Unlimited access >

Hot Water heaters - go with 90% tank heater or tankless?

My chimney needs to repair, since the only thing venting out the chimney is the hot water heater, it will be cheaper to replace the current one with either a 90% efficient one that vents out the basement wall like the furnace or go tankless and remove the chimney. I love very hot showers. Suggestions?

Tankless unless you have water with minerals that will make tankless harder to work.

Also thankless tends to use bigger electricity supply, add putting that in where the tankless will go, or put the unit close to where you may already have such supply.

I know our builder said, every time a client wanted tankless, he discouraged them and if they insisted, they had troubles, our water is so heavy in minerals.
With our minerals, 20% more calcium than standard one of those, we drain once a year our electric water heather and get a good 2" of mineral junk from the bottom of it.
We have a recirculating pump and that helps keep the minerals suspended.

See what your plumber tells you.

I asked someone who runs a plumbing business about tankless. In our area, the mineral content of the water means it would have to be changed out so often it wouldn’t be worth it.