Unlimited access >

Horse Sales Practices - Am I Being Unreasonable?

Hopefully not, but the OP did mention that the funds for the deposit of the horse/pony was sent by the parents. I’d like to know how it works that a trainer “is buying” the horse/pony but the funds come from the client? I bet the trainer CPA loves them LOL

3 Likes

I will bet the that horse trainer who is ripping off their clients, but doesn’t have pockets deep enough to pay the deposit doesn’t have a CPA. There is dirty dealing, which may or may not involve some sophistication, and then there’s a stupid scam held together with duct tape and spit.

6 Likes

Update: Seller reached out to buyer directly and disclosed her specific sale price. Trial agreement signed with sale price specified by buyers, not trainer. Horse went out on trial and magically despite loving the horse and having a great ride trainer determined “it was not the right fit for the student”. Horse picked up and is happily back out in her field with her turnout mates. Reminds me why I’m no longer active in the horse world.

43 Likes

Of course it wasn’t a fit. There was no way for the trainer to hose/fleece/cheat the parents out of money in that purchase. Thank you for letting us know.

24 Likes

I wish this trainer could be outed. We can only clean up this industry if we, the clients, out people who do this immediately.

16 Likes

It’s frustrating to know that the clients seem to be still determined to stay with this shady trainer, despite people going above and beyond to ensure they weren’t fleeced.

Poor kid may have liked the horse.

10 Likes

Oh, like magic a horse that the trainer can’t mark up to grift the client isn’t a fit. Magic.

12 Likes

Our neighbor was an older, very wealthy woman who rode w a famous dressage trainer. We had a very nice horse for sale that she came, tried, and LOVED! She came and rode him every day for a week. They got along great and he never put a foot wrong. She asked to bring the trainer…. my late husband said that would be fine. Said trainer came, she had a wonderful ride, and they left together. My husband turned to me and said “She will never buy him. She knows his real price and he can’t cheat her, so no matter how much she likes him, he’ll talk her out of it.”

4 Likes

Why do so many people seem to turn into absolute jello when it comes to buying/selling horses? These are the same people who would complain they were charged twice for a $2.00 drink but refuse to speak up to their trainer about how much money they’re spending on a new horse or pony. So while it irks me no end to see people get ripped off, the responsibility falls on we the buyer or seller and if we choose not be involved then its on us. I personally wouldn’t want to work with anyone who left me out of the process.

6 Likes

So, I think some of it has to do with the fact that some people do not know how to rationally and effectively handle sales, particularly large-ticket items like horses, luxury vehicles, and houses. I know a lot of trainers who will INFORM their buyer/seller but they won’t let the person run or participate in the show in case it ruins a sale (and I have seen individuals ruin sales whether it’s an overly emotionally invested seller or it’s a naive buyer trying to make an offer that is just not going to happen). This is why it’s prudent to have someone more rational representing your interests.

Best parallel I can give is same reason you go through realtors and not the seller directly.

When we purchased our last house, I thought the seller was a complete asshat for various and sundry things he did to make the sale difficult (I’m seething just thinking about the whole ordeal). It was a very good thing we had our two realtors as buffers, or I probably would have done/said something regrettable to the dude’s face that would have tanked that whole sale. Realtors can reasonably hash it out and represent their respective clients’ interests.

However BIG difference is that realtors have to be licensed. As I think all of us have seen at this point, anybody can put out a shingle and be a “trainer” or a “dealer” when it comes to horses. I think a lot of folks relatively new to horses have blind faith in trainers thinking it’s going to be the realtor experience, but alas, that’s not always the case.

4 Likes