Unlimited access >

Horses for Sale and Good Barns to Board at Chester County Montgomery County PA

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking at buying my first horse under my name. I’m in the South East PA area, (Montco and Ches Co being the main places I’d be.) Ideally I’m looking for a hunter jumper that flats well or an eventer. Any ideas on where to even begin looking? My max budget is pretty much less than $5000. Does anyone have success stories from getting a horse out of New Holland (Besides Snowball) I’d be willing to do an OTTB as well.

I’d be looking at Biking from Exton in order to ride.

I’d also need a barn to be at. I know Phillip Dutton’s True Prospect Farm is realitively close by and there’s more hunter jumper barns than you can count in the area. Does anyone know a good eventing barn other than Phillip’s place? And if not does Phillip offer boarding and if so how much is it per month? I’d be unable to pay more than 1500 per month in board and lessons. If links to barn websites are please let me know.

Any Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi EMST!

I run a barn in Kennett Square, we cater to OTTBs, so have a few available and boarding. We are decidedly NOT fancy, but very workmanlike. Send me a PM for more info.

Contact Jessica Redman at Benchmark Sport Horses. She has some nice OTTBs right now, and I think an appendix. Her nice ones go fast though.

There are tons of 3 and 4* eventers in the Unionville/Cochranville area; I know Erin Sylvester and Kate Hicks board (although I don’t know if they have openings). Don’t know about the Schramms or Matt Brown. Also some of the younger UL riders, such as Jennie Brannigan and Ryan Wood. Molly Kinnamon is in Kirkwood (not sure if that is Chester or Lancaster county) and Pam Wiedmann is in Christiana, near C-ville. I am sure BFNE will get on this thread and offer up more ideas. Although if you edited your title to include your location you would get more responses.

[QUOTE=kcmel;8689225]
There are tons of 3 and 4* eventers[/QUOTE]

Personally I’m talking about getting my first eventing horse and I’ve only done low Jumping in a ring with the occasional log or two out on trails but I’ve done a bunch of dressage work. I basically need someone who has the patience to deal with teaching me the ropes of the jumping world. I’m not sure I’m ready to train with a 3 or 4 star eventer, or if I’d have the skill to work with them yet outside of a week or two in summer camp.

There are plenty of nice barns, good trainers who teach all levels, and horses priced under $5k-- and you don’t necessarily need an eventing barn. If you are on a budget (like most of us) just look for a friendly, inviting place with great care (should be more like $600-$800) and invest in a truck and trailer instead. The Horse of Delaware Valley is a good resource for boarding barns (http://horsedelval.com/)

[QUOTE=EMST;8690165]
Personally I’m talking about getting my first eventing horse and I’ve only done low Jumping in a ring with the occasional log or two out on trails but I’ve done a bunch of dressage work. I basically need someone who has the patience to deal with teaching me the ropes of the jumping world. I’m not sure I’m ready to train with a 3 or 4 star eventer, or if I’d have the skill to work with them yet outside of a week or two in summer camp.[/QUOTE]

Pam would be good, and maybe Kate. My trainer would be great for you, but she is in S. Jersey.

Wow yeah and considering I’m likely going to be biking to the barn for the next 11 months that’s a bit of a haul. Do you know anything about Alliquippa? I found a few other posts that recommended it for people who need to be really close to the Exton/Downingtown area.

The place I board my retired horse is very near Downingtown, fairly cheap ($600 full board), and has a prelim level rider that teaches lessons (she rides with Sally Cousins). There is a wait list, but if you like I can find out how long it is. There are also lots of trails and a nearby indoor that is easy to hack to in the winter.

Actually, I have another suggestion. I will send you a PM.

I think Flying Horse Farm/Becca Diesinger is up that way. She’s really nice and does a great job, although I haven’t been to her farm, just seen her st shows and lessons.

I would suggest you buy either a more made horse…not a greenie off track…or lease a older been there done that horse for a while and get some actual eventing experiance…That way you can gauge your confidence and bravery XC as well as home your SJ skills without the struggle,of bringing along a totally green horse…just my 2 cents…The cost of board will increase dramatically when you have to add in lessons at least 2x week and training rides for the Green Horse.

Biking from Exton significantly limits where you can board. It will NOT be nice in the winter and honestly, even the backroads around here can be bloody dangerous to cyclists. Hilly, narrow and lots of blind turns to highways. Very few roads have safe shoulders (without craters of potholes).

I would say save your money until you can afford a car/truck. Owning a truck and trailer then let’s you board where you want and go where you want.

There are a ton of places in this are with eventers of all levels. If you want access to an indoor, your options become more limited.

I also agree greed that you would be better off leasing at first. Buying a green OTTB is not the best way to learn. I have several OTTBs and I love them but green is not what I recommend to any green rider.

I’ve heard of her on other forums that I’ve followed. I’ll have to check out her farm website.

My mom is willing to give me rides to the barn in the winter but her summer schedule doesn’t allow it. I guess I could be considered a green rider? I’ve been put on hard cases before as a working student on freshly OTTBs I’ve trained up to 3rd level dressage it’s more the jumping seeing as I’ve only gone up to 1-2 feet and not had jump courses. Leasing certainly seems like an option or a lease to own situation (Does that even happen?) I should probably elaborate my experience more in the original post.

