Unlimited access >

Horse Retirement in Southern California

I have been trying to get my 7 year old warmblood mare sound for two years from an Impar ligament injury. I have finally hit the end of the road and need to find a retirement situation for her. She just won’t stay sound with regular work. I would love to be able to visit with her and I live in the LA area…any recommendations for places?

If it isn’t too far away for you, there are some fairly reasonable boarding facilities in the Palmdale/Lancaster area. I don’t live there, but I know a few horse people who do & could ask for recommendations.

I’ve been looking around a bit and like Terri Eden’s horse retirement the best of the options I’ve seen or heard about. Not exactly an easy place to visit on a regular basis (about 40 minutes north of Paso Robles).

I’ve rejected some places that were regular boarding barns 1-2 hours from home since it doesn’t seem fair to the horse or barn owner to be more of an absentee owner at a regular boarding facility.

In The Irons, over in Santa Barbara. It’s a bit of a drive, but its an amazing facility and they have a couple retirees there.

Heavenly Acres in Corona.

I have heard absolutely wonderful things about Terri Eadens facility and she has a great reputation. I think she has a waiting list because I don’t believe she takes on more horses until one has passed on. But check it out. I looked into her a few years ago for my oldie.

My mom lives in Barstow. Is that too far for you? She may be open to the idea of adding a horse to her farm. It’s just her gelding and he seems lonely.

[QUOTE=UlysMom;7183664]
I have heard absolutely wonderful things about Terri Eadens facility and she has a great reputation. I think she has a waiting list because I don’t believe she takes on more horses until one has passed on. But check it out. I looked into her a few years ago for my oldie.[/QUOTE]She has a couple of openings at the moment. She was at 53 horses as of a couple of weeks ago and can go to 60.