Horse-People With Health Issues, and Horses

I looked for the “Horseless Riders/Riderless Horses” thread but couldn’t find it, so here goes …

Do you have any ideas for how a horseless horse-person might be able to meet a personless-horse (with or without soundless issues) just to hang out together? Maybe groom, hand graze, carrot-feed, something?

I am so bored with being horseless. I have no money for lessons, even if I were in sound enough shape to get any good from them without de-training the horse.

At this point I’d be happy just to play the role of a surrogate grandparent/aunt/friend and just sit in the shade and watch a lesson or a schooling session, hand up the water bottles, videotape the ride, etc.

It’s hot as hades right now but it won’t be this hot forever and I want to figure out something but I don’t know how to start. I’d like to do something at an actual businesslike barn, just for safety’s and comfort’s sake, but I’d also like to get involved in some way, with something, in exchange for the happiness of being around horses and horse-people.

Where are you located? I’ve forgotten. :smiley: Because, as a horse person with health issues with horses, I’d love some company. And lord knows my boys love attention! :slight_smile: But I am not a businesslike barn (private farm).

1 Like

Have you considered volunteering at a therapeutic riding program, if there is one near you? There are multiple tasks that they are likely to need help with - grooming, tacking up, side walkers, misc barn maintenance…

In my area, there seem to be several equine based programs that have sprung up to work particularly with veterans. They seem to be looking for volunteers. Is that something that would interest you?

3 Likes

That, good place to start.

I have friends that are old and young, with and without health problems, that have asked same as the OP and have directed to our therapy with horses group.

Rescues are also another place to volunteer to be around horses.

1 Like

It’s always worth just dropping in to a local public barn and introducing yourself to the owner or manager. Our barn has a number of retirees, school horses and kinda-absent-border horses for which the BO is always grateful to have someone to give them extra TLC, especially if you know what you are doing. We have a couple women who have done this and become part of the barn family.

The horse/rider matching thread you are looking for is pinned at the top of the Off Course main page.

Grey

1 Like

Oh boy I wish you were closer! I have a lovely personless 9 yr old Walker who is retired at my daughter in laws family farm. He could use some grooming and loving!! I’m sure horses in need are out there…but yeah, hard to find.

In in addition to the therapy places, maybe check out retirement farms.

1 Like

What about farm sitting? I’m looking for someone now for Oct, feeling worried… Good animal sitters are worth their weight in gold.

1 Like

Rescues and therapeutic riding programs are a good place to start but so are local farms or riding establishments. I have several times been asked to care for horses whose owners didn’t have much time for them. One person even offered to pay for some of my lessons in return for caring for her horse after a medical procedure that required daily care and wrapping. I’m sure there are lots of animals that need some TLC and would benefit from your attention.

Volunteering in any way in any horse event will expand your social circle and create opportunities.

I would call up a couple barns that are close by and ask them if they have any retirees that would like to be brushed a couple times per week. Lesson barns may also appreciate having someone knowledgeable hanging around on busy lesson nights to help out.

Once everyone sees what you’re capable of you may get more offers. A few years ago when I lived in a different province my mom would pay a barn rat $20 a week while she was down south for the winter to bring her gelding in, brush him, and text her a picture.