Horse related quotes, sayings, proverbs?

Student teaching…I am responsible for coming up with a quote for our classroom blackboard each day. I am getting a case of “quote fatigue.” I beg for inspiration!

So what are your favorite horse related quotes, sayings, proverbs?

(OMGoodness–I missed my 2000th post!)

MCL

Geez, I’m sure you’ll get bombarded with them. There’s so many. I’ll only post one that I’ve always liked since I was a youngster:

Now I lay me down to rest
Please place my spurs upon my chest
And if you want to honor me
Then please go set my horse’s free

(old cowboy saying)

Equine Crash Test Dummy
Member of: Non-GPA Clique
80’s Clique
Connecticut Clique
Helmet Nazi Clique

"His stance is proud,
His heart is pure,
His loyalty unbound.

And when he runs
his hoofbeats echo
thunders noble sound.

His swiftness challenges the wind
in untamed majesty.

His spirit ever riderless,
his soul forever free."

I’m not sure who the author is, but I love it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LIHS Western Chair:
How did I miss this thread??? Oh well, better late than never !!

“Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword” --from The Koran

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not from the Qur’an, although it is popularly ascribed as so.

It may be a mildly corrupted form of a hadith.

Unashamed member of the Arab clique…just settin’ on the Group W bench.

“Look back at our struggle for freedom
Trace our present day’s strength to its source;
And you’ll find that man’s pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.”
Unknown

1 Like

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by claire:
Not that this is approriate for your school purposes…but it always makes me laugh:

“I can’t understand the pleasure people find with horses…a horse is an animal dangerous at both ends and most uncomfortable in the middle”

I think it was Churchill that said that…not sure though!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that quote is from Ian Fleming

From Cherry Hill:
“Keep your mind in the middle and a leg on each side.”

i know of this site and it has tons of quotes all about horses…
http://www.horses.co.uk/horses/quotes.html

but my fav’s are from the O’Connor’s none the less…

“To have a horse go well, after all the preparation…it is magic.” - David O’Connor

“I remember the first few times that I rode. It felt wonderful to have an animal under me, to feel the power, to be able to go fast. Just having a relationship with an animal was really a great thing for me.” - Karen O’Connor

~“When you train a horse on a daily basis, you’re a part of the horse’s movement, you’re a part of his motion. Everything that the horse experiences is coming from you. There’s a total connection – a true friendship – and the connection touches the soul completely.” -Karen O’Connor~

~“I really like the communication with the horse – watching them become confident and discover the amazing things they can do. There’s definitely a personal kind of closeness between you and the horse. There’s a connection between your personalities.” -David O’Connor~
i just love those two!!!

2 Likes

Half the failures of this world arise from pulling in one’s horse as he is leaping.
–Augustus Hare

Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success.
–Dale Carnegie

Science is not a sacred cow. Science is a horse. Don’t worship it. Feed it.
–Aubrey Eben

Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that has the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.
–Dale Carnegie

. . .A horse is a thing of such beauty. . .none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.
–Xenophon

The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.
– Arabian proverb

Four things greater than all things are Women and horses and power and War
–Rudyard Kipling

For want of a nail a shoe was lost, for want of a shoe a horse was lost,
for want of a horse a rider was lost, for want of a rider a army was lost,
for want of an army a battle was lost, for want of a battle the war was
lost, for want of the war the kingdom was lost, and all for the want of a
little horseshoe nail.
–Benjamin Franklin

Kiss

~Riding: The art of keeping a horse between my butt and the ground.~

1 Like

For want of a nail a Kingdom was lost

A horse, a horse. My Kingdom for a horse.

Job 39:19

Hast thou given the horse strength? hast thou clothed his neck with thunder?
That is, given him courage? which is meant by neighing and shaking his neck.
He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men.
He beats with his hoof.
He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he the sound of the trumpet.
He so rides the ground that it seems nothing under him.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

1 Like

god created women so his horses would survive

Wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears

• Arabian Proverb

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction

“It appears we are being transformed from an information
society to an informant society.” Rep. Dennis Kucinich

1 Like

Not that this is approriate for your school purposes…but it always makes me laugh:

“I can’t understand the pleasure people find with horses…a horse is an animal dangerous at both ends and most uncomfortable in the middle”

I think it was Churchill that said that…not sure though!

1 Like

If wishes were horses, than beggars would ride- I don’t know the author or origin.

Posted by x “Horse sense is something that a horse has that keeps it from betting on men.” I believe that was Mark Twain.

Two of my favorites:

“One of the things that makes life worth living is sharing it with other species.” Mark Pokras, Director of the Wildlife Clinic at Tufts University.

“The greatness of a nation and it’s moral progress can be judged by the way it’s animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.” Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks for all the great replies…this has been a fun thread!

MCL

I used to put quotes on the barn whiteboard every day-- can’t remember why I stopped. Maybe I’ll start again now.
This is OT, but does anyone remember the poem about Man O’War? It sends tingles down my spine whenever I read it and I would love to read it again.

