Unlimited access >

Horse Sale Ad Pet Peeves!

This is really helpful! Have a youngster for sale, so I want to make up a checklist of “what not to do.”! I apologize for not having any helpful comments, though.

“Great broodmare prospect” = “Lame Mare” (or “Crazy Mare,” we don’t want to ride her!)

I also love ads professing a horses prowess or potential as a hunter who are shown in video in dressage tack, executing dressage skills. I know plenty of horses that have gone from dressage to h/J but if you are selling as a hunter, show it as a hunter!

I hate ads that state pony but when you open them it is a miniature horse. Not really the same thing

[QUOTE=rustbreeches;7530191]
I hate ads that state pony but when you open them it is a miniature horse. Not really the same thing[/QUOTE]

The equal but opposite version: Draft crosses advertised as “warmbloods.” NO IT ISN"T. It’s a ONE-OFF DRAFT CROSS Grrrrrrrr.

[QUOTE=rustbreeches;7530191]
I hate ads that state pony but when you open them it is a miniature horse. Not really the same thing[/QUOTE]

Uh, not IMHO. Unless it has papers, it’s just a pony. :slight_smile: A SMALL pony, but a pony none-the-less!

Upper level dressage horses with a video showing the horse doing training level work. When I see an add for a horse advertised as 3rd level, then I want to see a video that shows lateral work including half pass at both trot and canter, changes, baby pirouettes, and extensions.

“Inquire for price” really bothers me. I know if you have to ask, you can’t afford the horse…but still! I at least want to know if the horse is somewhere in my range before starting a conversation with the seller.

Spelling errors, bad pictures, and bad videos are also really detrimental to a horse’s ad.

No price listed or “private treaty.” You will instantly lose me as a buyer, effectively narrowing your market, if I don’t have at least a price range.

Poor, or inappropriate photos (horse advertised a seasoned show horse in whatever discipline and there is a pic of him running around in the field). C’mon now…

Advertising your 24 year old half lame pasture ornament for sale because you aren’t committed enough to provide him a proper retirement when he is no longer useful.

And let’s not forget the 14 year old “prospect.” Or 15.5hh.

I saw one today that had a mare with her foal at her side. They listed all the training the mare had and all the owner’s real life issues that made them just too busy to continue her training to the next level and that is why she is for sale for a not cheap price, but the foal is not for sale, keeping that.

No time for the beginner safe horse but there is time for the foal…um…ok.

Or the successful hunter that consistently does 2’5 but could go to 3’5 with the “right person”. Then there is the quintessential show hunter standing in the middle of a round bale, with a hay belly, being touted as 'ready for show season".

For gods sake, I wish people would just list the true height of a horse! If its 15.1, say its 15.1, not 16h.

As someone looking for smaller horses, its really discouraging to filter for under 15.3, only find around 10 hits for horses listed as under 16h, yet see constant complaints from buyers that everything is at least 3" smaller than advertised.

Since I just saw a sales video put out by a jacka$$ trainer I know, take the blanket off the horse, jacka$$! What is wrong with you!?! What is anyone supposed to take away from this video, that the horse can comfortable wear a rug?

You are awarded no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

When selling a hound horse 3 or 4yr and they list the height as what they expect the horse to mature, not the actual height

Can’t remember if said or not, but the main video being an iPhone video. I can’t see guys, get a real camera. How are people supposed to tell it’s even a horse?!

The ads that have multiple shots, all with multiple horses in them, and NO indication of identifying color or markings on the one for sale…which one is it folks?

Speaking of this thread…

This add really irritates me!

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grd/4425363402.html

I’m sorry if this is a COTH horse, but I mean you are asking $25,000 for this horse as a hunter/jumper with no mention of the horses ability to jump or pictures of it jumping.

One more I hate! Such an such farm proudly offers for your consideration. Just bugs me like ohh I get a chance to see your horse. Wow thanks.

[QUOTE=Lix Tetrax;7535582]
Can’t remember if said or not, but the main video being an iPhone video. I can’t see guys, get a real camera. How are people supposed to tell it’s even a horse?![/QUOTE]

Camcorders are actually being discontinued due to everyone just using their phones. Thankfully, when held landscape style, the newer iphones can do a good job, including being able to zoom in and out. (I do, however, prefer an actual camcorder for recording my rounds at horse shows and thanks to them being discontinued I got a great cam for a great price)

On the seller’s side. While everyone should have the opportunity to offer and there is nothing wrong without least trying. As a seller, most of the time, you just want to sell your horse. My hopes get high when you ask lots of questions and for videos, then even after I’ve listed the price at the beginning, you deem a week later that the horse is too expensive. Or worse, you want to trade a horse of dissimilar value or any horse.
I advise most buyers (especially juniors) to have a coach contact seller.

The worse pet peeve though, I have used some Facebook Sales pages so allow the freedom to say whatever they want, but… The comments below “SO PRETTY :smiley: 2 eXpeZive 4 mE”

[QUOTE=Belmont;7524847]
My recent ad favorite was a OTTB ad.
The horse was described like she was writing a book and of course “sound and sane” was thrown in there.

The only picture of the horse was it rearing up, with a evil look, on a hot walker. :smiley:

Or two pastern marks and a small snip. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I saw that ad! What was she thinking?