Unlimited access >

Horse Shoe Alternative

So my horse apparently needs wedge shoes, but I really don’t like the idea of horse shoes for a few reasons…

She has been lame often recently. Whenever she gets her feet trimmed, she is sore for a couple of days. I’m thinking that if she is sensitive in her feet, horse shoes may be very painful for her (at least the nail part).

I want her to not be in pain, but I also don’t want to do shoes.

Are there any alternatives to horse shoes that you recommend?

I’ve heard about glue on shoes and slip on boots. Any experiences?

ANY help is HIGHLY appreciated!!!

Wedge shoes are presumably to correct/ treat some physical issue? Boots aren’t going to work for your horse because they can’t be on 24/7. Glue ons might work, but I would try regular shoes first and only do them as a last resort. If the horse is routinely sore after being trimmed, it is more likely the farrier job that is the issue. A good shoeing job is unlikely to be a problem. Glue on shoes are significantly more expensive and can be harder to keep on.

If your horse is consistently sore after trims then there is a problem with your farrier. Shoes are not going to be any better than the trim underneath. Personally, I would be looking for a new farrier before I covered up a problem with shoes.

[edit] a better farrier, lameness evaluation by a competent vet and would follow a good treatment plan that could include shoes, wedged ones if necessary.
You wouldn’t have to make her suffer every month just because of your [edit] ideology…

Just woke up. Sorry. Not really.

alibi_18 … uncalled for and completely unhelpful, you don’t like the topic, go somewhere else.

I do agree, that was pretty harsh. Not sure the OP is a troll, so lets try to be helpful and pleasant shall we? Sounds like maybe OP is new to horse ownership.

OP we need more info. It’s assumed the horse needs corrective shoeing (for what?) and this cannot be accomplished with boots. And yes, if your horse is sore after every trim the farrier is most likely the issue.

Nailing on a shoe should not cause pain. Correctly nailed and fitted shoes solve problems.

There are some horses that need very little trim, and could almost be rebalanced with a rasp, they take special care in doing.

If the horse needs to have wedge shoes it would be to relieve pressure on the soft tissues in the foot. Do not second guess your vet or farrier.

The difference between nail on and glue on shoes is $$$$. More for glue ons. Also can be harder to place, and do require “set-up” time which varies according to the ambient temps.

Thank you all for the help (excluding the comment by alibi_18 which was very unnecessary). And thank you BoyleHeightsKid for understanding, I am new at horse ownership and simply want the best for my horse. I’ve heard from a few people that horse shoes are uncomfortable for the horse, so I wanted to make sure I know what I’m getting into.

Merrygoround: I can understand not second guessing the vet, however I suggested to my farrier and trainer before that I thought my horse was too far back on her heels, and they simply ignored my concern and asked why I dare question their 30 or so years of experience.

BoyleHeightsKid: You said I need to give more info. I’m not really sure what else I can give, unfortunately. The only thing I know is my horse apparently needs wedge shoes and I would just like to know if there was another way to help her without putting painful-sounding nails inside her feet.

Also, I’m not totally against putting shoes on my horse. I would just like to find a way around it if possible. If shoeing is the only (or the most beneficial) option, then I will go with shoes.

I don’t have any particular insight to offer for your specific situation, other than that nailing shoes on does NOT cause pain for a horse. The nails are going into the wall and white line of a foot which do not have any nerve endings or sensation. It would be kind of like driving a nail into a fingernail (one no longer attached to a finger). The sensitive tissue is not nailed into when a shoe is correctly fit and applied! It’s hard not to anthropomorphize sometimes, I know it all too well, but what sounds painful to us in theory, in some cases, is not actually painful to them. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=annairb;8219467]
So my horse apparently needs wedge shoes, but I really don’t like the idea of horse shoes for a few reasons…

She has been lame often recently. Whenever she gets her feet trimmed, she is sore for a couple of days. I’m thinking that if she is sensitive in her feet, horse shoes may be very painful for her (at least the nail part).

I’ve heard about glue on shoes and slip on boots. Any experiences?

ANY help is HIGHLY appreciated!!![/QUOTE]

Being blunt - you need a new farrier. The horse should not be sore for a few days after a trim. The hoof wall is like your finger nail, so trimming and nailing on shoes should hurt no more than it would if you were to clip your nails. Now if you go too short and get into the live tissue, that is where you will have pain. If your farrier is doing this regularly, it’s a sign that he or she may not be competent to work on your horse.

