Unlimited access >

Horse rolls under fence - how to handle safely?

Hi All,

I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for me on how to safely (for person & equine) handle the situation where a horse has rolled against a fence and gotten legs caught underneath?
My gelding has done this twice – apparently those darn solid objects sneak up on him! – by rolling near to a gate or a fence and flipping all the way over and getting his legs wedged under the lowest fence rail.

I did some searching and found a great thread on how to safely rescue a horse cast in a stall, but a lot of the premise was if you can move the shoulders far enough then can push against the wall with their front feet.
If there’s nothing for them to push against, what is the safest way to handle?

The first instance the horse waited patiently for us to remove the metal gate from around his legs.
The second instance was 3 rail stretched plastic fencing and while the staff were trying to get a tractor over to somehow pull him back out (?? Still not sure how that could be done?) he decided he was done waiting and scrambled up. Thank goodness for tough plastic that has some give. No equines were hurt either time, but I feel like we got lucky.

What is the safest way? Obviously if it’s a wooden fence it’s to remove the plank, but if it’s something more substantial?

Thanks.

I had a horse get a couple of his legs THROUGH a steel cable and pipe fence by doing that. I was able to get them under the fence, and he had enough of his body free to push away as he came up and only gave me a moderate heart attack. If I had a second set of hands (I called for help from someone riding, who ignored me??), I would have tried rolling him back over.

I take it the plastic fencing doesn’t have an anchor point that could be disconnected to loosen the bottom “rail”?

I also can’t quite see how a tractor would be useful, unless they were able to use the bucket to lift the rail. I have witnessed a couple of horse rescues, including my own 26-year-old horse, for which a bellyband and hauling mechanism were required. In the case of my horse the hauling mechanism was a full squad of firemen but I’ve also seen videos of tractors and cranes put to use. But I would never want it attempted without the bellyband. Too much risk of injury to neck, spine, or legs.

I know this wasn’t your question, but if it were my horse, I would put step-in posts with hotwire inside the existing fence.

Unfortunately there is no magic easy answer. If possible I try to tsk ed the fence down (relatively easy with wire or tape or even the plastic, hard with boards.) Sometimes multiple people can drag the horse back a few feet, possibly after tranquilizing it. The issue is with a panicking horse, when it is just not possible to get close enough to safely do anything-- those are some of the lones 30 second periods of my life. Thankfully IME it’s relatively rare for an adult horse to end up in this position – they generally are pretty smart about not lying too close to the fence.

Highflyer - Hopefully his brainstem will continue to develop as the first time he did it he was 5 and the next time he was 6, and he has yet to repeat the performance in the same location (knocks on wood).

JoZ - I will have to take a look at the anchor points on the plastic fencing. I know they are securely fastened to the posts every 8 feet or so, but where the original start of the plastic is, I am not sure. I should probably familiarize myself with it now, rather than when I’m sprinting up the fenceline…

IPE - Is there a link or something as to what a safe way to flip a horse back over is? I would have never thought about rolling him back over, but there were sufficient people around and he was calm enough that I probably could have tried.

Sigh, at least I haven’t missed some incredibly obvious answer…

I got my mower deck wedged under the fence once and just took down the fence board. If the horse would stay still, you could pull the board off.

I think the general advice is to use rope around the legs to roll the horse back over. The guy I had get stuck was just laying there perfectly still and looked up at me like, um, help? Given his particular personality, we probably could have just grabbed his legs by hand. That’s what I wound up doing to try to push his hind legs back to the other side of the fence. In his case, his front end was far enough away that he could scramble up. Given that he was THROUGH the fence, it might have been easier to lift the legs up and over, as it was pretty difficult to get his stuck hind leg underneath with the other hind, but it would have required at least 2 people.

If the horse is panicked, then ropes would definitely be safer.

I’ve also read that you can try to drag the front end away from the fence fairly safely by grabbing mane.

You don’t need a full belly band for a horse who’s cast on a fence since their weight will still be supported by the ground, you can do it with lunge lines. The key is to go slowly and put your lines in the right place–in the girth area, for moving the shoulders, and in front of the hind legs for moving the rump. If you’re all by yourself, pull one end of the horse at a time–if you have more people you can do both at once. Don’t lift at all and don’t jerk the lines, just lean into it and slowly drag the horse along the ground. Also don’t knot the lines or anything, so you can drop them and they will just fall off as soon as the horse gets up and moves away, usually the horse can get up sooner than you expect. You can use also use lunge lines as your flipping tool if the situation seems to be better for flipping.

