Unlimited access >

Horse Retirement Facility Needed - NW NJ or NE PA Preferred

I am looking for a place to retire my 32 year old Quarter Horse. He is a foundation QH and has a wonderful disposition. I would [I]prefer a place that I could go visit him, located in the areas I mentioned, but most importantly, I need a place that I can trust in the integrity of the caretakers. He and I have been together 23 years, and have done so much together. I can’t spend a king’s ransom for his retirement, as I would like to get another horse if possible, but again, I do want a place that I can feel comfortable knowing he’s well cared for in his golden years. He’s earned it. He could also be a great companion horse for another retired horse or any horse that needs companionship. Please contact me if you know of such a place. Thank you very much!

following

I dunno how far it would be for you, but I retired my guy [who I had for 23 years] in Goshen NY,… best, best, best farm and staff… could not have chosen better.

If that location is an option, I’ll gladly PM you the name [when I clean out my PM box]

You may have more luck seeking retirement type board at a place w/ fewer riding facilities that is small and privately managed than finding a ‘retirement barn’ per se. There are some around, but not many, and you will be surprised how little money you are going to save, particularly if you stay in a relatively densely populated area. I don’t know exactly where you live or what kind of board you are already paying, but I would NOT count on saving a ton of money, unless he is currently boarded at some kind of extra fancy show barn now.

This is the long way of saying, if you expect your savings moving him to a retirement facility is going to enable you to afford another horse, that could be tough.

Look at Old Friends Farm in Loganton PA: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Friends-Farm/333943749962998?fref=ts

Expect to pay some money and have the BO insist that he be on full care. A horse of that age is not a candidate for pasture life unless heavily supported with individual feeding where he doesn’t have to compete for his share. He’ll likely also need blanketing and attention to his “senior” needs, which means a sharp eye on him who knows what they’re seeing. I second the poster above who said you’d likely do best looking for a local barn with excellent care but fewer riding facilities and amenities to hold the price down.

I won’t even take a horse of this age on as a new client; it’s law of diminishing returns due to his likely very high-maintenance needs, and he’s unlikely to be around long due to very advanced age. Those who ATTAIN those ages, having come in at 22 or 26 and lived with me for 5 or 10 years, I’ll happily keep in super condition to the bitter end–they’ve earned it by tenure.

Thank you all for your responses. I would be very happy with a small place where my horse could get more personalized attention. A boarding barn with a lot of activity to me is not the place for a retired horse. He is able to be used for light riding . But he has a great disposition and if he could be in a place with one other or just a few other horses I would be thrilled.

The only bit of advice I could offer is that these small places don’t do a lot of advertising etc and probably openings are few and far between. You probably will have to beat the bushes a bit – as your vet, put the word out with your local horsey connections etc.

[QUOTE=cbf714;8138906]
Thank you all for your responses. I would be very happy with a small place where my horse could get more personalized attention. A boarding barn with a lot of activity to me is not the place for a retired horse. He is able to be used for light riding . But he has a great disposition and if he could be in a place with one other or just a few other horses I would be thrilled.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like what might work out great is a private stable that takes a boarder or two–retirees are very attractive to these barns as it’s just the horse care with no one riding. They tend to be very, very quiet. Best place to look for that situation is the index cards on the bulletin board of your local feed store. Also, pass the word via vets, farriers, friends, and tack store owners. Good Luck! :slight_smile:

Hello Angela! Could you please DM me with the name of the farm you mentioned in Goshen? I’m looking for a place near there. Thank you!

I second Old Friend’s Farm in Loganton, PA. Sonny spent his last 3 years there. He had wonderful care. The owner is also a fellow CoTH member.