Unlimited access >

Horse shopping in NOVA - any barns that are must-visits?

Hello from hunter-jumper land! I am planning a horse shopping trip to Northern Virginia in the upcoming weeks and was wondering if there were any barns on your list that usually have nice prospects. I am not looking for a winning 3’6 hunter, but I am looking for something with an excellent brain, definitely doing full courses and ideally having gone to a few shows (doesn’t matter if they are schooling or rated). The end goal is the adult hunter or jumper ring. My price range is the (very) low five figures so I realize there won’t be a ton of inventory, but what I’ve been able to find online is generally not what I am hoping for. Any recommendations on calls to make? I’d like to stay within 50 miles or so of DC since I am only flying down for a few days.

Boy…LOTS of choices. Some may still be south so you need to see who has come home.

I’d check out Phyllis Dawson http://www.teamwindchase.com/forsale.htm She sometimes has young stock/fresh off the track that may be in that range.

Tebogo may have something as well. http://www.tebogosporthorses.com/

Boy, I’m sure you will get a large list.

From DC…don’t rule out folks in MD as well. There are ton of farms within 2 hours of DC in both MD and VA…and hell…from DC you can get to Unionville PA in less than 3 hours.

Ditto Phyllis. Tony Workman is right down the road from her, too; he might have something fitting the bill!

Thanks! Keep the ideas coming :slight_smile: After a 10 hour drive last week to see something totally unsuitable, I am reluctant to be spending too much time in the car, hence the fairly narrow radius.

Tebogo consistently has nice ones - not sure if they are all back from down south, however. Tiffany Catledge/Allforit Farm has a bunch right now, including some really nice youngsters (http://allforitfarm.com/Allforit_Farm/For_Sale/For_Sale.html) and she’s right outside of Middleburg. Be worth calling over to Skyler Icke at Morningside and see if she has or knows of anything; ditto Sharon White at Last Frontier Farm who usually has some nice ones but may be more expensive/further along in their training.

Call Chad Keenum. www.cksporthorses.com

In addition to what you have. Destination Eventing, Kate Chadderton (Maryland)

Another huge thumbs up for Tebogo. They have a great selection of very nice horses that are well presented. The folks there are also VERY honest and will only show you horses that are going to be worth you looking at. I am biased, since my horse came from them, but they were dead on when they said he was the horse for me (helped that the trainer knew me, but, still!).

Destination Eventing in Adamstown, MD (right across the river from Leesburg. Takes about one hour from Middleburg) seems to have some nice youngsters.

Defying Gravity Eventing near Baltimore also always seems to have a nice selection.

There may be more, but it will depend on who comes home from the south and when your trip is!

[QUOTE=SidesaddleRider;7481247]
Call Chad Keenum. www.cksporthorses.com[/QUOTE]

I could be way off the mark, but I was under the impression everything he had would be majorly out of my price range. Let me know if I’m wrong? I would love to be; he always has lovely horses.

Could also try Julie Hagen at Bascule Farm - also in Md - Poolesville, not at all farm from Destination Eventing. I saw a couple of Julie’s youngsters at a show a couple of months ago - very nice, one had everyone drooling - lovely lovely grey mare, definitely worth a look.

[QUOTE=BostonHJ;7481262]
I could be way off the mark, but I was under the impression everything he had would be majorly out of my price range. Let me know if I’m wrong? I would love to be; he always has lovely horses.[/QUOTE]

Never hurts to call people and ask. Web sites are not always up dated etc.

Chad’s website not working :frowning: ; Cindy Lytle is another- might have a couple worth looking at - she’s also in MD / Dickerson between Destination Eventing and Bascule… her website is lytleshowhorses.com. there are a couple w/o photos but I can vouch for their looks - Joe is a good looking chestnut TB and L.O.L attractive bay w/ white markings… Both good amateur prospects -

I just thought of another person also in the same area - seriously you could go to Destination, Lytles, this place and Bascule - all pretty close together… anyway this woman is an excellent trainer/horseperson has been in the business for years - most are TB she owns but she might be interested in selling? If you’re interested happy to dig more info and pass along her info - she doesn’t have a website

Suggestion… Shop Lexington Kentucky the last weekend of April! You can go to Rolex and horse shop the same weekend!

Kelley Williams at A Bit Better Farm.

www.abitbetterfarm.com

Natalie Hollis at Destination Farm has a few horses for sale in that price range.

http://destinationeventing.com/sales/

[QUOTE=BostonHJ;7481262]
I could be way off the mark, but I was under the impression everything he had would be majorly out of my price range. Let me know if I’m wrong? I would love to be; he always has lovely horses.[/QUOTE]

He has horses from upper 4-figures to high 6-figures. Most are not listed on his website (if working) or FB page, so just give him a call.

Echoing what many said: Natalie at Destination Farm & Phyllis Dawson at Windchase. Natalie was Phyllis’ working student and now still trains with her. Btw, Phyllis was a 1988 Olympic Eventer in Seoul if you don’t know the name :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of the input! I have at least 7 lovely horses to try this weekend and about half of them are thanks to all of you. Let me know if anyone else has ideas!

And if your shopping trip was anything like mine, you’ll end up seeing at least twice that many by the time you’re done! Good luck!!! You should have a beautiful weekend for shopping.

Do we get an update on how the weekend went?