Unlimited access >

Horse sale price

You know what? If he’s your kind of horse, and you enjoyed the trial rides you’ve had on him and feel a connection… and your vet is encouraging… then I truly hope it all works out for you. We all need at least one heart horse in our lives.

11 Likes

I’d say that you can certainly offer $5000, but you should (imo) offer what another poster up-thread suggested: that you’ll vet quickly and make a decision same day, and you will pay in cash. Also, you could stress the kind of home you’d be offering the horse.

The other point I want to make is that, if you offer $5000, you want to think about whether you’ll counter their (presumable) offer. So, if they say “no way, but we’d take 8,000,” would you be willing to come up a bit in your original offer

1 Like

Good point, @endlessclimb, and good perspective. If I really, really want the horse at that price, though, I’d be willing to point out why I think it’s a fair offer, on the chance that the seller truly isn’t aware of the animal’s value. That way, if the owner says no, I could say, “Well, here’s how I came up with this figure.” … Like the car dealership, minus the offer of floor mats.

4 Likes

So, generally speaking, 15% below ask if a fair offer, 10% is where you’d expect to end up. Almost 50% below ask is a massive lowball. But there is nothing inherently wrong with that, if that is what you are willing to pay. Just accept that they may decline without a counter.

I think it is almost always wrong to explain why you think the horse is worth less than they say, or why you are making a low offer. It’s a financial transaction, and you either agree or don’t. They already have reasons for their price in their head, right or wrong, and anything you say is more likely to be seen as offensive than as something that changes their minds.

13 Likes

I would caution against this. Not saying it doesn’t work, but it comes across as unprofessional at best, and insulting at worst. I know it’s not the intent, and if you’re dealing solely with an amateur it may be fine, but a pro or someone who does a lot of this is going to shut that down fast (and may not even counteroffer). Just my experience! Furthermore, if you’re going to make an offer with “reasoning”, do it in the initial offering.

2 Likes

A friend of mine has a saying “the best things in life come sweet.” Meaning, if you have to force something in any way, it isn’t meant to be.

Don’t get too wrapped up in the emotions here, if you can avoid it.

6 Likes

Yes, exactly. Unless it is a scary vet finding and they are relieved you will take him off their hands at any price I wouldn’t give reasons that they can bicker about.

Horse prices are entirely subjective, a combination of motivated buyers and sellers. Why are OTTB off the track so crazy cheap given that it costs upwards of $20 k to get to the point you know your colt won’t race? Because track trainers mostly can’t be bothered to negotiate with a string of ammies or to put riding miles on the horse. Their time is too valuable. They just want to move the flubs and retirees out as fast as possible. Super motivated sellers.

Why do delusional semi hoarders post things way over market value? Because they don’t want to sell, they want to pretend their horse is valuable.

Then there are savvy pro sellers sales barns and breeders that post a high price but bargain a lot and leave buyer thinking they got a great deal and the public facing advertising of the barn showing the super high asking price.

8 Likes

Which is why I specified, “… on the chance that the seller truly isn’t aware of the animal’s value.”

2 Likes

If he’s been with current owner only a year, and he’s 11, how many homes has he been in before that? Horses decrease in value with age especially when they are not making noteworthy accomplishments. It would be unrealistic for seller to expect to recoup what she spend on him a year ago, let alone make back some extra. I’d tell her that.

If you are offering a home without jumping involved that would make you a plus for that seller probably, and it might work in your favor. Bone chips are worthy worrying about. I’d tell her that.

Offer her what you think you should pay for the horse, and leave her with a good impression of the life you’ll offer him (hopefully til his end-days)…and leave your phone number. Just may be that she would come back to you on a second pass if she rejects your offer.

oh…and don’t forget, you’re not forging a personal relationship. This is a business transaction.

3 Likes

For all we know 9k is a steal of a deal. We’ve got limited info here.

Maybe from the seller’s POV it’s like this. I’ve got this handsome, big bodied 16.2 bay gelding with chrome. Aged 11, off the track 5 yrs ago. Super sensible chap. Always foot perfect; totes his weenie flabby ammy owner around the arena once a week and hauls out to trail rides / camping / big trail riding meets on weekends. Horse is a saint. No prep no program no problem. No vices. Ties, bathes, clips and travels like a dream.

10 Likes

Solid point

1 Like

:confused:I might walk away. Got the X-rays and it’s the fetlocks (fronts, both) that have the chips not the knee.
I think the point that many of you made about whether or not he will stand up to work really resonated with me. He’s doing basically nothing right now.
Waiting on my trainers response to my vets info, (I paid a small fee for her to take a look before any offer or ppe happens) but it seems like, though lovely, the juice just may not be worth the squeeze on this one for me.

15 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t be pursuing this one, myself, sadly. Especially for $5k, definitely not $9k.

Good luck on your search!

4 Likes

I can see how this would turn off most sellers. I would be hugely offended and it would be unlikely for me to proceed with someone approaching me with this( even if true :innocent:) . Selling cars and horses ( or other livestock) are worlds apart.

Have you bought many horses using this method?

1 Like

Nope. Not one. I’ve never offered to buy a horse. But if I wanted my low offer to be considered, and I believed it were a legitimate offer, I’d state my reasoning. Nothing wrong with asking the seller to see where you’re coming from in any transaction. The seller could accept your point or not.

1 Like

We had a mower/ conditioner for sale ( to cut hay) and the first words out of the man calling on it was " would you take less". He hadn’t even seen it!

Thank you! I passed and they asked why, so I put it as kindly as I could.

Onto the next. My right partner is out there!

15 Likes

did you tell them price or bone chips?

Bone chips.

5 Likes

Good choice. Price would have been criticizing them (sellers) but bone chips are a fact of life, and one that it is realistic to not want to deal with or take a chance on.

3 Likes