Unlimited access >

Horse vacations in Connemara, Ireland!

Hey everyone! I’m new to this forum so don’t really know how it works. But, I was wanting to get opinions on the best ride to do in Ireland, and thought I could get some opinions here or at least get told where to post!

My mom and I (I’m 18) are going to Ireland next summer for a horse trekking vacation, and are trying to choose between two different rides. The main things we are looking for is a ride that will show us the quintessential beauty of Ireland, give us opportunities to swim with the horses (and for me some jumping as well), and overall just have a great time in a gorgeous place that includes riding in varied terrain (including mountains, beaches, and forests).

The rides we’re looking at are the Connemara Trail and the Connemara Coast Trail. They are guided by Willie Leahy, and are both 6 day treks in Connemara. The Coast Trail starts where the Connemara Trail ends, and follows the coastline for the most part, while the Connemara Trail goes up through the bogs, mountains, forests, and other terrain of that region and only has one day on the beach.

For reference, here are the itinerary’s for both rides:
Connemara Trail: http://www.hiddentrails.com/pub/tour.aspx?id=ireland_connemara_trail
Coast Trail: http://www.hiddentrails.com/tour/ireland_connemara_coast_trail.aspx

If anyone has experience with either of these rides or knows Ireland, input would be great! It’s a really hard decision, since both sound amazing. What one do you think is more scenic? Downsides and upsides?

One last question was when the best time was the go. We have been told late June/ early July, but wanted some other opinions.

Thanks so much!

I’ve never ridden over there, but I cannot imagine a more stunning place on this earth. Really. I loved the West coast the best.

I have distant family members who have been on Willie Leahy’s riding tours and they had nothing but wonderful things to say. Not sure of the riding level of most folks going.

Let us know and post pictures of whatever you do so we can enjoy it vicariously!!! Have a great trip!

This will be a wonderful vacation for you both. Another option for you could be look into riding at Clonshire EQ in County Limerick. They do everything, dressage, jumping, pre hunting courses. They have a great cross country course, estate is on 120 acres and its totally fabulous. June/July no hunting of course but they can tailor make a holiday riding plan for you both. I used to live there and kept my horses there so I can totally recommend.

I believe summer is peak tourist season. If you can go in early June, you may find everyone has more time for you. I think you will have a wonderful time. We went to Dublin for the Royal Dublin Horse Show this year. It was fabulous. I want to go to Connemara and the Ring of Kerry to do some trail riding at some point.

Have fun.

Without a doubt, you will love either of those rides. My Dad and I had the pleasure of riding with Willie in 2011 (it’s shocking to me that it was already three years ago), and I just adored every moment I was with them. We went for the hunting, not the one of the trails, but I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to the Leahys for anything riding-related. Lovely people and spectacular horses! The only part I didn’t enjoy? Saying goodbye!

Dad on Alec, and myself on Pretty Lady

Oh that is so what i want to do!
I loved Ireland (was on the southeast area). I was there in May and it was great.

Keep us posted on your plans and trip!

I rode with Willie for one day of one of his treks in 2002- just got in touch with him and made the arrangements to meet them along the way. It’s a great ride- I believe I was on the Connemara Trail version, I think they end the last day on the coast.

[QUOTE=ako;7923830]
I’ve never ridden over there, but I cannot imagine a more stunning place on this earth. Really. I loved the West coast the best.

I have distant family members who have been on Willie Leahy’s riding tours and they had nothing but wonderful things to say. Not sure of the riding level of most folks going.

Let us know and post pictures of whatever you do so we can enjoy it vicariously!!! Have a great trip![/QUOTE]

My brother can’t recommend Willie’s tours highly enough. (He managed not to buy a horse, but he was sorely tempted.)

If I were going to Connemara, I would go in mid August, to coincide with the big Connemara Pony Show in Clifden.

Wow, Willie Leahy is still in the saddle? That’s awesome. I did the Connemara Trail (not the Coast Trail) with him in…1988. Damn, I’m old. He knows more about horses than the rest of us do put together. The riding level was pretty advanced - long fast-paced canters, and jumping if you wanted to. Very nice horses.

