Unlimited access >

How do you know when it is time to put the old dog down?

I thought that Mr Nearly 16 was on his final slope, so spoke to our vet, who has given up solo practice, and joined a group a long way from us. I was checking if she would still get able to come to our house if needed, or if I would have to take him in.

Just having the conversation seemed to give the old guy a new lease on life, like he knew!

Same as vet asked if I needed any of my horses stand by meds, said he was doing fine, asymptomatic for months. Well next day he needed his meds!

We call it s0ds law

1 Like

thank you. I am feeling a bit thick.

1 Like

Timely thread. Iā€™m approaching this decision with my 16yo JRT. For years weā€™ve managed his seizures, but he is now also party deaf and blind (in the dark it seems) and maybe having dementia issues. He is having accidents but with it enough to do them away from his beds/blankets given the opportunity. He is also much slower on walks and struggling there but then will go running in the yard or jump off the couch. I approached the vet about maybe being close to that time at the other dogs check-up the other morning. Sr dog has his check up in a few weeks and I think Iā€™ll be making decisions soon after that

1 Like

Wanted to update that in an answer to my momā€™s prayers, her poodle clearly is going downhill. He is drinking more water, panting, coughing more - not reverse sneeze - collapsed trachea? And he is struggling with walking and squatting. He peed in the house 4x yesterday, and the meds for coughing arenā€™t helping, so was unable to rest much yesterday. She talked to the vet and today is the day. Itā€™s always hard, so prayers/jingles for her today as she focuses on making this his best day possible until heā€™s free of pain:( This thread helped her, though, so thank you and thoughts to all who are on the cusp of the same hard decision.

8 Likes

I am just giving an update on Toffee. She seems to be doing a little better. She is walking better, still pooping in the house, unless I catch her before and put her out for an hour or so. But she is still old and shaky. Hopefully, decision time is put off for a while.

Glad to hear sheā€™s rallied a bit. Its a hard decision. I had to make the decision for the love of my life, an Irish Terrier, a few years ago. It was SO hard, but I basically got up every morning and looked at him and said, ā€œIs today the day?ā€ And one day he looked back at me and his eyes said yes. There was an imperceptible change. He was also becoming harder and harder to feed, and had dropped a lot of weight, but still got around fine when he was active. It was incredibly hard to make that decision, but I know it was right and was able to hold him right up until the end. I still cry thinking about him and his photo is still the one on my Apple watch face. Good luck. Youā€™ll know. Just listen to her.

3 Likes

So much this, I had that conversation so clearly with one of my horses, she had been injured, but was fighting back, doing well, but one morning I looked in her eyes, and she said she was done. I canā€™t say what it was, but the message was as clear as if she had shouted it out loud.

3 Likes

When my one dog suddenly could no longer get up, my vet took one look at her face and said " she looks tired". Suddenly I could see it too. I think she was holding on for me. She had been my shadow for 13 years and she didnā€™t want to leave me all alone.

I saw it sooner in my second dog. I am glad your dog is doing a little better @Larksmom .

3 Likes

After posting last week, my old boy seems to be in a downward slide. He had 2 accidents on the bed where he woke up and immediately had to poop where before I had a 10 or so min grace period, luckily he did it on ā€œhisā€ blanket so an easy clean up. Then this morning I had the furnace guy here and he didnā€™t even seem to register that anyone was there including me for a bit of it. I started asking him every morning to tell me if he has had enough, and usually he seems content to just cuddle at my side as much as we can now that Iā€™m back to work. It makes me almost grateful for the broken ankle that I got to be home with him all day since November. I do start to worry that he is hanging on for me, but I just wish I had a sign that he is ok with me giving up the fight for him. Usually when my thoughts turn that way he rallies and has a few good days where he runs and plays even if just for a bit.

2 Likes

I hate to tell you, but you may never get that sign.

I have had animals who I knew were done; their eyes told me they were ready to let go. And I have had animals who were not ready at all; I had to make the call because I knew there was no other choice.

Itā€™s easy when they know, and tell us. But just know that you may not get that, especially if heā€™s getting dementia. He wonā€™t be aware of whatā€™s wrong.

8 Likes

Trip to the vet today. Just for sort of a check-up. She has been stealing food from the table and acting STARVED while she has lost so much weight. She broke two casserole dishes sitting on the table with food in them at different times. She has never been a dog to steal from the table, this is just recent. At least she has gained back two lbs since February. The vet suggested it could be Cushings or just dementia. He didnā€™t explain Cushings but he said it was complicated and expensive. I am not spending a lot of money on a very old dog, but her levels were all fine in Feb when we did blood work.

1 Like

We had our already scheduled vet check up today. Vet noticed his decline as well, she also suspected cancer somewhere for the increased appetite but continued weight loss even though blood work did not show anything (did not recommend full body diagnostic as it doesnā€™t change the outcome) and confirmed with me that she thinks euthanasia is the answer when I am ready. I probably should have been mentally prepared for that and done it this morning but I couldnā€™t bring myself to. Based off of regular vetā€™s clinic schedule and my work schedule itā€™ll probably be next Monday or the following Sunday unless something happens that pushes it forward. Any of the clinic vets can do it if needed but my regular vet is just wonderful.

Now Iā€™m trying to figure out how I prep my other dog for him not coming home as she is very attached to her Dear Old Friendā€¦

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that. It is so difficult. I have been thinking of life without her, and it is tough.
Toffeeā€™s time is getting ever closer. She had a bad day last week, but yesterday and today she is fine. I think the next bad day will be the dayā€¦

Iā€™m so sorry. Hugs and jingles to you. We always want there to be ā€˜something elseā€™ we can do - sometimes there just isnā€™t.

2 Likes

UPDATE
Toffee is doing much better! She has improved so much, I am taking her off death row! She is still tottering around but seems much sharper and more ā€˜with itā€™. Thank you all for your support but the death watch is off for now.

5 Likes

Excellent news! I hope she sticks around for a good long time and you donā€™t have to decide for her.

My GSD is being euthanized tomorrow. His bowel control is going and he is quite weak, barely able to stagger around the yard to potty anymore. Itā€™s time.

4 Likes

(((Hugs)))

2 Likes

Glad to hear Toffee is doing better.

Hugs

1 Like

Hugs. Itā€™s always so damn hard, even though you know youā€™re doing the right thing.

1 Like