Here’s my contibution–from an unknown author:

Let Me Teach You

When you are tense, let me teach you to relax.

When you are short tempered, let me teach you to be patient.

When you are short sighted, let me teach you to see.

When you are quick to react let me teach you to me thoughtful.

When you are angry, let me teach you to be serene.

When you feel superior, let me teach you be respectful.

When you are self-absorbed, let me teach you to think of greater things.

When you are arrogant, let me teach you humility.

When you are lonely, let me be your companion.

When you are tired, let me carry the load.

When you need to learn, let me teach you.

After all, I am your horse.

As has been said before, it’s only a job if you’d rather be doing something else.

1 Like

Dixie I think thats the one I put on the whiteboard out at the barn awhile ago. I have a whole list of quotes and things I like (both horsey and not). Its not on the my comp, but on my brother’s. So I will try and get my brother to send them to me. I started a new list on this computer but it doesn’t have that many yet. Here’s one:
You don’t throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Carolina Girls- Best in the World.

How did I miss this thread??? Oh well, better late than never !!

Horses… its a wonder God didn’t keep them for Himself. ~UNKNOWN

“I never play horseshoes 'cause Mother taught us not to throw our clothes around”…Mr. Ed

“On the first day God said, ‘Let their be horses; on the second He painted them.’” …unknown…this one is for you, Auntie Lynnie >g<

Old Proverbs: “An ass is an ass, though laden with gold.” “Every ass loves to hear himself bray.” “Every ass thinks himself worthy to stand with the King’s horses.” “The ass of a King is still but an ass.” (German proverb)

“Stable thinking is the ability to say’neigh’.” unknown

Both a horse and a man have something in common, both dump you, though generally you get over the horse’s dumping first." Unknown

“Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.” Anonymous

Show me your horse, and I will tell you who you are. - Old English saying

Differences: Some will Some won’t Some do Some don’t Some are high strung Some act as if they don’t care Some get excited Some stay calm Some seem to get it Some act as if they’re dumb Some give up Some lay down Some go fast Some slow down Some learn fast Some seem to know Some want to lead Some want to follow Some have purpose Some are hallow It just goes to show All horsemen/women are not the same …Unknown

“One man’s wrong lead is another man’s counter canter.” Steven D. Price

Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. - C.J.J.MULLEN

“A canter is a cure for every evil.” Benjamin Disraeli

“There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain’t a thing.” Will Rogers

“How short do my stirrups have to be?” Erin King, age 11, at her first English Show before she went into Short Stir Up class…sorry Widge, I couldn’t resist

“Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it.” John Trotwood Moore

“No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle” --Winston Churchill

“Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword” --from The Koran

“A horse is the projection of people’s dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” --Pam Brown

" Never give up. For fifty years they said the horse was through. Now look at him-a status symbol." Fletcher Knebel

“Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses.” Elizabeth Taylor

“When I hear somebody talk about a horse or a cow being stupid, I figure it’s a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them.” Tom Dorance

“Soothe your horse when he wheezes, or one day, he may turn and kick you where he pleases!” Anonymous …submitted by Rose Ott !!

“You know a horse when you can look into his eyes and feel his pain.” …Unknown

"Closeness, friendship, affection: keeping your own horse means all these things. " -Bertrand Leclair-

“In riding a horse, we borrow freedom.” -Pam Brown-

“A true horseman does not look at the horse with his eyes, he looks at him with his heart.” “Our souls are entwined. My horse’s and mine.” …Unknown

“My ladies have promised that I shall never be sold, and so I have nothing to fear. And here my story ends. My troubles are over and I am at home…standing with my friends under the apple trees.” Black Beauty

“There are no bad horses…only bad owners.” Ron Flory

The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth… All things are connected like the blood which unites a family… Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." Chief Seattle (1854)

“Don’t be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him” --Jelaluddin Rumi

“The horse will leap over trenches, will jump out of them, will do anything else, provided one grants him praise and respite after his accomplishment.” --Xenophon

Eileen

“Always saddle your own horse.” Connie Reeves 1901-2003 Member of the Cowgirl Hall Of Fame

The Long Island Horsemen’s Society web page
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/lihs/

1 Like

A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service. - Plutarch

Pat
http://www.quarterpole.com

1 Like

I used to have a website with 16 pages of all quotes! But I cant find it So I put a few that I remember. Also if you check through Horse Illustrated magazines, there are quotes put in various places.

In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1100 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs—its just something you cant get from a pet hamster!

There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle, one is a sense of humor, and the other is patience -John Lyons

Words are as beautiful as horses, and sometimes just as difficult to corral.

It is difficult horses that have the most to give you.

All horses deserve, at least once in life, to be loved by a little girl.

Well thats all I got now! Let me know if you need more! lol

“You could say I’m a few flakes short of a bale”

1 Like