Unlimited access >

How do you know when it is time to put the old dog down?

Thank you all. He had a good last day and then left the world laying in the grass, in the afternoon sun with a tennis ball.

When he was a youngster, and one of my favorite pictures of him:

24 Likes

Today was the day. She went downhill quickly yesterday and this morning the vet who was full up to their eyeballs whisked us in and she crossed the bridge at 9:45 central

Godspeed Toffee

15 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry. Hugs and jingles to you.

1 Like

(((Hugs)))

Well I guess Badger has reached the edge of the precipice, he has to be tempted to eat, and just the last couple of days has been reluctant to go for walks. He is occasionally seeming ā€˜lostā€™ like he forgets where he is going.

Now I have reached the stage of seriously considering if we should call time. Itā€™s a lot easier telling others better a week to soon than a day to late, I believe in that fully, but so much second guessing going on. Part of me thinks I am wanting to make life easier on myself, rather than living on a knife edgeā€¦and thatā€™s a hard thought.

Damn dogs, so much love, so much joy for an all to short timeā€¦.

9 Likes

I had a hard time with the decision but it was the right thing to do. she couldnā€™t stand up Saturday morning, so that decision was sort of made for me. I kept second guessing myself, and it is still hard to realize she is gone. So sorry you are going thru this too.

1 Like

Hugs and jingles. I understand the second-guessing. In the end, we can only make the choice that is right for us and our pets.

1 Like

Jingles for all that have made or are making the hard decision.

1 Like

I said goodbye to my dear Rosie two weeks ago. She had been slowly declining, with a cancerous growth on her hind leg that was affecting movement. Bless her, she did her best to keep up the normal routine around the farm. But as her pain increased, her appetite decreased, and she began losing weight. It was harder for her to go outside to potty, and she had accidents. Her mind was still alert, though she just couldnā€™t do what she used to (and it was obvious she missed it). The final few days we spoiled her with steak, hamburger, and bologna (her favorite), and said goodbye. My vet once told me, ā€œBetter a day too early, than an hour too late.ā€

We miss her dearly, but it was almost a relief to have her passā€¦I mean that in the kindest way. I hadnā€™t realized how much her decline was stressing me, how I was internally agonizing over ā€œwhen,ā€ and battling guilt over it. But after it was finally over that anxiety was relieved and I felt at peace with the decision.

16 Likes

I am having the vet to the house tomorrow to let my old girl go. Sheā€™s a rescue, so not sure her age, but probably 13 or so. She has been going downhill mentally and physically, though her appetite is good.

We think sheā€™s a collie mix. She is a timid, fearful dog and in the 7 or so years I have had her, that has not really changed. Sheā€™s never been my heart dog, but she is part of my family and I am finding it way harder than I thought it would be. Her name is Lucy and she is kind of a ditz. I do love her. She will be missed.

7 Likes

The local big city pound, (KC Pet project), has had 100 dogs dumped on them and I have volunteered for a foster home. They have selected a shy female who is good with dogs cats and kids. Friday is the day. I will take Trooper for a meet and greet. She is a Husky and weighs 75 lbs. That is way bigger than I want but I will give it a go.

4 Likes

I felt the same way last November after I took our old boy Maxwell in. He had been pretty blah for a few years but never so much that it was clearly time, until it was. He wasnā€™t ā€œmyā€ dog and I never really felt that attached to him, but he was a good boy and I was glad that I did right by him.

3 Likes

I made the phone call today, Badger goes for his last car ride next Thursday.

My son came tonight and took some pics for me.

And one from when he was 6 months old, same week he had been neutered and found his first skunkā€‹:rofl::rofl:

16 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry. Hugs and jingles to you both, and jingles for a peaceful crossing for Badger.

1 Like

Hugs!

1 Like

Well itā€™s done, and he was so ready. I canā€™t believe the downturn he took yesterday, I did all my crying last night, today I just feel at peace, because he is beyond hurting.

The world feels kind of empty right now.

14 Likes

(((Hugs)))

Iā€™m so sorry. Big hugs to you.

Hugs to you. I am riding the same knife edge you described. I am glad you have found some peace.

BUT, I was in the end a day too late, and that hurts so much, I thought I had timed it right, but nope, I hope to God I never do that again. If you are on the edge, make the call.

4 Likes