Unlimited access >

Horse-ware no fly zone

I am considering a fly sheet. I’m looking at the Horseware Rambo Hoody Vamoose as it has no fly zone . https://www.performancehorseblankets.com/products/rambo-hoody-vamoose-with-no-fly-zone Has anybody tried these? I also like the weatherbeeta’s but they are not treated like the var moose. I think the weatherbeeta with the giraffe print is rather adorable but no belly wrap.

What is your favourite fly sheet? Is a belly wrap needed. I would really appreciate hearing your experience and opinions. I may end up only putting a fly sheet on my horse overnight to cover the bugs at dawn and dusk but depends how bad the bugs are. Where are you don’t get a terrible amount of bugs bite he is sensitive and gets welts where they bite him. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

1 Like

My favorites are the Amigo Bug Buster (pre-treated with repellant, fits well) and the Schneider’s Mosquito Mesh (for the ones that get hot really easily). I also have a Rambo Protector, but it seems to run a bit hotter than the Amigo.

1 Like

I have Rambo Fly Buster Vamoose sheets that I like very much. I don’t know if the Vamoose part makes a difference, but the sheets themselves are nice and very sturdy. I use them in the Spring and Fall, but in the heat of summer I think they are too hot for this area. My pony has an Amigo Bug Rug which is nice and cool and works well, although I don’t think it is nearly as indestructible as the Rambo sheets. I just bought an Amigo Revolution to try this year - I am hoping it will be cooler than the Rambo.

Last year was the first year that I really used fly sheets a lot. They make a big difference in horse comfort. I could look out in my pasture and see stomping feet and swishing tails, walk out and put sheets on, and the horses would be still and quiet. I do also use ShooFly Leggins. They are the best thing ever for stopping the stomp.

3 Likes

Thank you! I also think the Kensington SureFit Protective Fly Sheet looks really cool. Has anybody tried these? Fo the horses get rubs at all? All my current blankets have shoulder gussets. I was looking for a belly wrap aside from that these are neat looking fly sheets. I love this year how these sheets work for you?

Than you very much!

I love my Kensington fly sheet for my Andalusian/Welsh cross, but it didn’t fit my Saddlebred right in the neck and shoulder area. I will 100% replace the Kensington for the pony when it dies, currently we’re on year 4 with it and there’s just some pulls in the material that don’t impact the functionality.

For Kensington, I do have to size up. My pony wears a 66" normally but all her Kensington blankets are 69". Even sizing up for the ASB wasn’t big enough, but she is very high headed and has giant shoulders paired with a muscular but tiny butt.

Does your horse get hot all ? Does it get any rubs?

Do people leave fly sheets on turned-out horses or just in the barn? I’m wondering if they stand up well to being rolled in, etc.

We only use them for turnout. Between fans, manure management, and fly-spray systems, there are better options for us in the barn.

1 Like

I only use fly sheets for turnout. I have fans in the barn.

I’m in Florida so they always get a bit sweaty since my horses refuse to stand in the ample shade provided or go into their open stalls for a break. (They’ll literally pull their hay out of the shade and stalls to eat it in the full sun) But I don’t notice any additional sweat with the Kensington. We did have one season where she lost hair on her chest but I’m not sure if that was from the fly sheet or because she was with another horse who would pull on the fly sheet, sliding it around, and beat her up.

My favorite for warm weather, next to the Kensington, is the Schneider’s mosquito mesh. That one doesn’t cause any extra sweat on my ASB and that mare sweats a LOT. The mosquito mesh isn’t as durable though as my Kensington so I was only able to get 2 seasons out of that before it needed to be retired.

I leave my fly sheets on in the stalls and turned out. My barn gets a natural breeze and does not have electric yet so I keep them on. I do pull the sheets daily to check for rubs and rotate sheets so that any dirt under the sheet and the sheet itself can get cleaned off.

Thank you so much for your replies! I am ready to place an order this weekend my hold up has been full neck, detach a neck or standard neck?

I am also ready to order a fly mask. I was going to order a fly mask this morning I realized that one out chose was 60% UV protection. I then noticed that the absorbine fly mask is 80% UV protection. How important it is it to protect a horse from UV rays? I am also going to order a fly sheet but trying to choose between Integrated neck, detachable neck or standard neck fly sheet. We don’t have a lot of flies so far but as it gets warmer next week I anticipate some will start come out. He will only wear a fly sheet if the flies become bothersome which I anticipate they will.

Any thoughts or options greatly appreciated !

I can’t comment on fly sheets but I recommend Shoo Fly leggings. I and many people at my barn have noticed great stomping relief with them.

2 Likes

I have a Rambo Protector for my horse. It has a separate neck. I’ve found that for a horse with a neck set high on the shoulder the separate neck is better. With this sort of confirmation an integrated neck tends to lift the body of the blanket/sheet more, and the neck tends to collapse and bunch in front of the withers.

I don’t like belly bands because they never seem to fit right. The Rambo has a long drop and leg arches that allows the sides to wrap quite far under the belly.

1 Like