Unlimited access >

How can we protect our horses in cases like this?

Once a horse is sold, it is sold, just like any other property. All a breeder can do is produce the very best animals they can, so the horse will always have a job, and likely remain sound, being in the care of people who can recognise a good horse. And register the horse in a recognised stud book because future buyers like papers (even, I believe, those who speak of “ride the horse not the papers” when given the choice) and people will often pay more for a pedigree animal and, finally, many stud books maintain performance data that can also offer some protection to closely related horses.

Then the breeders just have to hope that the name of the horse isn’t changed somewhere down the line. Certain names stick, however, especially if they have some kudus because they offer status to the owner e.g. an Event rider isn’t going to show “Fluffy no name” when “Cooley Fluffy” or a Dressage rider when “Mount StJohn Fluffy” indicates or implies so much more… Or even a QH stallion called “Bet Hesa Cat” is a bit of a giveaway too.

In Spain and Portugal the studfarm brand is often the first point in a description and at shows “the cobra” is a group of mares shown together to demonstrate the quality and depth of the breeding mares.

I understand your frustration and I wish that there was an easy way to change how horses are “processed” by rescues that would enable them to notify the breeders first.
However, the unfortunate reality is, that most rescues operate on a shoestring budget and do not have the resources that would allow taking the time to track down and notify breeders of their connection to seized horses.

I hope that the rescue involved in this situation is not one that has ridiculous rules, and that the breeders of these horses are able to make an offer to buy them back from the adopters.

What can be done to help breeders that find their stock in situations like this one? Not much. Until rescues are well funded and operating under some form of regulation (not going to happen) there’s a snowball’s chance in hell that any protocol will be enacted that allows for breeders to be notified first.

Perhaps breeders could contact local rescues in advance to ask them to please contact if any horse of a certain type that they have bred are siezed. It will have to be proactive on the breeders part. Rescues unfortunately just don’t have the resources.

1 Like