Unlimited access >

how do hounds work?

The 2 times I’ve been cubbing there was so much brush and the leaves were still quite green. As well, I was at the back as I was a guest on an unproven horse so I never could get to see the hounds when they were on. All we could do was hear them and we never saw the fox.

So, once a hound or hounds find the fox scent and everyone is on, they don’t all run in a single line do they? They run together as a pack I would think. Does that mean the scent kind of wafts around so they each get a little bit of it so it forms a wide path of scent? Or do only a few at a time actually have the scent and they kind of trade off who has it as they run? What if the fox just went through - is the scent more of a line than a path? If the fox ducks into deep brush, do the hounds plow through or do they try to find an easier route parallel to the fox’s path?

When I go hunting in 2 weeks I want to be able to try to understand what I am (hopefully) seeing. Are they any books or websites that explain how the pack works so you guys don’t have to keep answering my newbie questions?

Refer to my previous thread on books about Foxhunting for some gateways to knowledge.

Excellent. I ordered 2 from Amazon. Thank you.

Do read the books (I particularly recommend Hounds for a Pack), but maybe some ‘splainin’ on what to look for during your first hunt might be in order.

The pack is very much a team. A single hound, or even a few hounds, could find the line of the intended quarry- we’ll stick to fox here- but hunting by scent, at speed, is a very tricky thing indeed, and the fewer the hounds, the harder it is to keep track of that scent trail. In my experience, at least 12 couple of hounds (one counts them in couples so multiply by two and you know how many I’m talking about…12 and a half couple would obviously be 25!) is desired to find, and hunt, a fox for any meaningful length of time.

As a team, the pack has individuals with a variety of talents- some are better at finding the scent initially, some are better at following that scent at speed, but it is the ‘body’ of the pack that really counts for good sport. A too-fast hound will miss the point where the fox has changed direction, a steadier eddy in the middle of the pack will note that the leader has gone awry and will slow enough to puzzle out that turn in the trail. Hounds too slow on the whole- well, the scent will diminish in the tricky parts and they will lose their quarry more quickly than a pack that has the right speed.

For me, watching the hounds and the pack dynamics is what it’s all about. They do all have distinct traits, talents, and personalities. The macho young dog hound will say ‘hey, look at me, I found somethin’!’ The tried and true older hounds will be skeptical, and will check out Mr. Macho’s find for themselves before ‘honoring’ his voice. On the other hand, Mr. or Ms. Old Reliable Hound, who is ALWAYS right, needs only utter the slightest boo hoo and the ENTIRE pack will FLY to that point, trusting their colleague, and off they will go. Young Mr. Incompetent, who cannot find for himself, will get jealous of the success of others, and will cheat- cut a corner and get in front of the pack, so everyone thinks HE’s responsible for all the good fortune, but the pack, and more importantly, the huntsman, will know better, and that fellow will be scratched from the dance card. Liar Liar Pants On Fire will babble at ANY scent he/she comes across, fox or squirrel or turkey or skunk, and the pack will VERY quickly tune that one out as not worth the trouble. Marian the Librarian, the unspectacular, you wonder why she’s there piddling along, but- when no one else in the pack can find where that fox has gone, she puts on her glasses, does her detective work, and finds the unfindable, and away they go, again.

Of course the ‘leader of the pack’ is the huntsman- and a good one prepares the pack year 'round, and then gives them the freedom and trust to hunt with minimal interference. But- when they are well and truly stumped, his/her guidance puts them right, and they are eternally grateful. When he/she calls them off their quarry, they reluctantly comply, they trust him/her to take them where they can find another fox to hunt. If you stand two humans in a large yard at the kennels- the person who feeds them, and the person who takes them hunting, and then open the kennel door- they will stream toward the latter, every time.

Your first time out- pick out one hound, only one, recognize the coloring and pattern so you can keep track of that hound and note what he or she does throughout the day. It will give you a good introduction to the pack dynamics- and something to keep track of, which will relax you and your horse, and you’ll both have more fun.:slight_smile:

Beverley!

Not only are you an informative writer but you are quite funny too! Thank you for writing that for me. I did order 2 books per the suggestion of LexinVa but I am afraid they won’t be here before my first hunt. Your info gives me a great overview of what to look for. The tip about picking out one hound was great. I would never have thought to do that. The hunt I am going out with had their annual hound show this past Sunday and my daughter and I went and hung out for a while. We were able to go through the kennels and saw 2 litters of very adorable puppies. The puppies were pretty similarly marked but there was enough of a difference that I could pick out distinguishing characteristics. I haven’t seen the pack as a whole, but the hounds I saw had a variety of different markings so I think I can keep my eyes on my chosen one (but I can’t wait to look for Marian the Librarian :))

There is another book you might consider -

Foxhunting: How to Watch and Listen
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=73-158667109x-0

I think it’s available on Amazon, too.

Some folks hunt to ride, and others ride to hunt. For me - it’s all about the hounds and hunting. The more you learn about houndwork, the more you’ll get out of hunting. Beverley wrote it best - it’s all about the pack dynamic. Walking the hounds over the summer you can get to know each hound, its strengths and weaknesses, and its voice. It’s funny to see a young hound speak and be ignored by the other, more experienced, hounds. But that young hound eventually catches on and it’s very heartwarming to hear him speak and be honored by the others.

I was thinking of the same read JSwan’s suggested… Foxhunting: How to Watch and Listen

Last year at the MFHA staffing seminar someone made the wonderful suggestion that hunts get their members more interested in hound work by choosing a “hound of the day”. We have had wonderful feedback when we have done this. The huntsman or MFH simply introduces one hound to the field of riders during opening announcements and greetings. We usually have a bright orange collar or some bright marking tape on that hound’s collar so he or she is more easly recognized by the field. During the breakfast, to follow, we have riders give us a little feedback on how that hound hunted. Perhaps, where he ran in the pack or if he gave good cry etc. It’s a great exercise and helps everyone learn one hounds name at each outing.

Great explanation and enough to make me want to read as well!!

Yeppers!

Yes indeedy, Bev says it right! And I have 'nother idea too…find a hound whose voice/bark/howl is easy for you to identify or start noticing the voice a certain hound you like has. Then without seeing them in the brush/woods; you’ll know who they are and what they’re doing. The SOUNDS of foxhunting or the pack becomes an interpretive exercise you can indulge while riding along but not seeing them. Learn how the pack sounds when certain things are happening. My favorite is when they think they have a scent or “the find” then the “join in”. I think the pack honoring a single hounds find is the best! And away they go!!! Then start listening to the huntsmans horn blows and how it relates to the hound voices. Then after the hunt; ask the huntsman what he meant when he did X. Huntsman LOVE it when a field member is trying to interpret what’s going on. Also, find an experienced hunt member to teach you the hound sounds and horn blows. Ride next to them and have them whisper over to you. Listen, learn, ENJOY!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!