Unlimited access >

Hose - clockwise or counterclockwise?

Sounds like my idea of a good time! :rofl:

Counter clockwise if itā€™s brand new ā€¦ if itā€™s stiff and belligerent like most old hoses become whatever way the hose desires all the while swearing as long as itā€™s tidy and equal. Can we talk about people who donā€™t roll up hoses neatly ? Or gaspā€¦ just leave a bunch of it laying ground side. shudder Makes me cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs

2 Likes

Yep, this. I never get a kink when dragging out a hose ā€œcoiledā€ up like this.

I almost always get a kink when dragging out a hose coiled in a circle.

I agree that a hose thatā€™s too cold does not want to do all the required straightening to be coiled in a circle such that it doesnā€™t ever kink when pulling it out.

Now, can we talk about the people who coil things starting from the nozzle end? WHO DOES THAT! Oh, right, my husband :expressionless:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what we do with the hose at the barn. It gets pulled over the sooper fancie draining U we made for it, then it gets laid on the ground (doubled back to not be in front of gates), and then pushed up against the wall. This works best for the boarders who canā€™t figure out how to coil a hose to save their lives.

1 Like

Thatā€™s so funny. Iā€™m a leftie and coil the hose clockwise, so I thought it made sense that most people did it counter clockwise. Here I was thinking that handed-ness determines these things. Apparently not!

1 Like

Away from the front of the wash rack, whichever way that is. Why? I have no idea. Iā€™ve never thought about it before but Iā€™m picturing the hoses in the different barns Iā€™ve been in and if Iā€™m facing the hose and the wash rack opens to the aisle to my left I wind the hose clockwise. If the wash rack is on the other side of the aisle or the hose is on the other wall and the front of the wash stall opens to the right of me when facing the hose, I roll counter clockwise. Maybe because if the hose is stretched into the aisle for water buckets thatā€™s how I naturally draw it back as I roll? Very strange to start thinking about! haha

Same.
But upon reflectingā€¦ I think that is because the hydrant in the barn is to the right of the hose reel. So attached hose seems to naturally get onto the reel clockwise.
Outside hoses also seem to coil left of the faucet, so clockwise.
Or is that because Iā€™m a Lefty? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like