Unlimited access >

Horse only tolerates 2 consecutive days of "work"

This may not be an actual pattern (I’m still testing the theory), but it seems like my 12yo gelding can only tolerate 2 days of “work” in a row. “Work” for him is 20 minutes of handwalking on our more mild trails, which considering he lives out 24/7 isn’t too much to ask IMO. I’m wondering if this could be a symptom of arthritis, or some sort of muscle disorder/intolerance I should be asking my vet about?

Since pulling his shoes and being busy with other horses, this guy has fallen to the wayside. I try to take him out for a handwalk when I have time because he loves the attention and to have a job, but it’s been sporadic. Just recently since the time change I’ve had the daylight to take him out, and for the first day or two he’s pretty sound (for him): tracking up, no tripping, only dragging his left hind toe on occasion (usually while making a bid for grass). Day 3 in a row, he comes out dragging both hinds, forging every step, and tripping in front. This horse walks with Purpose, but I think on day 3 it’s less of a power walk than usual.

I’m just wondering if this rings any bells or throws any red flags up. I have a vet appointment coming up in a couple weeks so I’m prepared to ask questions, but I don’t know where to start with him. This is the KS/suspensory/currently-on-gabapentin-and-hugely-improved horse, in case anyone was wondering.

That does sound like a muscle disorder to me. Is he stalled? As that is one thing I do not recommend for a horse with any sort of muscle issue. They need to be kept moving.

My mare starts out well but by 20-30 minutes she acts like her feet have lead weights on them and she drops her head down and starts walking slow. That is how her muscle disease symptoms show up. She also trips and drags her hind feet if you keep riding her. She gets tired. She will tie up if you try riding about 5 miles… She is limited.

The only thing I have noticed that consistently helps her is lots of movement, forced exercise for a couple minutes every day, and low sugar. It’s definitely not a cure. She’s not quite right and is relegated to giving short rides to a young teen (that lacks confidence and needs a steady eddy). Fortunately they seem to do well together as the girl does not want to ride like the wind and is quite happy going around slowly. I prefer a much more peppy ride so that works out for everyone.

Stifle issues also come to mind. I would ask for some work (walk/trot) and see if he gets worse as the 20 minutes of exercise continues. Worsening symptoms when asked to exercise, usually suggests muscle disease, especially if they start out fine and gradually get worse as you ask them to work.

It isn’t that these horses don’t want to move, it is that they physically cannot do it.

My mare was wonderful as a younger horse, but she started having issues around age 15 and it went downhill from there. I am hopeful she is doing better with being ridden every day (as she hasn’t tied up), but I would still consider her exercise intolerant or at least limited to 30 minutes or less of mostly light work.

3 Likes

This would make me curious about a muscle disease, too. I’m not super familiar with the various ones but it might be worth exploring. How many days after day 3 does it take for him to be back to “normal” (for him)?

Is he barefoot for hand walking? It could be foot pain, but I would think that would show up on the second day, not the third. I would be exploring the muscle path, personally.

Nope, out 24/7!

Yes, barefoot all around. Shoes had him stubbing his front toes and tripping constantly, and he seems much more sound barefoot. That said, once I get his feet together (they’re ridiculously flat and flared… again, shoes did not vibe with him), I have boots for all 4.

His stifles are certainly weak - he’s got 0 muscle right now. But this is 2 days coming out of the barn decently sound, and day 3 we don’t even get out the door without dragging/forging/tripping.

This I haven’t yet determined. I keep a log, but we have no footing here so usually he doesn’t get taken out for a walk unless the ground is perfectly dry - this means I haven’t had a consistent schedule. I’m going to experiment with days off and at least take him out on the driveway to see how he’s feeling.

Do you notice any difference in his movement in turnout? Does he move less, or more carefully, if walking around on his own, or just when required to move on the lead? Does he ever play hard then come up sore in the same way?

No experience with your situation, it just seems like something worth observing if you can. Good luck!

Grey

He plays hard in turnout, but in little spurts. Then he stands around, whatever moving he does is about the same as what he does on the lead. I think. I’ll have to watch him carefully.

Aren’t you just getting started on fitting him up, after lots of time off and some medical changes?

I wouldn’t be looking for zebras just yet. Instead of going for 3 days in a row right now, lengthen the walks on Day 1 and Day 2, introduce some trot when the walks are 30 minutes a piece. It could be that he’s just sore by Day 3.

6 months of concentrated fitness work, then reassess.

4 Likes

Yes, he’s been sitting. It’s such a huge change from day to day that it has me spooked :sweat_smile:. Though I am guilty of over analyzing him specifically. He’s just so different from every other horse in the barn.

