Unlimited access >

Horse Proof Two Way Slam Latch...does it exist?

I think I’m looking for the unicorn of all unicorns but…

I’m looking for a gate latch that accommodates a two-way swinging gate that can be ‘slam latched’/pulled shut one handed/etc…but can’t be opened by my mischievous, agile-lipped horses. Ideally not $100/latch too?

I don’t need to be able to ride through or anything like that, just want to maintain full functionality of my swinging gate while keeping the equines enclosed without requiring the current chain wrap.

How, in the year 2024, can I not find this?!

Check with any dairy barn builders in your area. They will know exactly what you need and they probably will have them (for $$$, sadly). Bonus - cow proof = horse proof since cows are experts at figuring out latches.

A ranch I used to work on had these in the shipping pens and overnight horse pen. Probably not the exact brand but same idea. The cattle and horses never played with them but I wasn’t a fan using them working gates a horseback though.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e06fca-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&itemguid=3269d6ed-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&sfb=1&grp=6000&grpc=6500&grpsc=6520&sp=f&utm_content=23984&ccd=IFF003&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwvKtBhDrARIsAJj-kTgbA9Asn0jAeBgongLQ6OPD8KlNVIQP7HP8IyWCtXQTN2XSw2eHbW8aAveKEALw_wcB

We have a version of the Valley Vet one posted above on our heaviest, longest gates. It is nice to be able to swing the gate closed from where ever along its length, instead of having to be positioned right at the latch. Have operated this type many times on horseback.

For other gates, we really like the Kiwi style gate latch, because they can be done one-handed, although not slammed shut (drop a hook in an eye instead), and have been horse-proof. There are lots of knock-offs:

https://www.kiwifence.com/gate_accessories.php#gnzlc

Just know if you keep gates OPEN with horses turned out that these latches can cause horrific injuries if they are hit while running by. Someone I know said they knew of a terrible injury from a latch. So, I use a strand of duct tape and insulation foam noodles and make a strong barrier.

I love the latches and the easy close. Well, relatively easy since I have to pull back the foam etc. I also double protect closing with a long chain given the foam barrier and have found more than once I thought the gate was closed when it wasn’t.

In other places I use them not involved in turnout and they are great.

These aren’t slam shut but I have them on every gate. They’re easy, nothing to break, you can do them with one hand, and you can put the screw eye wherever on the post is safest.

1 Like

Exactly why we like them, too.

1 Like

We have these on the big gates that separate our cattle pastures but no way would I trust it to keep an " agile lipped" horse where they belong. I have one of those as well and I struggle with my gate when feeding…

Yep, I have the two way slam latches linked above all over the property and love them. The gate is supported on both ends, they’re easy to open and close, and I’ve never had a horse lip the mechanism. It’s probably possible, but it would take some talent!

I did have one “open gate” incidence and I think the horses were dicking around in the paddock and body slammed the gate…which then popped open, which is certainly less than ideal :grimacing: I rehung the gate to seat the latch deeper in the mechanism, and chain that one, for my peace of mind, during the day when they’re all out. It’s never happened again, and I’ve never found the gate unlatched but chained, so I think it was just a freak thing and/or rehanging the gate did the trick.

It’s still mucho easier than other latches, and I’m still a fan. Highly recommend!

1 Like