Unlimited access >

Horse vacations in Connemara, Ireland!

You also go to the beach on the Connemara Trail for part of a day.

[QUOTE=west5;7925553]
I will say that in my opinion the Connemara ponies were substantially nicer than his larger “hunt horses” so that if you are at all pony sized try to get put on a pony.[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree - everything that my Dad and I were put on was absolutely lovely, horse or pony! Dad was only mounted on horses due to his size, but rode some really, really nice animals. I would have been head-over-heels delighted to bring any of them home with me! Willie and his crew are great at sizing you up quickly as well, and I wouldn’t hesitate to put a leg over anything he said I’d enjoy. I even had the distinct pleasure of taking one of his young horses around the Dartfield cross country course - it wasn’t until I brought him back in and was singing his praises that they told me it had been his first time out over fences with anyone but Willie’s sons Declan and William (who are miles better riders than me!). It was a testament to how well they start their horses and the type they pick in the first place!

[QUOTE=Small Change;7926679]
I respectfully disagree - everything that my Dad and I were put on was absolutely lovely, horse or pony! Dad was only mounted on horses due to his size, but rode some really, really nice animals. [/QUOTE]

That is nice to hear. On my particular ride the ponies just happened to be incredible. I realize that the sample size isn’t huge, just what I experienced. (Not saying that the other horses “weren’t nice” just the ponies were of exceptional quality.) Could have been my particular group.

[QUOTE=tessasereyna;7925588]
I would totally go for the ponies, but I’m 5’10" with really long legs (longer than my 6’2 dad), so I really need a taller horse. I’m a very able rider though, so don’t have any qualms about riding a more high-strung or strong horse.[/QUOTE]

As you can see another poster had a lovely experience on the larger horses.

Just so you understand, I found the ponies to be truly phenomenal, not for those who are less able riders or unqualified to ride strong horses. Most of us on the ponies had some serious eventing experience. They were like driving ferraris not go carts!

ETA: I’m sure you will have a wonderful experience however you choose to organize your trip.

What I really could not get over was the sheer variety of horses to ride all over the country. Drafts, thoroughbreds, cobs, etc I sat on every type and had some incredible experiences (jumped some big fences too).

[QUOTE=Guin;7926607]
You also go to the beach on the Connemara Trail for part of a day.[/QUOTE]

The day I joined the group we galloped on the beach and rode through the water. Although it was June, it was not really swimming weather that day so we did not “swim with the horses” :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=tessasereyna;7925588]
I would totally go for the ponies, but I’m 5’10" with really long legs (longer than my 6’2 dad), so I really need a taller horse. I’m a very able rider though, so don’t have any qualms about riding a more high-strung or strong horse.[/QUOTE]

I’m 5’10, and had no qualms about asking to ride a pony, nor did I have any trouble fitting on one. It was a bit of a different feel than my long-necked TB, but they’re stocky guys, and often not really “pony” sized–the one I had was around 15 hands, and I wasn’t at all uncomfortable on him.

Wow, thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

A little update: We’ve decided to do the Coast Trail, and are now just waiting to hear back from the person who’s helping us book about which week in June is least busy and the best weather - we’re either going June 1st - 7th, or June 15th - 21st.

So exciting!! I’ll definitely keep all you guys posted on the trip! :slight_smile:

You will love every moment! I’m jealous. :slight_smile:

west5 - You’re dead on about the quality of the ponies too! I was lucky enough to ride a couple that were just absolute jumping machines with both eventing and show jumping experience. Two especially stick out - one that I was lucky enough to hunt, and another that I flew around the Dartfield course on. I certainly didn’t mean to knock the ponies at all in my previous post (and they’re definitely not the backyardian type that sometimes comes to mind when you think of livery or riding school ponies), but rather just stick up for Willie’s phenomenal horses I had the pleasure of riding as well! :slight_smile: Really, you just can’t go wrong with much of anything that he puts you on.

[QUOTE=Small Change;7931205]
You will love every moment! I’m jealous. :slight_smile:

west5 - You’re dead on about the quality of the ponies too! I was lucky enough to ride a couple that were just absolute jumping machines with both eventing and show jumping experience. Two especially stick out - one that I was lucky enough to hunt, and another that I flew around the Dartfield course on. I certainly didn’t mean to knock the ponies at all in my previous post (and they’re definitely not the backyardian type that sometimes comes to mind when you think of livery or riding school ponies), but rather just stick up for Willie’s phenomenal horses I had the pleasure of riding as well! :slight_smile: Really, you just can’t go wrong with much of anything that he puts you on.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, my brother was SOOOO tempted to come home with a really big souvenir (the ISH Willie had him on, some monstrous red thing. The price on the horse was right, but my brother has yet to live anywhere with reasonable boarding rates!)

One more question we were curious about - for those of you who have done the trails, does the Coast Trail or the main Connemara Trail have any/more forests? My mom really wants to get some riding time through forests, and we weren’t sure whether the Connemara trails would have that or not.

Good question. The day I rode we were nowhere near forests.

I rode all over the western part of the country and don’t remember riding through any forests. The countryside is simply stunning and I didn’t miss it.

Some of the places I stayed had “forested property” which I really think of as old estate landscaping. I believe Ashford Castle had some trails that went through old growth trees/forest land but I wouldn’t consider it a true forest.

We went up into a forestry area when we rode out of Aille Cross, Willie’s home stable that they foxhunt out of.

Connemara has a little bit more of forestry but that part of the country is has fairly barren areas, from apparently the days where the British got rid of the trees so the Irish had fewer places to hide. Not sure if that’s accurate history or not.