Unlimited access >

How Are You Feeling About Buying A Horse Right Now?

Glad you took the plunge!!

2 Likes

Well, can somebody explain to me why a draft cross paint just went for over $112,000 in Ft. Worth at an auction? And another went for over $ 260,000? I mean, they look like nice sort of horses, but for those prices, they aren’t stallions, right? Why are they worth that much? I just follow “Premier Horse Sales” on IG, and am truly dumbfounded.

1 Like

I wonder if some of that is not publicity, not real honest sales?

4 Likes

I happened to catch some of that sale live on the Cowboy channel. I watched the bidding for that Friesian cross who went for $260k… and my jaw was on the floor. They had multiple bidders there in person and apparently at least one making phone bids. Maybe it was all an act, but it was darn convincing if so.

I spent the rest of the day thinking of all the things I would do with $260k. :astonished:

4 Likes

I too was watching that sale, incredible some of those prices.

Also saw some PO horses that seem to be bringing more than what they were worth.
Hope they had a buyer already lined up for more in the back, some of those were already high prices.

1 Like

One of my fave games!

3 Likes

I work very part-time seasonal in a very high end, niche market boutique. It’s amazing to watch how people spend money sometimes!

4 Likes

The prices for the high-selling horses at all these sales are insane like that.

The League of Legends sale that just happened – highest seller, a 2016 palomino gelding, trained winning reiner, super broke, etc – brought $350,000. The next seven horses brought between $310,000 to $110,000. It was stunning.

I am seeing these type of prices pretty regularly now at some of these boutique sales, though. Maybe not $350k, but six figures. The only thing I can think of is (1) people have money (2) they don’t want to hunt for a horse so (3) they go to one of these sales where the horses are pre-vetted and selected and are essentially guaranteed to be what they want, and then they buy it, regardless of price.

The horses bringing the prices are not always registered, and they don’t even market them as such, I often see them using just a nickname instead of registered names. But the horses are always, always, always (1) decent conformation (2) prime age ie 4-10yo (3) geldings (4) pretty (5) pretty (6) pretty (7) ultra super duper broke (8) good minded (9) clean vetted (10) well marketed (photos, videos, etc).

Just my theory, though.

4 Likes

On Friday I watched part of the local auction (no pre-vetting, not a fancy high end sale) on the live feed… saw a Gypsy QH cross go for $23k. Now, he was cute and hairy and pinto, and generally appeared well broke but he didn’t have any outstanding specialized skills. :flushed:

1 Like

Stupidity?? More money than brains?? I just can’t believe a sale like that is real.

3 Likes

I just had to say congrats on new horse OP! If he’s a unicorn he’s definitely worth snapping up! I hope he fits in well! I’ve had an offer to buy a nice horse fall into my lap (owner knows if I bought him horse would stay at the barn) but alas I couldn’t afford him. (Now when I’m ready to buy and have the money I’m sure there won’t be a horse or open stall to be found :rofl:)

2 Likes

Congratulations on the new horse, can’t wait to see photos! A 3-3’6 unicorn is hard enough to come by and it sounds like he’s a lovely, lovely boy!

2 Likes

$32 per 3-string bale for Timothy here in Los Angeles.

2 Likes

My husband is going to the 6666 remuda sale and we’ll see if the prices are crazy there as well. He says this whole crazy price thing makes him question our economy.

3 Likes

My guess in 2 words:
Adiah HP

@TheDBYC Mazel Tov!!!

Let us see pics please

1 Like

When i lost the love-of-my-life old mare, i grieved for a few months, and then decided i just didn’t want to live without a horse in my life. I knew i wasn’t quite ready, but wanted to shop-around, possibly spend the next year horse shopping. Went to see a gelding that was advertised and fell for a brilliant young stallion. (literally, he glowed) I hemmed and hawed, fretted, tried to tell myself: NO!! but gave into temptation and bought him. He cost about 5 times more than i wanted to spend, and was not trained to ride…and was waay too hot. But, we were a match made in heaven. Never ever regretted it.

10 Likes

This is where I live, hence the $170, although does the price difference really add up to $170? And that’s a bargain compared to my previous barn that charged $220 extra for timothy.

2 Likes

Most barns around here charge $50 - $75 per extra flake of Timothy. So if your horse eats 3 flakes per day, your board bill has a $150 - $225 surcharge.

3 Likes

He’s finally home :heart::heart:

26 Likes