Unlimited access >

How can I wash my horse?

I vacuumed my young horse for the first time yesterday afternoon. He loved it. I also think he’d appreciate a crock pot full of warm, moist towels. And an Epona flexy curry. In fact, this is probably his favorite thread!

4 Likes

:rofl:
My pony is the Picasso of mud.
He’ll show me one side, pristine & mud-free.
Then turn & present his Work :grimacing:
The opposite side completely coated :confounded:

Horse is more of the PlasterCaster (remember them? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) mode.
He gets mud caked inside his ears :dizzy_face:

Only the mini never gets fully breaded.
Somehow he’ll have mud on the top of his butt, but nowhere else :thinking:

There’s a rake sold for longhaIred dogs that does an excellent job pulling off caked mud.
Fellow COTHer told me about it. :+1:
Also works great at shedding them out.
This:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/retriever-undercoat-rake?store=2251&cid=Shopping-Google-Local_Feed&utm_medium=Google&utm_source=Shopping&utm_campaign=&utm_content=Local_Feed&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6LyfBhC3ARIsAG4gkF8ZbVhW8qsVodwkr-Ete0J2UTCxbZ8Xu8En__APKjLVVojBwhHGxwQaAsKTEALw_wcB

2 Likes

Hot toweling just sounds nice, especially for an older horse. I wouldn’t be looking to get her clean, but maybe get some of the ground-in stone dust out of her coat.

BTW does anyone prefer microfiber washcloths over cotton? I have used microfiber but I think cotton terry would work better. (Now to find some…)

Any ideas for detangling a mane when it can’t be washed?

It’s a common product called “Elbow Grease”.

2 Likes

The rake I linked to will do that.
Start at the bottom, not at the neck& work your way up.

Not so fast. This is a seriously corded, long mane that is dirty. I know to use my fingers, start from the bottom, etc., but am still losing a lot of hairs, especially when matted.

So maybe I am looking for a product to help with detangling, in a setting where bathing is not possible. My experience with any of the silicone based ones, coconut oil, etc. has been that the mane looks great for a few days, but tangles up worse afterwards.

1 Like

I don’t know of anything that keeps the tangles away on a mane or tail that wants to twist into knots, even if it is clean.

I think your best option is to remove the knots using a commercial detangler product and then braiding to keep the knots from coming back until you can see if washing helps when it is a little warmer.

I purchased some of this, from Jeffers, specifically because it’s different from the typical de-tanglers:

https://davismfg.com/coat-care-finishers-sprays/mat-out-32-oz-mo32

I have a horse with a very thick, knee-length mane, who can develop the twisted cords. I’d say this doesn’t work quite as well as the silicon-based products (which I don’t like to use too often), but it’s clearly different and it helps, and I haven’t had a problem with it eventually making tangles worse.

For the silicon products, I prefer the Vetrolin one, or Cowboy Magic, to Show Sheen (or the Laser Sheen knock-off, which is my least favorite).

1 Like

I’m getting ready to try Miracle Groom Bath in a Bottle by Showsheen. It purportedly does a good job cleaning and detangling with some mixed reviews on the second part. I’ll report back if a miracle is indeed experienced.

Leovet 5 star detangler is my favorite for keeping thick tails untangled (no long manes in my care but what could be the difference?) It seems to condition against breakage well while not attracting dirt like most heavier conditioning sprays. Plus, it smells terrific.

I did a major untangling job on a pasture horse a few years back. Baby oil and then just work it out. Her tail was solid inside. I used a whole bottle of oil took over an hour, didn’t lose any hair.

For the OP…at this time of year, I suggest elbow grease. There are so many tools out there that can get down in the coat. When you get the worst off, use a nice stiff brush sprayed with Miracle Groom. That will pull out even more dirt. Over time, things will get cleaner…at least enough to get to bathing weather.

@quietann…have you tried Eqyss Survivor mane detangler? It works really well. Dealing with dreads is just going to take time and a lot of hand work.

Susan

Way back in the day, we used to use Pledge on the broodmares’ tangled, whorlwind manes. We would do their manes and tails once or twice a year. Three times if they foaled out that spring. (we had over 350 head of mares)

The spray sound can spook if they are not used to it. It works great. I have also heard people use WD-40 but Dollar Store Pledge works just as well.

Spray the corded mess really good. Then use a nice thick comb and start at the bottom. Works everytime and its quick.

I just read all of other suggestions and I still stand behind Pledge.

1 Like

I use “Cow boy magic body shine” in the body mane and tail it works great just put a bunch in if it is really tangled and let it dry for a bit them then just brush it, I even use it on my own hair if I did not brush it for awhile :laughing:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cowboy-Magic-Super-Detangler-Needed/dp/B078K4K813

Our old man loves doing that right after a bath, the once he rubbed his halter off and got muddy again so he got two baths.

1 Like

We call 'em “Dreadlocks”.
I stand by my suggestion; a decent mane and tail brush, and take your time starting at the bottom. It is surely a PITA, and it takes a long time, giving you plenty of opportunity to swear that you will never let it get that bad again.
Which vow lasts as long as any typical New Years resolution, but the theory is good anyway.

Definitely this, not many places where bathing in Feb is an option unless you have a draft-free barn, cozy stall, hot water, and maybe those heat lamp things. I washed a tail Tuesday in cold water and it was low-40s, no one died but it wasn’t hugely pleasant.

I’d use the cowboy magic or Miracle Groom (is that the name?) but keep a towel too because the yick will transfer to your hands. Pick it apart with your fingers or an actual hair pick, loose braid big chunks as they get freed up. I call them dreads but wind knots or fairy knots when they are so twirled and twisted that they knot back up in a day or two. Brushing it straight as possible and loosely braiding will keep it from re-knotting BUT it gives the horse ample opportunity to really work the mud into the braids :laughing:

1 Like

The problem with that method is you have to wash it out. I’m in the Cowboy Magic or Vetrolin club. But don’t use too much or it will attract dirt. I sometimes drench a knot but try not to drench the whole tail. Let it dry and and the just start slowly and work your way up.

1 Like

Yeah, I used up the cowboy magic on her mane and baby oil was what I had on hand :slight_smile:

At that point I was just trying to get horse somewhat civilized. It was winter and washing her was not an option. I’m trying to remember if I managed to wash her tail that following summer or not. She still doesn’t wash well but I did get someone to hold her once and soaped the tail.

I felt like most of the baby oil beaded up and ran off over 24 hours.

1 Like

Cowboy Magic makes an excellent detangler. Makes the hair shiny too.

I am telling you guys… get a cheap Dollar Store brand can of Pledge.

It is life changing.

1 Like