I used an angel. No really. A friend and I were alone at the barn when we found a horse stuck under the fence. Head, shoulders and belly up to his hips were outside the fence, and he was stuck. There was no way we were going to be able to pull him out ourselves. I sat on his head to keep him from flailing and breaking his back, while we tried to figure something out. (Pre cell phone era.)

Now this was in an all-English barn, at a large university.

As we sat there, an old pick-up drove down the driveway and straight up to the corral. A cowboy got out, took a look, went to his truck and pulled out a lasso rope. He put it around the horse’s hind feel and pulled the horse out.

Got into his truck and drove away.

So that’s how you get him un-stuck.

[QUOTE=Gamma;8420946]
You don’t need a full belly band for a horse who’s cast on a fence since their weight will still be supported by the ground, you can do it with lunge lines.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear. I was still trying to puzzle out the possible use of the tractor. I wouldn’t use a piece of machinery without a full bellyband – I certainly agree that longe lines or any type of rope could be useful when human powered! I have used ropes on a cast horse and on ones who were stuck under stall panels. I don’t miss the stalls made out of pipe panels. My landlord lost a horse that way, but my landlord was a jackass and didn’t do due diligence in checking or rescuing the horse. Worst horse injury I had was a lot of road rash and a stiff neck, but it’s ugly while it’s going on!

So the other day out fox hunting the horse in front of me refused a coop, went left along the fence line for one stride and then…somehow stumbled over the woven wire fence, landing parallel to the fence on the other side of the fence, feet facing the fence. Rider went down with the horse. Rider was able to move away (ended up with a broken collar bone requiring surgery). Horse struggled for a nano second and then said…HELP. Two people who had already jumped the coop were able to help and I was on the wrong side of the coop (feet side). In the mare’s nano second of struggle she had gotten one shoe hung in a section of wire. We had to get wire cutters from one of the field members to cut that section of fence free. We used a hunt whip to loop around the hind legs, a person to keep one of her front legs bent so it wouldn’t get re-caught in the wire, and myself pushing on the hindquarters to get her flipped. We had to get one more person to help with the pushing to get her flipped.

I would not have wanted to be alone dealing with a horse caught in a woven wire fence!!

I have had to help with a horse cast in a stall, and was able to get her uncast by myself.

I had to help get a pony out of a 3 horse slant trailer that had fallen and gotten cast in the front stall. Older trailer that had an escape door in the front, but the door latch was frozen and the pin in the chest bar was frozen. Thankfully had a big hammer and WD40 in the tool box of my truck. (This incident happened in the carpool line at school. A classmate of my son was going to a lesson after school.)

None of these horses belonged to me.

For the OP, I would get some sand and place it in a place FAR away from any obstructions so that your horse can get his itch on without getting hung up.

I have had a horse get stuck under a board fence, just the legs, and was able to pull the boards to get her unstuck. ( Just now realizing all horses I’ve dealt with that were stuck were mares!)

To safely roll a horse, either alone or with one other person. Use two long lead roles, or longelines if all your leads are short. Leads are better as they will fall away from the horse more easily, but both work.

Standing at the horse’s back (spine between withers and hip) loop the first lead around the bottom leg’s pastern (so if the horse is on his left side, loop around the left pastern). Loop the other lead around the lower hind leg’s pastern. Take both ends of the foreleg rope in one hand and both ends of the hind leg rope in the other and back away to take up the slack. The horse’s legs will fold up.

Now increase the pull, steadily, and back away from the horse (use your legs to pull). Generally the horse stays quiet until just before he reaches the tipping point - keep pulling, even as he starts to struggle. If you let go too early he will just roll back to where he was. By continuing to pull you will provide the support he needs to push himself back over. When he reaches the tipping point his legs will come towards you, and the roped legs will unfold (if he hasn’t already unfolded them). Drop the ropes as soon as gravity is pulling him the rest of the way over. Quickly back up out of his way.

The ropes will fall free as he stands up.

