Unlimited access >

Horse Starved to Death in NJ at Trainers?

The YouTube video (which I just watched) gives a slightly different story than what I saw on the Facebook link, but said that the necropsy revealed death by starvation, no botulism.

I want to make absolutely clear that that is is not a judgement of the owner but…given the trainer lived only an hour away and she said that she was very suspicious given that no photos were given of the horse not blanketed, I am a little surprised she didn’t pay a visit. I totally realize that sometimes people send horses away for training or retirement several hours away and that’s just not feasible, but in this situation, I am curious. The video said the two women were friends (and this was also said on the Facebook) and that the trainer was showing and buying new horses for herself that were in good condition.

I wonder if there is even more of a story behind this than is clear from the details. Not that this helps the poor horse in the end, this is just my (admittedly) voyeuristic curiosity. I too don’t understand how it would be worth tanking your reputation (and having this on your conscience) for a few thousand bucks.

8 Likes

I doubt that the reason for the owner not visiting the horse was indifference. Rather, it was trust in someone that she thought she knew.

Sending the body for a necropsy is not cheap Not necessarily easy to arrange transport. The effort indicates that she does care very much about what happened to the horse.

It is also not easy to go on a public awareness campaign, as we’ve discussed other threads. She knows that she’s going to be attacked, doxed and shredded on social media.

Because tearing into the person raising the awareness of a terrible cruelty to an animal, or any victim, is what we the public do. We put as much effort into criticizing the owner as we do the person who did the cruel deed.

The owner is well aware that she is making herself a target. She is accepting that rather than protecting herself by remaining silent. She’s choosing to deal with the unpleasant attacks on her character in hopes of saving another horse and owner from the same terrible fate.

These attacks on owners is why many choose to remain silent rather than make the public aware of the risk. Thus enabling abusers to carry on, unchallenged.

I don’t why we the public turn the accusations around on the injured party, even though it’s irrelevant to the wrong done. It’s just part of life.

19 Likes

I don’t think anyone posting here is criticizing the owner as much as the trainer. I am just curious about all the details, because the horse was in such shocking, horrible condition. I am not criticizing the owner, but I am surprised the trainer did this to the horse of a client who lived only an hour away, and felt she could do this without consequences. The trainer must be a sociopath on some level, and I’m not throwing around that term lightly, but the owner must have trusted her completely (and she praises the trainer on her previous FB posts).

9 Likes

This “trainer” is the exact kind of pro I think of whenever I think “anyone can call themselves a pro.” The level of ego, depth of knowledge and competency of care that she had on display on social media did not exactly align with my personal experience (which was admittedly, fairly brief and several years ago). She was an employee at a barn where I boarded, and some of the things she said would make my eyes pop, but more along the lines of “that’s not how I would do things, but to each their own…” I have no knowledge of her since she started her own business. I am pretty sure that the weekend before this all blew up she was an exhibitor at the PA Horse World expo - so it’s not really a stretch of the imagination how it would all look and sound great.

Years ago I sent one of my horses for training board several hundred miles away to a trainer I barely knew. It worked out fine for me, but certainly this story has me realizing that doing so is a risk in ways I hadn’t previously considered - because I was only considering the risks of bad riding/training, but would never have considered that a horse wouldn’t be fed.

7 Likes

I really don’t understand how an owner who is only 90 minutes away wouldn’t at least check on their horse in person at least once weekly?

Check health, condition and see how training is progressing?

Not at all saying it is her fault but this result could have been avoided.

People are too trusting. Poor horse.

5 Likes

Please don’t blame the victim. I haven’t looked deeply into this and maybe more details are available, but I don’t know what else was going on in her life — maybe part of the reason the horse was sent away for training at this time was because the owner had other stuff going on (work, health issues, caring for someone). I don’t think it’s ridiculous to send a horse for a few months into the care of someone who is both a professional and a friend and assume that the horse will be cared for. I’m sure she wishes she went earlier; it’s not necessary to rub salt in wounds.

29 Likes

I didn’t blame them. (See my quote below) Nowhere in the article did the owner say she was having any personal issues that could have kept her from checking in person. She just felt her frequent contacts were enough. I also didn’t read where this trainer was a close friend – maybe recommended by someone else?.

I realize many people send their horses off for months for training. Many have a good experience, many do not.

Not rubbing salt into anyones wounds. More like a wake up call to take the time( if you can) to check on your precious horse in person.

3 Likes

Once a week is a lot for a 3-hour round-trip drive, plus visit time. But once a month might have been doable.

3 Likes

Lots of possible reasons. I know that I would struggle to find time to fit that in my schedule if I was in that situation.

3 Likes

People commute to jobs longer than that on a daily basis – so it is all about what is important to the individual. We make time for what matters to us. If the trainer is sending good pictures or video’s of training rides that you can actually see it makes a difference.

Not the case for the poor woman in the OP.

3 Likes

I know you claim you are not blaming the owner here, but your are bending over backwards to make it sound like it is the owner’s fault that they did not go there.

I don’t care if some people commute three hours to work, that is fine for them if that is what they want to do. That does not make it something everyone can fit into their lives or should have to fit into their lives.

Hindsight makes it easy to say - if only.

23 Likes

It was their choice and they chose not to go there to check on their horse when communication and updates were ignored. I realize not everyone would check on their horse in that situation due to the " commute" for their own reasons.

It isn’t her fault the trainer was not what they claimed to be–but the owner going to check could have gotten the horse out before it was beyond hope.

The ending could have been prevented.

4 Likes

It could have been prevented by a whole huge list of things being different.

The trainer actually feeding the horse.
The trainer not lying to the owner about what is going on.
Etc.

21 Likes

Is the owners Facebook page gone? I was wondering if there was any updates or possibly legal action?

Owner visits, or no visits …

The trainer did not feed the horse. Period.

Hopefully that is prosecutable.

Nothing the owner did or did not do changes that fact. The trainer is 100% accountable for the actions of the trainer.

6 Likes

Must have locked it down with the legal action going on and just because people get stupid.

1 Like

I’ll take that as a sign that a lawyer is involved on the owner’s side. Lawyers tend to hate FB, Insta, etc. social media, and want their clients to deep six them all. Their clients often say stuff on sm that is picked up by the other side, stuff that is a problem for the lawyer’s case.

3 Likes

Or the trainer threatened to sue the owner for libel and the owner got scared–or, more hopefully (as you note), the owner has a lawyer and the lawyer doesn’t want the case to get complicated with some kind of counter-suit by the trainer.

Have a feeling that ship has already sailed.

I’m guessing that more likely the owner’s lawyer doesn’t want a back-and-forth between owner and trainer conducted through public social media, or any channel but the lawyer. Definitely not without a lawyer-filter to be sure the owner doesn’t say things in public that hurt her own case, in some way.

1 Like

I spied with my one good eye, charges have been filed against said trainer.

:horse:

13 Likes