Unlimited access >

Horse Show Roommate Message Board / Facebook page?

Hey all, I’m about to start showing on the A circuit more regularly and am looking for ways to bring down costs. I was wondering if there was a message board someplace or a FB group that people use to try to get hotel roommates? Maybe that is split between regions? It comes out to such a large portion of the overall expense but I won’t be showing enough to justify buying a camper.

I’m in VA and can’t seem to find any such resource on Facebook or other places, but since I’m new I was thinking maybe it’s there and I just needed to ask to find it.

TIA!

I have never heard of any such thing, but what an interesting idea! I do not think its a “thing” yet, but you can pioneer it and I’m sure you would find takers. Like you said, hotels are a huge expense when showing.

5 Likes

I’m on the other side of the country (southwest) and am on the breed/mostly western circuit. But I feel your pain because I don’t want a camper or an RV, but the hotel charges often equal or even exceed my show bill. So I think you have an interesting idea.

Several women in my barn often link up with other women who ride with a different trainer, and they sometimes get Airbnbs together. It works out great because a couple of them are moms and have kids who show walk/trot, so the whole house thing with amenities works great for them.

Me? I’m more of a loner. :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve seen some posts requesting roommates on Thermal Classifieds for those shows, so maybe try a similar group for your area, if one exists. Though a dedicated group would make more sense…

We try to do Airbnb or similar when available. Generally less expensive and you get a kitchen and usually a washer/dryer.

That’s a good idea: Look for the fb group dedicated to a particular show or show series, and try there.

1 Like

I think there’s a Horse Show Hotel Roomates Facebook page! I don’t have the link, but I would try and find it!

My best advice is to start making friends with people in your divisions and then ask if they’re headed to XYZ show next. Mention you should meet up… then start building a network of people and eventually, you’ll be close enough to ask for roommates or to go in on a house.
From my experience, as a working professional, it can be tough bc people arrive and depart at different times and often have different spend levels. You can also try to link up with people that work the shows… ie braiders,vendors, etc. to see if they’re willing to split costs.

1 Like

I made a group like this for us eventers in Ontario, if there isn’t one, make one!

Are there barnmates you could share with? Seconding @Tini_Sea_Soldier1’s idea to make friends with people in your division (since you know they will be showing primarily the same days as you)
I love any opportunity to share a room/house/car/etc. with a friend but would be very reticent to share a hotel room with someone I connected with over the internet without spending time with them beforehand!

1 Like

This is a really good point. Not to be pessimistic, but I’d hate for a horse show rooming arrangement to end up as an episode of Dateline. Get to know your roomies beforehand, or have plenty of verified referrals. Vet them somehow!

2 Likes

Yes, I would share an Air Bnb with people I knew second hand but would not share a room except with a good friend. Too many disastrous hotel roomates at academic conferences as a graduate student to risk that again!