The key to doing this safely is in the release. If you let go too soon the horse tends to struggle more the next time, and sometimes when you are relooping the ropes round his legs.

If there are two of you, you will each pull on one rope. I will suggest you explain the process to your helper and ask them to release their rope when you say “let go!”. I had a helper let go too early once and I can tell you it is far harder to pull a horse over by one foreleg.

All good advice. As one person said there probably no “exact procedure” because each case may/will present different problems.

Horses generally roll along/near the fence line because that is where the dirt is. The “best dirt” it seems. Making, providing a nice size “sand roll” usually takes care of the problem. Most horses that are “rollers” almost always make a beeline for it.

I only use wood fencing. The odd time a horse has done this the board breaks long before any harm comes to the horse. Or the boards are easily removed.

Here was my personal nightmare… A harness horse at our track spooked and tried to jump the chain link fence… he made it 1/2 way over and impaled himself through the chest on the pole. his feet were on the ground but he looked like a merry go round horse. The state vet- who is supposed to be of help in emergencies - freaked out and hid in the race office. it took 45 minutes and about 15 of us to hold him still while they got all of his equipment off and worked on removing the section of fence. He finally had enough and reared pulling himself off ond leaving a gaping wound. We literally shoved 2 sweatshirts inside to compress the bleeding. A private vet was called who made it from his house to the track in record time. He did 3 hours of surgery and weeks of drains antibiotics and wound care. believe it or not this horse is now a riding horse and doing great
We dont know how he didn’t get a major artery just alot of muscle damage and was inches from his heart…

Solution: Do not let it happen in the first place.

Turn him out in an anti-cast surcingle. It’s like a regular surcingle, but it has a “handle” on the top so the horse cannot roll all the way over.
http://www.doversaddlery.com/anti-cast-roller/p/X1-30251/

Horses do not get cast when they lie down. They get cast when they roll and flip over. If he cannot flip over, he will not get caught under fences.

I once had a situation with really tempting sand pits near the fence where they ran and tore it up. I put big rocks there so it was not so tempting, and loosened up a spot to roll away from the fence.

Get yourself two long, thick cotton ropes. About 30 feet long each. These are your “decasting ropes”. It works best with two humans involved, but if only one is present, one does as best as one can. With two people, one rope goes over the front legs, one on the hind end. On the front, put both legs in the rope, on the cannons or pasterns. The plan is to fold those front legs up to the chest during the pull. Hind end rope also goes on the cannons, they can be pulled forward if necessary. Get the ropes onto the hind legs swiftly, and keep yourself from being kicked in the face should the horse suddenly start to struggle. Keep yourself away from the feet and legs, once the ropes are in place. If you need to pull the front end out a bit first (if wedged right under the fence) the rope can be pulled up inbetween the front legs and around the lower edge of the neck on the underside, and sheer pull the front end out. If two people can’t get this done, or as many people as you can muster, that is where the tractor can come into play if necessary. Once clear enough, pull on both sets of legs at once, and turn the horse over so that he is clear to get up. If exhausted, he may need some encouragement to get up at this point. If there is a depression under the fence, and THAT is part of the problem, he will need to be pulled part way up the side of the depression before turning him, which will put him into a propped up state once turned.

Watch a recently freed cast horse closely. Sometimes the reason he has become cast is that he is colicy. If not sick, most horses learn to be careful of where the fences are. If sick, they don’t think about this as well as they do if they are just laying down and having a roll. That being said, I did have a filly who used to get cast daily… she just didn’t care. She would just lay there, and wait. She never struggled while trapped, nor while being freed. I asked around about what to do about her. An old time horseman told me to beat her with a broom while she was stuck- to make her care about being trapped. Eventually, I did try doing this. It helped. She no longer was carefree about being caught in the fence, some fear about the situation got instilled into her.

Horses who are a wee bit claustrophobic are the most fearful about being cast, and usually the ones who make the most effort to avoid being cast by making mistake while rolling. I have one like this. If ever cast, she would fight like a caged demon from hell. She just makes sure that it never happens, because she cares about stuff like that.

I agree that the best solution is to put a “bed and rolling” area of softness in the CENTER of the paddock. Unfortunately, this is often also used as a latrine it seems. That is horses for ya.