Unlimited access >

Horse treat recipes..come share yours..

What is your horses favorite treat recipe? I’m going to try out a bunch of new recipes, I love to spoil my horse, then again , who doesn’t spoil their baby?lol

[This message was edited by Canadian Image on Dec. 16, 2001 at 02:25 PM.]

maybe Mr Elliot??? haha

Poor Elliot had to endure my attempt last night.

I loved the rolling them out in Kosher Salt, easy to make.
I left in oven too long, and they are crunchy!!!

Elliot sounded like he was crunching a big carrot eating them.

I tried them on a few other horses and they liked them also.
So I am going to repeat but not leave in oven too long this time

-bump-

I know there are recepies out there that haven’t been shared!

Valerie
~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
Valerie’s home page

Since my horse’s birthday is next week, I thought I would bump this thread back up!

Does anyone have any other recipe’s?

Valerie
~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
Valerie’s home page
My horse has her shoes back on! She is high as a kite!

At Christmas I made both, and find the Kosher Salt much more appealing than the Sugar.
The Sugar tended to get dark brown almost burnt looking, not that the horses minded.

I also found them to be a wee bit stickier, and therefore less likely to fare well in one’s pocket for an after lesson quick treat

The horses absolutely love the Kosher Salt on these cookies. They lick and lick after eating them. Quite cute

Thank you Hoopoe for the Kosher Salt idea.
May I add that Hoopoe is a Salt Connoisseur.

“Have You Hugged Your Trainer Today?”

I have now perfected my personal recipe THANK YOU to the Bumpkinette and Hoopoe…

I bake for “Awesome Elliot” once a week now.

This is the recipe I use, very simple, so don’t laugh.

4 to 5 Cups of Quaker Oatmeal

1 to 2 Cups of Molasses

2 to 3 Cups of Wheat Flour

Water, Beer or Apple Juice for moisture.
Corn Oil, a splash or two.

Sometimes I add some brown sugar.

Mix and add flour or moisture until you can roll into balls.
Then I roll the balls in a plate of Kosher Salt
Place on cookie sheet and smush into a 25 cent size flat cookie.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min.

“Have You Hugged Your Trainer Today?”

Not a salt connoisseur unless you are talking about

navy men in uniform ( I grew up in Seattle, was navy mecca in the 60’s espp those European fellows! )
salt water taffy

I dont use salt as a rule

BUT

The way to a horses heart!!!

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

Omalley Cat - I haven’t tried beer bran mash, but in the summer I occasionally pour a beer over my horse’s regular feed. She loves it. Everyone at the barn teases me about the brands of beer I give her. I don’t like beer, so I have no clue what any of them taste like. I usually try to buy something in the middle price range or what’s on sale.

Here’s a cookie recipe
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded carrots (or applesauce)
1 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar
2 tbls vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup molassses

Mix ingredients in bowl with wooden spoon. Drop by teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown in color. (They will be darker if you use dark molasses.) Store in the freezer as they will be fairly soft and mold if left too long. My dog friends like them as well.

I have a similar recipe for a larger quantity-
12 oz molasses
3 cups Quaker oats
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup corn oil
2 cups fruit or vergetables shredded fine

Ann

They invariably get eaten by animals other than the horses. Both my father and Mr. Beezer have been known to scarf what they think are molassess cookies or some such … and yes, I DO tell them what they’ve done. The gagging reflex is a wonderful thing to watch.

I see trees of green, red roses too. I watch 'em bloom for me and for you. And I think to myself … what a wonderful world. Yes, what a wonderful world." – Louie Armstrong.

What is your horses favorite treat recipe? I’m going to try out a bunch of new recipes, I love to spoil my horse, then again , who doesn’t spoil their baby?lol

[This message was edited by Canadian Image on Dec. 16, 2001 at 02:25 PM.]

The College Student’s Treat Recipe:

Take 2 apples from the fruit area of the dining hall and check the salad bar for carrots.

I found a good one!

I will try and make it tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.

3 cups horse bran
2 cups oatmeal (dry, Quaker type)
1/3 cup honey* (Since I just bought molasses, I’m going to use that instead of honey tomorroe)
1/2 cup molasses
1 or more cups grated apples
1 cup flour
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups water* (I’m probably going to use either apple juice, or I may try beer, we’ll see)

Preheat oven to 350� F. Mix all the ingredients, make into small (1") shapes and bake on cookie sheet for ~1hr.

The reason I like it is because I have all the ingredients, and it looks good.

Valerie
~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
Valerie’s home page

My horse takes his treats, " straight up." He doesn’t like them cooked!!!

okay, here’s mine:

Get in your car with at least one other person, who has a good sense of humor.

Drive to Denny’s.

Order pancakes and a milkshake.

While the waitress isn’t looking, steal all the sugar packets.

Pour liberally into your hand whenever you want to treat your horse.

*Note - works best if it is at least 11:30 pm.

~ The cowboy in me is a chicken.

lol, I know there are people out there with lots of treat recipes, please come share them with us…

when my sister and i were little we would make “salads” for our pony. we would just put a bunch of things in a bowl, like apples, cheerios, carrots, cereal, popcorn, crackers, etc, mix it all up, and add juice like apple juice and fruit punch. he really liked it!

Roll on down to PaulaM post and take a look at the ones there. There are many posts in archives, you might search “treat” and “Cookies”

I made a batch yesterday after reading PaulaM post. I forgot my party gift for our hostess today. Bottle of wine ( it is a wine tasting) for her and cookies for the horses.

I didn’t have molasses so used Cane Syrup ( golden syrup) that I had left over from a cake recipie. I didnt have enough dry stuff so ran to the store for oatmeal and corn meal.
Got home and discovered a bag of corn meal on back of shelf.
Let the dough sit overnight and baked this AM.

Easy as can be.

There are now two bags of cookies, one for Susan’s horses and Hummm, whom should I give the other bag to? Hummmm

_\]
– * > hoopoe
Snowmen fall from heaven unassembled.

What’s kosher salt?

Valerie
~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
Valerie’s home page
My horse has her shoes back on! She is high as a kite!

I have a whole book full of horse treats from soups to desserts One recipe that I still want to make but haven’t yet is called beer bran mash. Here’s the recipe if anyone out there wants to make it:

8 cups of bran
8 cups of oats
Pinch of salt
Hot water
1 can of beer

add enough hot water to moisten ingredients, add a pinch of sailt, mix and let steep for 30 minutes or until cool enough to eat. Before feeding, pour a can of fresh beer over the bran mash and feed.

If anyone decides to try this, let me know it turns out!

Katie

Kosher salt is used in Koshering meat and chicken ( salt rub on meat and set for 1 hour then rinsed. I assume to pull out blood residues)

It has a larger grain than regular salt and smaller grain than rock salt. can make a crunchy salty crust on my cookies. You can also use coarse sugar if your pony has a sweet tooth.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.