Unlimited access >

Horse with strange behavior

And yet he has bitten you. Maybe you are not the “herd leader” you think you are.

If they did what would they do ? " bite,chase or kick the hell out of them" we have an understanding I tell him to stand in the middle of the field if I am working him, he will until I say he can move . This is the first time he’s Been crosstie and I am not making excuses for him. All I want to know is how to fix the problem or correct it .

I would start by dropping all of the “herd leader” amateur animal psychology, and disallowing him the opportunity to bite. By the time he’s bitten you, it’s too late.

When it is work time that kind of behavior is not acceptable . He only does this with stiff brushes and that first time in the washstall. Doesn’t with soft brushes or hands hence why me and my trainer doesn’t think it’s ulcers . We think he’s just being a piss head

He is sensitive, if it is only stiff brushes. You say you’ve had him for several years. When did the sensitivity to stiff brushes start? And if they cause him discomfort, why use them?

If you proceed from the position “he’s just being a piss head”, you wil more than likely not find the answer to the problem.

OP - ^listen to Ghazzu…

I hate to offer my meager post after such knowledge…but…any chance Lyme Disease is prevalent in your area? When my horse had Lyme he was very sensitive to being brushed and it made him angry enough to try to bite me, but he’s sort of a curmudgeon anyway. In any event, you need to have your vet out to examine your horse.

Several of you seem to think it’s OK to pick on grammar/other errors yet you seemed to get the gist of her post quite easily.

And why don’t people seek help or seem open to advice?

Gee, I can’t imagine.

OP, perhaps send private messages to the ones here who seem willing to help and don’t make perfect grammar a prerequisite for being kind to another person who clearly loves an animal.

Ummm to quote op “we think he is jist being a piss head” …rather than seriously considering any of the advice being offered. Maybe it is just the horse’s attitude, but why ask for advice if you are just going to claim you know it all and are the herd(or maybe turd is actually the correct word) leader and basically be so disagreeable to all feedback. OH so we have a reason to oull out the wine n pop corn!!!

The last thing anyone wants to do is ignore a nipping horse’s nipping. A sharp reaction , no hitting on the head, with a swat with a whip, accompanied by an angry voice, repeated if necessary, usually ends it right then and there,

A vet should evaluate your possible ulcer problem.

The training advice you get from those around you lacks any practical value.

It wasn’t just the grammar…it was the defensive tone of the post, as well. I agree that the training advice you are getting at your barn, OP, is not worth the time to listen to it.

Animals are often “piss heads” for a reason, and it’s worth the time to figure out why that might be.

Have you had a real live, qualified equine vet come and examine this horse? Horses don’t just go and decide one day to become a “piss head” (using your terminology). Sounds like he’s in pain and could be due to ulcers, Lyme, any number of things.

[QUOTE=nu2u;8573131]
Ummm to quote op “we think he is jist being a piss head” …rather than seriously considering any of the advice being offered. Maybe it is just the horse’s attitude, but why ask for advice if you are just going to claim you know it all and are the herd(or maybe turd is actually the correct word) leader and basically be so disagreeable to all feedback. OH so we have a reason to oull out the wine n pop corn!!![/QUOTE]

She gave some qualifying info in her OP that speaks to a discerning, caring reader. Perhaps you aren’t one.

Are you implying what it sounds like about the herd leader?

What’s “oull” BTW?

Oh heaven forbid and please forgive me I was imperfect and made a typo… other readers reported and the moderators decided to warn/reprimand/discipline whatever you want to call it the OP…not me.

A few more ideas for OP to consider:
Your horse has had some pretty big changes in his weight – that can affect how well the saddle fits. If it no longer fits well, it might be causing pain and making him defensive to being touched.

Another thought: my mare gets defensive when I’m grooming her in the girth area. I have learned that is a sign she is due for another Legend shot, because her stifles are sore. So, OP, consider whether your horse could have any pain originating from the hind legs?

[QUOTE=right horse at the right time;8573104]
Several of you seem to think it’s OK to pick on grammar/other errors yet you seemed to get the gist of her post quite easily.

And why don’t people seek help or seem open to advice?

Gee, I can’t imagine.

OP, perhaps send private messages to the ones here who seem willing to help and don’t make perfect grammar a prerequisite for being kind to another person who clearly loves an animal.[/QUOTE]

You missed the deleted comments. She didn’t want help after all…

[QUOTE=right horse at the right time;8573770]
She gave some qualifying info in her OP that speaks to a discerning, caring reader. Perhaps you aren’t one.

Are you implying what it sounds like about the herd leader?

What’s “oull” BTW?[/QUOTE]

I find it curious that the same poster waxing sanctimonious wrt other peoples’’ posts sees no reason not to behave in the fashion she finds unacceptable in others…

[QUOTE=Nootka;8574350]
You missed the deleted comments. She didn’t want help after all…[/QUOTE]

I know. I’m referring to her first post which gave information that was crucial if someone really wanted to help, which thankfully some have. And others have chosen a different path, sadly.

[QUOTE=Ghazzu;8574359]
I find it curious that the same poster waxing sanctimonious wrt other peoples’’ posts sees no reason not to behave in the fashion she finds unacceptable in others…[/QUOTE]

I don’t like bullies, especially ones who hide behind their keyboards and take cheap shots at someone’s grammar. I mean, come on. Read through it.

That’s a far cry from pointing out a “spelling error.”

I’m sure you understand the difference.

[QUOTE=right horse at the right time;8575308]
I don’t like bullies, especially ones who hide behind their keyboards and take cheap shots at someone’s grammar. I mean, come on. Read through it.

That’s a far cry from pointing out a “spelling error.”

I’m sure you understand the difference.[/QUOTE]

I think the OP has left this conversation, as they haven’t been back since the day the thread was posted, but by all means, we can continue to quarrel over this. :winkgrin:

right horse, maybe you are referring to those who started pulling out the popcorn back on page one, but I don’t think you saw the combative posts, made by the OP, that were removed. They got very good advice from many users, including myself, who took them seriously, even though they didn’t want to hear a word of it.

Then they got nasty, told us they didn’t give a rat’s behind about their grammar and spelling (which, if even close to correct, would have made their posts much easier to understand), and if we didn’t like it we could buzzer off. They come out, after many suggestions that the horse needs a vet out in case this was a pain response, saying their opinion is the horse is being a jerk. Well, then I guess no one needed our help to begin with, right? Add in that they specified, in the very first post, that they’ve “been on boards like this before”, and cautioned us on what we could and couldn’t tell them…

With how long you’ve been around these boards, surely you can recognize when the efforts of many to be genuinely helpful are futile, because someone is stringing us along? :yes:

This ^^^

And the fact she like to chase it around a pen and it still tried to bite her so it couldn’t be Ulcers… :confused:

She got very ticked off that anyone would think so because her vet or trainer did a belly test and that showed there were no ulcer issues!!!

Always wonder if some of these threads from brand new posters making very dramatic claims are even real or just scraps thrown out from under a bridge.

These scraps are pure entertainment gold, though.

This one might have been questionable.