Unlimited access >

Horse slips on very bottom of trailer ramp?

So I’ve searched all over but can’t find an answer for this specific issue!

I have a 2H Exiss straight load with a ramp, and have been practicing loading with my gelding since we have to trailer out to the farrier. Every time he backs out, he does fine until he gets to the very bottom and then either catches a front toe on the edge of the ramp (where the mat ends) or slips with the foot there.

He is shod, and the mat itself isn’t particularly slippery, but this happens on the 2-3” of metal at bottom of the ramp, not the mat. He has slipped to his knees once and banged one kneecap pretty good.

I just want to create the best experience for him since this is a sticking point for us - and also don’t want him slipping! It seems like sometimes he is too busy trying to turn around and forgets his feet (this horse is very much a clutz so that’s not unusual), but other times he’s just landing on the metal with a toe and slipping off.

Can I spray something on it? Would a coco mat maybe work? How do I keep that from slipping off as he comes off the trailer backwards? Do I figure out how to safely let him turn around (with the divider swung over he can, but I have to figure out how to not get crushed). This horse does not self load, we are getting there, but we have some trailering trauma in our past so other things are being addressed first.

I added something like this to the metal lip of my ramp and it seems to help:

Home Depot sells strips like this that are about 2 feet long and 4 inches wide.

4 Likes

That stuff is awesome and I was just going to post about it but you beat me to it.

1 Like

Our farm’s big 6 horse trailer has a pretty short, steep ramp. It’s also rubber lined until the very bottom, so they do throw a coco mat down. They situate it so it covers the lower 2/3 of the ramp and out onto the ground about 6-10". It doesn’t really slip much because it grips against the rubberized ramp.

My young horse doesn’t slip coming out of my 2 horse, but she was in too much of a hurry (not panicking) for my liking. I’ve worked with her to back out slow and keep backing several more steps. I used to let her turn away from the trailer as soon as her front feet touched the ground. Now I make her back at least 3-4 more steps and I’ll decide if she can turn towards me or away from me to head back to the barn.

3 Likes

Ooh I’ll check out that gripper treatment thing! I have been working on slowing him down, but just LOADING is an issue, and pressure on the halter makes him fly backwards, pressure behind isn’t much better. So it’s a work in progress. He’s not flying back really, just not paying attention.

we Do Not have a ramp load but step up and we also make the horse back several steps to clear the trailer then stop, stand before moving off …all on our terms not theirs

2 Likes

My friend does this exact thing with her ramp load. Cheap and very effective.

*Edited to mention that she specifically uses a 4’x6’ spaghetti-coil cactus mat.