Hosting a Trail Ride for the first time

I am planning on a hosting a trail ride in one of our parks as a fundraiser for a not for profit group. This will be a first for this particular park in a long time. (name to be announced soon).

What have I forgotten in the planning process. ( I am new to this field–I normally fox hunt)
i have the date/time/length/cost/registration forms/lunch/silent auction afterwords.

Does everyone start at the same time or is it a timed event like the eventers do?
What about Liability?
so many questions!!
Any help would be appreciated.

First make sure you can use the park by contacting management

Are you planning on starting and ending in the park or a nearby farm?

If nearby town will need to know horses will be on roads or you need permission to cross others property

Unless this is an incredibly small event, you will want liability insurance. Probably need it for landowners and park as well (as named insured on you policy).

Then YOU decide what you want your trail ride to look like. If it’s a led drive you may not need many markers on course. If you send people out on their own you need many markers on course.

Hunter pace type rides - people in small groups are very popular

Decide if you are timing/judging in any way or not - you don’t have to

Then you have to think about restroom facilities - how long will you be out there?

Make sure you have trash bin or ask people to pack it in / pack it out. Same with manure

Are you doing food? Several local groups do ‘bring a dish’

Should have a ‘control’ on a cell who knows the area that people can call if they run into trouble. Check trail ahead to see if there are dead zones.