Unlimited access >

How do you tell a horse seller you're no longer interested?

How much time have you invested in evaluating this horse so far? I agree with the others that a simple “Thanks so much!” is sufficient—honestly, you don’t even need to tell me that it’s not right for you. But it’s when a buyer asks me three million questions or has a bunch of special requests just for the heck of it that I get annoyed.

I have a very, very nice young hunter for sale and just spent days entertaining a buyer who I felt was quite serious. I took pretty extensive additional video of the horse for her, as she’d be buying off video, disclosed all exams and X-rays, and so on, only to be told, “Sorry, I’m actually not looking to buy for another two or three months.” :thinking:

Or the best: they know the price, proceed to ask 20 questions, then say, “Sorry, over budget!”

3 Likes

IMO this means their budget depends on the horse and in the end they didn’t think your horse was worth what you were asking for it, which doesn’t mean they were right, but either way they weren’t willing to pay that.

I ask for conformation shots, pictures of their feet, or videos of the horse going under saddle and on the longe/at liberty if they don’t have them. I feel like this is basic horse selling stuff. So on one hand, I do often make requests, but OTOH, someone was going to ask eventually. Now they have it for the next person.

1 Like

I mean, maybe, but I don’t think a buyer with a $25k budget is going to magically stretch to $80k for my horse. :woman_shrugging: And with regards to my second comment, I’ve sold multiple horses in that price range without folks asking for pictures of feet, videos on the lunge, etc. That usually only happens with my less expensive horses.

How do you know what their budget was? If their budget was 50k, they might buy a horse that was exactly what they were looking for for 60k. If it’s not, the horse is “out of budget.” My comment about what I ask for from sellers was unrelated to how much your horse cost, though for what it’s worth, I am buying a “less expensive” horse.

Because when they passed on my horse, they told me—“oh, sorry, our budget is only $x.” I’m not sure why you’re defensive, just pointing out my experiences as someone who sells a lot of horses each year, across all price points.

3 Likes

Well that changes things, then they were just wasting your time. I guess budgets change depending on circumstances but you would think if there was a reason their budget was slashed they might mention it.

I don’t think it’s necessarily bad manners to inquire about a horse slightly above budget but this does confuse me. This is just wasting everyone’s time.

1 Like

Just tell them that the horse is very nice, but that you don’t click with the horse and thank them for their time.

Exactly, sorry for not being more clear. I absolutely welcome inquiries from people within ballpark range and have been know to get super creative for really good situations for my horses, regardless of $$$.

1 Like

Rip off the bandage so they can focus on other buyers.

Just say thanks for your time and move on.
Dont say, “too green” or “not enough training” or bring up any problems.