[QUOTE=annairb;8220890]
Thank you all for the help (excluding the comment by alibi_18 which was very unnecessary). And thank you BoyleHeightsKid for understanding, I am new at horse ownership and simply want the best for my horse. I’ve heard from a few people that horse shoes are uncomfortable for the horse, so I wanted to make sure I know what I’m getting into.

Merrygoround: I can understand not second guessing the vet, however I suggested to my farrier and trainer before that I thought my horse was too far back on her heels, and they simply ignored my concern and asked why I dare question their 30 or so years of experience.

BoyleHeightsKid: You said I need to give more info. I’m not really sure what else I can give, unfortunately. The only thing I know is my horse apparently needs wedge shoes and I would just like to know if there was another way to help her without putting painful-sounding nails inside her feet.

Also, I’m not totally against putting shoes on my horse. I would just like to find a way around it if possible. If shoeing is the only (or the most beneficial) option, then I will go with shoes.[/QUOTE]

If you are new to horse ownership then be aware that there is a whole bunch of “junk husbandry” information out there and a big part of it is the “horseshoes are evil” campaign.

The iron shoe was probably invented by the Romans (who also gave us the rigid tree saddle) to improve the utility of horses whose feet wore badly on the Roman roads of the day. It worked. It’s an inexpensive way to protect the hoof from the environment in which it works. There are modern alternatives yet none has EVER been shown to be superior to the modern, metal shoe. And the modern, metal shoe has never been shown to cause injury when properly used. Iron has been replaced by steel, aluminum, titanium, and alloys. Each has its own virtues and vices.

I’d be uncomfortable with a naked “we’ve got 30 years experience, trust us” response to a question. But if you are going to over-rule 30 years of other people’s expertise then you have to ask some serious questions of yourself.

A horse that is sore or sensitive after a trim is generally an indication of a faulty trim. That said there are circumstances where a correct trim might cause short term discomfort but those circumstances are about as rare as hen’s teeth. If this is a consistent problem then the cause is the poor farrier service; fix it.

If your vet and farrier agree that a therapeutic shoeing is required for the health, safety, or welfare of the horse then any rejection of this advice by you puts the burden of negative consequences on you. What are your reasons to reject the advice? Note that this is not a criticism, it’s a fair question. If you are new to the art of equine husbandry upon what basis do you make your decisions?

Asking questions about “alternatives” is not at all a bad thing. But since the science and experience behind a huge percentage of alternatives is virtually non-existent then you can quickly make your horse “veterinary experimental subject” with all the risks and benefits of that status.

A frank conversation with your vet and farrier is a Good Thing. Asking them to explain their reasoning is perfectly OK. TELL them that you’re new and want to learn. But when you ask a question make it a question, not a declarative sentence with a question mark at the end! That is a sign of “hostile” questioning and can quickly close doors for you. That’s a Very Bad Thing.

Read, learn, and try to understand. But be critical in your choice of sources and don’t buy any “snake oil.” :slight_smile:

G.

If you can get a few pictures - lateral (from the outside) and solar - using these guidelines, that would help a lot
http://www.all-natural-horse-care.com/good-hoof-photos.html

Being consistently sore for a few days after every trim is not good. Yes, it can be because the farrier is trimming too much for that horse. It can also be because of trimming just incorrectly - not trimming the heels back, leaving too much toe, removing some live sole, and others. Shoes don’t fix that, better trimming does.

But it can also be indicative of chronic low grade laminitis. Several changes are needed to fix that, including the possible use of shoes, at least for a few cycles. Other things are dietary changes.

What reason was given for the recommendation for wedges?

Because of the many open questions, nobody will be able to suggest alternatives.

Just don’t stay in your mindset of shoes being such a bad thing. I don’t think anyone wants shoes just for the fun of it, but they absolutely have their place, and some horses will forever more need shoes to be comfortable.

It’s hard not to listen to the 30 years experience when you’re just starting out… And then when you do your research and introduce something different the closed minded ones tend to shoot you down hard and can be not very nice about it. I’ve been there when I wanted to switch farriers, because the farrier my barn was using at the time was doing this to my horse back is 2006:

Left front http://s54.photobucket.com/user/boyleheightskid/media/Hoof%20pics%20%202006/LeftFront.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

Right front http://s54.photobucket.com/user/boyleheightskid/media/Hoof%20pics%20%202006/RightFront.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

No one at my barn ever questioned anything. I was supposed to listen to the BO like everyone else because she knew everything. Well, that’s not my nature, I question everything so when I started asking about bringing his toe back and asking if his heels were underrun. I was told it would change his stride to short and choppy. I asked if his shoes were too small and was told they were like that so he couldn’t pull shoes. Argh! Looking at those pictures now gives me a headache!