[QUOTE=EMST;8690541]
My mom is willing to give me rides to the barn in the winter but her summer schedule doesn’t allow it. I guess I could be considered a green rider? I’ve been put on hard cases before as a working student on freshly OTTBs I’ve trained up to 3rd level dressage it’s more the jumping seeing as I’ve only gone up to 1-2 feet and not had jump courses. Leasing certainly seems like an option or a lease to own situation (Does that even happen?) I should probably elaborate my experience more in the original post.[/QUOTE]

I would consider you green in training a horse to jump. And that is not ideal. Especially on an OTTB which are often athletic and sensitive. Yes there are leases around. Especially in this area. But within biking distance of Exton will be hard.

I see where you’re coming from. Biking distance for me is up to 15 miles. I’d be out at the barn most days (Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday Sunday) for at least 4 hours a day. I see where concern could lie with athletic but very sensitive horses. I’ve had experiences with 2 mares like this a welsh cross and an Arab Broodmare who would throw tantrums (Crow hopping bucking and jigging) if you weren’t quiet and soft in their mouths and saddle.

I don’t believe Philip takes/caters to “general boarders”. Most if not all of his “boarders” are not “owner operators”. In other words they own the horse or parts of a syndicated horse that are trained and ridden by him and or one his team.

As others have said biking from Exton to this area would take quite a long time and would be changeling with traffic. But certainly would be impressive dedication and you would get quite fit!

I ski raced in my early to mid teen for a ski area in Vt. I lived on Long Island and would generally get rides up on the weekends with friends who had a house in the area. But when they weren’t going I would hitch hike, my parents thought I was getting a ride. Play hookie on Fridays from school. Slept in my tent in the woods. I was also very much into mountaineering and would hitch to New Hampshire to climb. My parents would give me bus fair but I pocked that to save and buy more and better equipment. Thinking back now I can’t believe I put that much effort into it, lol. In later years I hitched hiked around many parts of the country. Met a lot of interesting people and had some very interesting encounters.

Too bad you don’t live close by I would take you on as a paid “working student”. You sound like a person that would be worth picking up and taking home. I enjoy working and teaching beginner, intermediates learning to jump.

The Maryland Huntcup “center fold” picture in the Chronicle a few weeks ago of Sarah Shafer was a former “working student” of a few years ago. Granted she had a solid riding back ground but had never ridden Steeplechase horses or racehorse. She was working at Lowes when her number was given to me. A year later I helped her get her jump jock license. That chance encounter changed her life. She left here knowing how to gallop and work with racehorse, I put her together with a trainer who also help her to learn the ropes of flat racing. She has ridden amateur flat races in Europe, expenses paid and quite a few jump races. Had a great HS gal work for me and she got her jump jock license. She now trains racehorses.

I have two 6 year old TBs that have a lot of re-schooling at this point. A lot more that the others suggested to take a look at on the websites in the same price range. One lightly race one unraced. One is an “easy rider, point and shot” perfect for a person just leaning to jump. All around horse, Eventing and or Hunters and definitely has the mind to be a fox hunter also. The other is easy also but needs more of a low level intermediate rider to bring out the best in him.

I can’t speak for all “sellers” but I have found “young people” that get on to me about horses for sale are VERY “unprofessional” and tend to waste my time. I take a lot of time to give detailed information, videos and pictures and they can’t be bother to email back, “thanks, I will look over and get back”.

So, please understand that when you get on to people it takes time to respond, give in formation and provide videos and pictures. Be dead honest about your riding skills and have the courtesy to respond regardless if the horses suite or not. Just say thank you very much but I don’t think the horse/s are/is what I am looking for.

I don’t mind showing horses most are tire kickers IME or just very unrealistic about what their budget will buy. But it is really disappointing after spending hours of my time and the expense of paying a rider they can’t be bothered to send an email and or call and say “thank your”.

This courtesy will be remember by many even if you don’t buy a horse. They may, will come a time when you will want to look at horses in the future and there is a good chance the same people may have what you are looking for. You don’t want to burn bridges. I have a list of people I won’t bother to respond to anymore. I pass it on to others with a “seller be warned”.

Good luck with your search. Feel free to get on to me about the 2 horses I have.

[QUOTE=kcmel;8689225]
There are tons of 3 and 4* eventers in the Unionville/Cochranville area; I know Erin Sylvester and Kate Hicks board (although I don’t know if they have openings). Don’t know about the Schramms or Matt Brown. Also some of the younger UL riders, such as Jennie Brannigan and Ryan Wood. Molly Kinnamon is in Kirkwood (not sure if that is Chester or Lancaster county) and Pam Wiedmann is in Christiana, near C-ville. I am sure BFNE will get on this thread and offer up more ideas. Although if you edited your title to include your location you would get more responses.[/QUOTE]

Kirkwood is in Lancaster about 15 miles S-W of here.

Forgot to add, Jen Berry, Integrity Farm is located just outside of Unionville on 82. She is a H/J trainer. Considering most Eventers start with H/J she might be worth getting on to. Jen’s a friend and really well liked by her boarders/students. Good facility with an Indoor and great outdoor ring. Great “rideabllty” around the farm and the area. Can hack to the Laurel’s persevere so you can get lots of experience riding out and about. This is Cheshire hunt country so there are lots of jumps around the country side, stream crossing etc. Plenty of stuff to give a horse a good learning experience.

http://www.integrityfarms.net/about/