Unlimited access >

Horse w Flying Tale or Grey Flannel Suit?

The Horse with the Flying Tale or The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit?

Which is your favorite old horse movie out of these two and why?

Thanks.

And were they both made about the same time period, anyone know?

The Horse With the Flying Tail. Because its more of a documentary with some of the greats of that era.

They’re both in the same time span and made by Disney.

LetItBe

2 Likes

Where do you find The Horse with the Flying Tail? It’s not available on Netflix.

The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit is a better movie. It also holds up pretty well. They did use some amazing real footage of great show jumpers. My daughter loves watching it and so do I.

I love the old footage of Nautical and the USET in the Horse with the Flying Tail (and am glad to have a copy), but it does not hold up nearly as well as a movie. Not only is the first part of the story fictionalized, but it’s also quite horribly racist, with the “antics” on the Indian reservation. I suspect this is why Disney has not made it widely available.

I like 'em both, give the nod to Nautical because I had the pleasure of meeting Hugh Wiley once. You can buy the DVD on Amazon.

On the other hand, watching Kathy Kusner riding Aberali (this You Tube clip from the Italian version of the film) was way fun too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq9z3dJRE4A

1 Like

[QUOTE=Beverley;7262630]
I like 'em both, give the nod to Nautical because I had the pleasure of meeting Hugh Wiley once. You can buy the DVD on Amazon.

On the other hand, watching Kathy Kusner riding Aberali (this You Tube clip from the Italian version of the film) was way fun too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq9z3dJRE4A[/QUOTE]

LOVE that! HITGFS is one of my absolute favorite movies! Still haven’t seen Horse with the flying tail. I’m sure it’s good too!

1 Like

My favorite was “The Horsemasters” with Annette. But out of the two choices, I’d have to go with “Horse With the Flying Tail” too.

…and notice Kathy’s beautiful following hand! :wink:

1 Like

I like them both for different reasons. I like the Flying Tail documentary for the story of a horse becoming a world class jumper, and winning big. Gray Flannel is a fun movie, with a cute story, and with lots of action. It’s really fun to see some of the greats from the past, and to see the DC Armory. My first horse show visit was to watch the competition at the DC Armory.

1 Like

Definitely the Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit. Dean Jones’ chase of, and subsequent cross country ride on, Aspercel is one of my all time favorite horse movie scenes. Plus, the guy who owned the place I learned to ride makes a brief appearance in the montage of Madison Square Garden show jumping competitors.

1 Like

The horse in the gray flannel suit!!!
My very non-horsey husband was very disappointed when the trailer we bought looked nothing like the trailer in the movie!!

3 Likes

And you couldn’t pull it with a sports car!

2 Likes

I do wish the HITGFS had been as good as the book, “Year of the Horse.” Of course, the instructor in the book was MALE, and married daddy ALMOST, but not quite, had an affair with his barrel racing secretary … but all Disney dads have to be widowers, apparently…so we get a female instructor, instead of the secretary learning to ride English and jump and being coached by the BNT.

Horse with the Flying Tail might not be on Netflicks, but the DVD is available for purchase, after having been unavailable for many years. Just fast forward past the nonsense until you get to the actual footage of Nautical.

Now, the kinda “cute” horsey movie I wish I could find is “Stormy” - also a Disney flick, - about a TB born too late in the year to race, i.e., he’s only a couple of months old on New Year’s Day, so he has difficulty finding a place in life, but eventually ends up a successful polo pony. Very cute.

1 Like

Never seen “…Flying Tail” (and if the fictionalized part is that bad, that explains why it’s not easy to find–heck, Disney is touchy enough you have to bootleg “Song of the South.”) But I love “Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit.” Not as much as “The Horsemasters”, though.

Bumping this old thread up because I just found both movies on Youtube.

The Horse in Grey Flannel Suit is one of my favourites and I haven’t seen it in 25 years! I love how everyone tows their float with the family wagon or a sport coupe…

Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit

Horse With the Flying Tail

1 Like

with adorable Kurt Russell driving you to the horse show lol

1 Like