Unlimited access >

How Are You Feeling About Buying A Horse Right Now?

About 110 pounds.

2 Likes

This is SO true. Of my three horses, the horse with the $2k vetting and 25+ X-rays is also the one currently laid up with an injury too, so… :rofl:

5 Likes

About what @Garythesquirrel said, mine are closer to 90-100 I think because I can actually drag 'em around a bit. Heavy sumbitches as my Dad says.

3 Likes

Ok, so a little more than two times the size of a 2 string bale.

1 Like

I got some Teff hay out of Idaho that’s runway model gorgeous. I think it was $21 for a three string bale. I’ve been giving one horse 50/50 Teff and Timothy. He likes the Teff better actually. It’s almost blue / green. I didn’t realize how fine stemmed it is; this is the first time I’ve handled any.

If he’ll eat the Bermuda I’ll use that instead of the Teff.

If he “won’t” eat the Bermuda, I’ll save it until next Spring. I reckon he’ll eat it if we run out of everything else.

1 Like

Did you vet the horse yet? I would schedule a PPE and that would give you some time to think and try the horse again.

FWIW I rode my new horse for ten minutes before announcing that I wanted to buy him and was scheduling a PPE. I just knew who and what he was. If you feel that way about this horse, go for it.

8 Likes

My barn feeds alfalfa, oat, or bermuda included in the board. Timothy costs $170 extra per month (for four flakes a day).

Guess what my horse eats?

5 Likes

Timothy? :rofl:

6 Likes

It was quite a day. Trainer presented our offer. Sellers got another potential offer off video, sight unseen. I’d more or less resigned myself to it not happening. Then they contacted trainer: that offer had backed out & if we could get horse vetted by tomorrow, it was ours. I momentarily wigged out & told trainer I’d call her back. In an uncharacteristic turn of events, ex husband (who i fronting half) said basically “What’s the issue, vet the horse”. So, texted trainer to let her know we would proceed.

She managed to move heaven & earth & get a vetting set up for tomorrow. We shall see. H

Eta: horse seems like a pretty cool dude. I didn’t get to interact with him much b/c a business matter blew up at me right as we arrived at the barn to try him & I spent most of the tacking up frantically tapping on my phone. Still, I did notice that he was game despite being slightly confused – it was his usual dinner & going out time, and not let’s do some flying changes & jump a few courses, ok? time. He seemed quiet without sucking back yet willing & able to turn up the heat if asked. And most importantly, is currently (and successfully) doing what teenager needs him to do. Which she pointed out to me several times last night & today. :smirk: That’s supposed to be my line. I taught her well Lol.

15 Likes

Yeah, the teff is beautiful and very fine and soft. Almost too fine and soft because it’s way too easy for my horses to get it out of the 1" hole nets!

3 Likes

This horse eats out of a PortaGrazer. The Teff goes super quick :frowning:

3 Likes

Keep us updated! Pictures would be nice. :grin:

3 Likes

If he vets okay… I think you need him. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I bought teff hay once at the vet’s recommendation. Almost had a mutiny on my hands! Lol.

Will keep everyone posted about the horse. We’re very relaxed about PPEs. So fingers crossed !

6 Likes

I think we all want to know how the PPE goes!

3 Likes

No. When you find one that looks/ feels to be a good fit, snap them up. My daughter found a horse she liked on line. We went and tried her out and brought her home. 11 years later she is still as perfect as she was then.

Any other horse I have purchased was the same way.

ETA: It may help that I don’t have to worry about buying hay. We bale enough that we sell a bunch.

3 Likes

Looks like we’ve got a new horse! Expecting contract sometime this afternoon & he’ll come home sometime next week after the drug/cbc panel comes back.

Of course, I was a nervous goof & forgot to take pics. :joy: Will get some ASAP.

29 Likes

Congratulations!

3 Likes

Whoop whoop! Hooray!

1 Like

I just came on here to say I regret not even going to look at a horse in person when I was shopping three YEARS ago :laughing: I still go dig up her sales post on Facebook and watch (and re-watch) her video and hope, one day, that she pops up for sale again. I think she’d be that “next level”, purpose-bred driving horse (she was bred and trained by the coach I’ve been lessoning with) that my current mare won’t ever be.

Congratulations, @TheDBYC! Pictures are mandatory :grinning:

4 Likes