and we are about to get a ton of gross weather). I haven’t given him bute yet because I try and avoid unless needed. Too hot for him to wear his BOT blankets. I let him out in the paddock to stretch before the storms come. But I’m going to wrap him when he goes in.
Thanks In advance for any advice. I can post videos too if that will help.

A video will absolutely help. This could be anything from his SI down to inside his foot.

In my experience, a NQR hind end lameness (especially only on one rein) was the result of neck problems, which are iffy because they can be both trauma and development related. If you can’t find anything wrong with his hind end or SI after diagnostics, the next place I’d look would be the neck.

1 Like