NOTE: THERE ARE BUGS. Swarms of gnats in the bogs! Bring DEET bug repellent!

I did a week of cross country riding and fox hunting with Willie and cannot recommend him enough. Tons of fun and absolutely amazing horses.

The last day is now spent at Dartfield for all sorts of cross country jumping on both trails. I’ve gone in June and September, one of these years I’ll make it to coincide w/ Dublin Horse Show… the other thing is going towards the end of September and then you can spend the last weekend at the Ballinasloe Horse Fair - its something to be seen.

Hi - I own a travel agency and help people with these kinds of trips all the time! Contact me and I can put a great opportunity together for you. Connie@createthemomenttravel.com

Deciding is definitely the hard part! I’m sure we will love either trail!! I really love beach riding and swimming with horses, so I’m leaning towards the Coast Trail. Anyone out there who has done the coast trail who can talk about what it was like? Scenery, etc?

Also - when do you think the weather would be warmest? I really want to do some swimming in the ocean, so we really want to time it so we can get that opportunity.

[QUOTE=tessasereyna;7924997]
Also - when do you think the weather would be warmest? I really want to do some swimming in the ocean, so we really want to time it so we can get that opportunity.[/QUOTE]

I can’t speak to either of the specific tours you’re looking at, but I did a 2 hour ride out of Clifden when I was in Ireland earlier this year, and it was top 3 in the most fun things I’ve ever done on a horse. Just stunning. Connemara is gorgeous, and the beaches were so much prettier than I’d expected.

We were there in late April, and down near Dingle, went out on Inch beach. There were plenty of people surfing, and honestly, if I’d had a swimsuit along (who packs that for Ireland in April?) I’d have probably gotten in myself. The water wasn’t particularly cold, compared to say water off Cape Cod in late summer. If you’re looking for good weather and fewer tourists, perhaps late May or early June would be better for you than later in the summer, when more people are traveling.

We went in June, it was on the whole a very wet year for Ireland, hard to get the hay in, but we had a grand time. Loved the Dingle Peninsula and, well, it’s a little country, we drove from there to the Curragh for the Irish Derby, overnighted near by, then drove out to Connemara to hook up with Willie’s group.

[QUOTE=Beverley;7924323]
I rode with Willie for one day of one of his treks in 2002- just got in touch with him and made the arrangements to meet them along the way. It’s a great ride- I believe I was on the Connemara Trail version, I think they end the last day on the coast.[/QUOTE]

I did this too in 2006.
Rode a Connemara pony that some other American who couldn’t really ride fell off of the day before. Pony was a SAINT!

Turned out the pony was the main ride of Willie’s current “girlfriend’s” son. Most incredible hunt pony. I jumped, galloped on the beach, etc

I will say that in my opinion the Connemara ponies were substantially nicer than his larger “hunt horses” so that if you are at all pony sized try to get put on a pony.

Had a blast.

I also rode in Kerry, outside of Cork, etc.

Every town I was in I looked up local equestrian establishments and had some incredible experiences. If you like beach riding I rode fabulous horses outside of Kerry on the beach all day galloping in the surf.
With http://www.killarney-riding-stables.com/killarney-reeks-trail.htm

I did the mini trail ride fun and very uncomplicated safe, sane horses.

I would totally go for the ponies, but I’m 5’10" with really long legs (longer than my 6’2 dad), so I really need a taller horse. I’m a very able rider though, so don’t have any qualms about riding a more high-strung or strong horse.

When I went I messed up my pounds to stones conversion and I think told them I weighed about 300 pounds. There was a little confusion when I showed up. (I’m a size 4 and 5’6"). But they brought out the biggest, nicest horse I have ever sat on. I was blown away with him. I was more than a little bummed when he got assigned to someone else the next day. I spent most of the rest of the week on a super fun chestnut mare in the mornings and different ponies in the afternoon.

I have a soft spot for crazy red heads so it worked out well for me.