Unlimited access >

How do you open roof vents?

New trailer, i can’t figure out how to open the roof vents. Can anyone help me? Plenty of online videos as to installation, but i guess they think everyone knows how to open the dang things. They are two-way. Here are photos:

Push that silver colored bar one direction or the other.
On mine, the middle position has the vents closed, one way has the vents open at the front (to maximize airflow when it is hot), and the other way has the vets open at the back (when you need to vent moisture from sweat and respiration, but you don’t need to cool things down).

Congrtulations on you new trailer.

4 Likes

On my similar looking ones you have to squeeze the bar before you push it one way or the other or It won’t move.

1 Like

How do you squeeze it?

It is pretty stiff… i tried shoving it one way, then the other… I tried all three of the vents and none gave-way. i almost got a mallet, but decided i’d look online and also ask you guys. So far internet has not helped at all, but i got TWO answers from you guys. COTH for the win.

1 Like

I can’t tell if they are like mine or not, but for mine, you pull the little bar down a bit as you shove it either forward or back to open (different directions of airflow, as Janet posted).

5 Likes

the airflow and rain vs heat…i get that. I understand…
The mechanical part…LOL.

I’ll pull down then shove it. Will have plenty of time in the morning to deal with windows and doors and these things.

2 Likes

Pull down - there’s a release mechanism on the top side of the handle

3 Likes

Mine pull down and go one way or the other.

2 Likes

Worst case, if this is new, just call the dealer. Or go visit the dealer if it’s close enough and ask them to show you on a different trailer. :slight_smile: Enjoy the new trailer!

3 Likes

LOL…well, that’s a good idea!
i was on the phone with them for almost an hour yesterday!! (linkage connection…trying to install trailer cam…and couldn’t tie into aux lights). fuses/wires/connector…AAaaaaKKKK.

Was not until after hours when i discovered i couldn’t open these things. I’m waiting for them to open and if i can’t get them open, i’ll face the music and call…

4 Likes

Hey, we’ve all been there! :grin:

3 Likes

Yup :roll_eyes:
Almost Every.Single.Time! I have to work with anyone’s trailer that’s not mine.
Just Tuesday, going with friend to pick up her mini mares from trainer.
Heavy steel trailer w/full width back door.
Door feels like it weighs a metric ton itself :persevere:
And the latch is a Pull While You Lift arrangement that I never get right at first.
Or ever :smirk:

3 Likes

I keep a claw hammer in my dressing room to open and close these so I dont have to get the steps out… hang claw end over bar near center, pull down and move sideways.

7 Likes

GOT THEM!!!

It took a rubber mallet, gently tapped it out out of the little indents. I have a claw hammer in my pickup, but i think i’ll keep this mallet around in the tack room.

You guys have been GREAT!

Thanks so much!!

10 Likes

mine is a double skin, matted, full width (and i have 6" extra width) … it’s like a bank vault door!

no more pulling it closed with baling twine. I’ll have to figure out a way to get the horse and me in there … tie him, close that door and untie from the outside. It’s gonna be a REAL learning experience today. Leaving a half hour early to load. Step up, and they’ve always had a ramp.

so many things…

hahahahahahaha. That helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did have to call the dealer today though. I couldn’t get the gooseneck off the ball. The poor guy was naming thingies and i had to keep telling him to not call them by their names, but rather describe what they looked like, or where they were. After sloooooowing him down quite a bit, i got him to give me instructions, one step at a time. Now i know. Not hard at all once u know!

OH!!! and yesterday, on my maiden voyage, with two of my bigger horses…getting there was a learning experience! The roads there are two lane country highways, on verrry hilly, often hilly and curvy terrain… but we made it!

Though…coming home we ran dead-on into a huge storm. Not exactly straightline winds, but the trees were all bending and rain was pelting down hard! I slowed to about 40mph … and just kept going. Made it, but without stopping for gas. Which i desperately needed! When i got home the indicator said i had only 7 miles left. (and it’s about 15 or so to get to town) So, for the very first time ever, i had to put in about 5 gal of farm diesel in order to get back into town today to fill up.

It’s only 70 miles each way, and my indicator said i had 200 miles of gas. But i guess it didn’t know i was hauling a heavy load up and down hills… I THOUGHT i was covered. Now i know. Don’t trust it and fill up before leaving…cause it might be raining cats and dogs on the ride back home!

5 Likes

For those of us with…ahem…“older” trucks without the fuel thingy, we use the old-fashioned way to calculate gas mileage. I know I get ~9-10 miles per gallon towing, so by simple arithmetic, I can tell when I will need fuel. Moral of the story is I don’t trust the electronic thingies.

Nice rig…

3 Likes