I can try working him every other day, or two on two off. I can try one “schedule” for a couple weeks just to see how it goes.

3 Likes

Maybe try two on, one off. See if one day is enough to have him freshen up and get ready for more.

3 Likes

Would he be sorefooted? Not sure if you weaned him off or pulled them all at once, but suddenly being without shoes can make a horse very sore. And nobody wants to move about when feet are sore.

Your post indicated that he seemed more comfy without shoes, but, hmmmm… Can you get those hoofboots on him to at least see how he responds to some padding btwn. the hoof and the ground?

1 Like

Potentially, but I’m pretty aware of when he’s sore and this doesn’t look like that. In fact he’s moving better than he did in shoes (even with the trip/scuff/forge lol).

But, as soon as I can get him trimmed up I’ll have boots for him - farrier is due out next week. There’s no weaning him off shoes unfortunately, I’m working with “the best I can do” here :sweat_smile:.

ETA: his feet are flared bad enough there’s no getting boots on as he is right now. I’ve been rolling his toes a bit as I can but I need an actual trim done before I can get boots on.

“Motion is lotion” is the adage about arthritis–keeping them moving consistently keeps them from getting creaky, so it doesn’t seem to fit here.

I agree it may just be because he’s tired. Even though he lives out, what you’re asking him to do is different than his day to day. Gabapentin can also contribute to lethargy. Maybe it’s not contributing unless he’s already a little worn out, but is amplifying his tiredness when he is.

Give it time. Step back a little. Maybe 20 minutes of focused work every day–even if “work” is just walking–is still just a bit much for him now. I wouldn’t go looking for zebras just yet.

7 Likes

Honestly I didn’t know about the lethargy connection to gabapentin! He’s definitely sleepier - this horse almost never lays down and rarely cocks a leg, but he does stand there looking half drugged with his head down and a drooping lip (which he didn’t do pre-gabapentin, though the not-laying-down isn’t new).

I’ll back off his “workload” regardless. I did order some Tri-Amino just to see, since I’m hedging my bets towards PSSM2 or whatever if this is a muscle issue, vs PSSM1 since he’s a TB.

ETA we don’t see him lay down or rest a leg, but it’s a quiet place without 24/7 eyes on him. Suffice to say we see the others nap, but not him, he only comes in dirty from a roll or sneaky nap.

1 Like

Maybe the first day is really interesting and a little exciting but by the third day it is more boring. I know I get bored hand walking!

3 Likes

Oh, god, yes, it can be super sedating. It’s dose dependent, so if you think he’s too out of it, you might try going down a little on the dose to see if you can get the same pain control with less sedation.

Or, if you don’t want to risk losing pain control, just know that yeah, it can knock them out!

3 Likes

Huh, the more you know. Vet is going to be out later so I hadn’t asked yet but they also didn’t warn me :laughing:. I learned something!

Sounds like a PSSM variant to me. PSSM1 tests are available today on AnimalGenetics for 50% off (so $20 rather than $40) with a mane pull.

Won’t help you if its one of the other variants, but a fairly inexpensive diagnostic to rule out if he’s a breed known to be potentially afflicted.

It doesn’t really sound like my horse’s PSSM, but I can’t tell you which one he has, so not much help there.

However, with my horse’s PSSM, if he comes out NQR I have to get my mean on and make him go anyway. Lighter work and rest days make things worse. I’m not making him go all out regular work, but pushing him a little past where he’s offering. A little more march in the walk, a bit more forward in trot, not cantering.

I wondered about boredom as well. Do you have somewhere to set up 4-6 poles about 3’ apart? Walking over poles set very slightly shorter than the horse’s normal stride can help them loosen up and activate the postural muscles (instead of bracing).

Changing walk speeds is helpful for my guy on his pokey days. After 5-10 minutes of walking I start asking him to march as forward as he can maintain (I encourage forward often, but he should be able to go at least 4 steps without before he starts slowing) for 30-40 steps, then stop asking and go at his pace for 30-40 steps, before repeating. His pace gets more forward with this exercise.

Now that I think about it, my horse has been showing a similar pattern to yours with the recent hand walking. He’s less willing to go on the third day. This is not his PSSM. When he’s pokey the first day out, that’s likely to be his PSSM.

3 Likes

Honestly “forward” isn’t necessarily the problem. He’s marching, maybe slightly less than usual, but I’d have to pay more attention. Usually I’m having to half-jog to keep up with his walk, but I think he has been slower on day 3. It’s the other stuff that I really noticed.

Just chiming in to say my cats’ vet prescribes gabapentin solely as a sedative before stressful treatments. That is all.

4 Likes