If your farrier is recommending a wedge, a trip to the vet for x-rays will tell you if your horse needs them or not. A wedge if not applied correctly in the right situation can do more harm than good.

Pictures would be awesome!

That makes me cringe Boyle!! I was in the SAME boat. I started learning, and questioning, and when I thought I knew enough to start asking my farrier about bringing toes back, I was told “can’t do it without making him sore”. Yeah, right. I got another farrier who promptly took toes back and dang, horse wasn’t sore. He didn’t do a GREAT job, things still weren’t back where they all belonged, but it was a heckuva lot better.

Boyle Heights-did your horse wear a tutu back then? It looks like a toe dancer. Sorry, off thread!

[QUOTE=merrygoround;8221140]
Boyle Heights-did your horse wear a tutu back then? It looks like a toe dancer. Sorry, off thread![/QUOTE]

Hahaha!!! Good one! I need to get some updated photos of his feet. It’s fun to show people the transformation. Hell I might even start a blog to put then on. I know… I’m a nerd :wink: It really makes you appreciate your ponee SO much. He still did his job happily with those feet! He wears a 2. Can you believe in the above pictures he was in an 0!!!

Short choppy stride you say??? I think not!
http://s54.photobucket.com/user/boyleheightskid/media/IMG_0801_zpsbmciqfyy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

OP:
I will just agree with most of the responders, that you do need to arm yourself with knowledge, and be aware that you will hear many conflicting opinions.

Two things stand out for me from your post.
First: no, it’s not normal for your horse to be sore for days after trimming. It means there is a problem with either your farrier in general…or that your horse has an ongoing underlying soundness issue that is not being addressed.

Second: wedges are used to specifically address an angle problem that is severe enough that it can’t be fixed by a trim. If you leave the angles in a “bad” place, you can contribute to long term problems. The angles really need to be corrected, and a wedge pad may be a temporary way to address the problem while the horse grows enough foot to be trimmed correctly.

None of my horses currently have shoes on, and I’ve not needed to shoe any of them for several years. I do my own trims. I tell you this because there is a weird “shoes are the antichrist” sub culture in the horse world right now, and it’s very uniformed. Don’t fall for extremes and absolutes. Good showing can help, not hurt your horse. Even though I don’t shoe my horses, I’d do it in a second if they needed it.

[QUOTE=annairb;8220890]

Also, I’m not totally against putting shoes on my horse. I would just like to find a way around it if possible. If shoeing is the only (or the most beneficial) option, then I will go with shoes.[/QUOTE]

OP, believe it or not, properly applied shoes can be very beneficial for horses who need them. If your horse is sore after every trim, it sounds like you need a new trimmer or that your horse has sole/hoof issues or something.

Nailing in shoes does not hurt a horse. Some horses don’t like the sound or the pressure of the hammer hitting the shoe, but it’s not painful.

You horse may not need to stay in wedge shoes forever, but they can help her correct an issue and keep her comfortable. I suggest dropping the money for a very good farrier to evaluate your horse and work with your vet to correct the problem. At the very least, you need a farrier who can give you a logical explanation for how he is managing the feet, not someone who blows your concerns off.

Nailing CAN hurt if the underlying cause of the soreness in the first place is some laminitis.

No, it doesn’t hurt the actual dead, insensitive material the nails are (supposed to be) nailed into, which is the outer wall (the same stuff that gets rasped and nippered). But the pounding of the nails can hurt the whole foot.

[QUOTE=JB;8221768]
Nailing CAN hurt if the underlying cause of the soreness in the first place is some laminitis.

No, it doesn’t hurt the actual dead, insensitive material the nails are (supposed to be) nailed into, which is the outer wall (the same stuff that gets rasped and nippered). But the pounding of the nails can hurt the whole foot.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn’t laminitis be caught by the vet who examined the horse? It sounds to me like the OP thinks that ALL nails hurt a horse, and is one of her objections to getting shoes. I can’t imagine a vet would prescribe wedge shoes if the vet thought it would hurt the horse. Seems like additional information would make this story clearer.