Unlimited access >

Horse Show Fundraising Ideas

I’m fundraising for the Pan Mass Challenge this summer and my trainer is on board with running some kind of charity class at her spring and summer horse shows, which are locally recognized hunters and eq through 3’. I’d like it to be some sort of fun class with as much participation as possible, so it’d be nice for it to cover several levels. We have done jumper classes in the past, but I was also thinking some sort of hunter team class or classic might be fun too. Any ideas from the hive mind? If you saw a fundraising class, what would you most want to do?

Note that this is mostly juniors and kids at these shows. I’m also open to any other fundraising ideas that are horse related, or not. Thanks!

We do a charity Gamblers Choice every year, but since you said you have done the Jumper thing, maybe you do a Charity Handy Hunter challenge. Let the kids design their own course between 6-10 fences, require a trot jump, and judge awards Bonus points for handiness or brilliance? Always fun!

2 Likes

I really love that idea! To clarify the jumper thing, all I meant was that they’ve done jumper classes in the past, so it’s not limited to just hunters and eq.

I’d do something fun. We do a jump and drive at one show. You have a jumper course then the rider hops off of their horse and their team mate drives the car course through cones. The more kid friendly is to tag your team mate and they ride a course on their bike.

Another option that I’ve seen in the UK is when you ride the course, hop off, tag your friend who runs it with a dog.

I think a fun class would be appealing for hunters, jumpers and we riders!

1 Like

Tandem hunter?

Our schooling shows don’t typically do any sort of prizes/money but last year they did a jackpot class which ended up getting a ton of entries. Perhaps you can get a company to donate a gift certificate, etc.

I think a hybrid jumper/trail class would be super fun! Like do a few jumps, stop and get the mail, do a couple more and then have to back up through zig zag poles, etc.

How is the facility set up? are there 2 rings or would you be able to have an outside course? At one show - the facility had 2 rings which shared a fence line. I came up a class where we’d use both rings for the class - 1 ring would be judged as a hunter round, we put a jump in the fence line so the riders would then jump into the other ring and that round would be judged on equitation. Riders and judges loved it. You could do something similar if you have 2 rings or can make an outside course. You could do hunters and eq, hunter/ jumper (faults converted) or a true “derby” where riders jump.

Bareback dollar has always had a big draw where I am

A lot also depends on the charity you’re wanting to support. A local food bank - entry fee = nonperishable food donation and that way other competitors could also donate. If one of your area hospitals has a forensic nursing unit - those units always need clothing items for victims - for example- undergarments. Many sexual assault victims have to leave their undergarments for evidence collection so it’s nice to be able to give them new items for them to wear home.

Might be too late but a Hunter Derby with a few higher fence options might be fun. Start the jumps at 2’3” or 2’6” with options to 2’9”. Something like that.

Sorry…what is a hive mind ?

Anyway, a Parents Lead Line class is always fun and a crowd pleaser.

Hive mind

1 Like