Unlimited access >

How long do you expect a pair of tall boots to last?

When I was putting on my spurs to ride this morning, I noticed that the leather was starting to pull away from the sole ever-so-slightly in one place and some deep, splitting cracks were developing on the toe. They’re still wearable for now (the leather is still attached to the sole and the cracks aren’t all the way through) but I’m going to have to have a cobbler look at them to see if they are worth fixing or get a new pair so I don’t have to resort to Operation Duct tape during a future ride. Of course this happens on Memorial Day weekend and the cobbler isn’t open. :lol: I think they might last another month or so without fixing but I know not to use my usual ostrich head-in-the-sand approach to dealing with a crisis.

I got these boots off-the-rack and on sale in January of 2014. I’ve also had to get one of the snaps replaced on them before. I like them and they are comfortable but I was thinking all of you who have pull-on boots for years and years and who ride every day. (I ride 3x a week, sometimes 4x).

So I was curious–when you buy a pair of tall boots (or heck, paddock boots and half-chaps if you don’t wear tall boots), how long do you expect them to last…and how long do they generally last? (Of course, I realize the expectation is different depending on the brand, style, and so forth).

Depends on the brand. I expect my Mountain Horse boots to last 3+ years. I replaced my Ariat boots every year before giving up on them.

It depends on the brand, how much I paid, how often I use them and how well I take care of them.

I expect to replace things like paddock boots every 2-3 years (although i have a current pair that are going on 10+ years - they are beat to heck but still kicking. And I have a pair of Ariat Bromonts that have lasted 4 winters.). I don’t take great care of them, I wear them constantly and in less then ideal conditions (e.g. mud, manure, wash stall etc etc).

I just bought a new pair of Cavallos and I expect them to last longer - they were pricier, I only wear them to ride (e.g. I basically only wear them in the saddle) and take good care of them.

Like everything else, it depends!

I bought another pair of Ariats about 2 years ago to replace a 10 year old pair, also Ariat, that was looking a bit worn bit still serviceable. The 10 year old pair is now looking better than the 2 year old pair. The quality is not the same.

Dumped Ariat and bought a pair of custom Konigs. lol.
With the amount I normally would spend on replacing zippers every year, it made sense to spend the extra to get custom.

Till I gain weight and cannot get them on anymore. Thank God for zippered boots. The old timey boots in college had to be pulled off by classmates after riding class. Now it’s just the disappointment of the zipper “not meeting” or breaking.:slight_smile:

I would not expert that OP’s boots would have cracking leather after only 2 years, unless you did not clean and condition them often. Take them back and see what the store says.

I only wear my good tall boots to show. They’re over a decade old, and pull-ons. Not really showing any signs of wear, except maybe where the spurs rub, and a bit at the back of the heel.

The cheapie brown zip tall boots I have for lessons needed new soles after less than a year. I was NOT Happy about that. But I got what I paid for.

I would not be happy with needing to fully replace boots in less than 5 years, unless there’s extenuating circumstances like weight fluctuation or kids growing.

Dehners - my first pair are 30 years old, beat to hell, very comfortable, much repaired and my favourites. Modern, off the shelf would maybe last a year or two.

@JenEM–that is pretty much what I was expecting from my boots–five years. Admittedly, they were not outrageously expensive tall boots and I did wear them for every ride.

@invinoveritas–I probably could have taken better care of them (especially in the winter) and yes, I did wear them ‘hard.’ I know George Morris would say this serves me right for not polishing my boots before every lesson :lol: I don’t know about going back to the store although I suppose I could contact the manufacturer.

I’ll see what my cobbler says but in general I am amazed with how many things wear out so much more quickly than they used to–even some mall store brand clothes (The Limited, Express) that I bought in the 90s I only recently discarded for being too worn. Nowadays, t-shirts often only last a season before fraying and looking tired.

I ride 5-6 days a week, 1-2 horses and probably get 2 years tops out of a pair of Mountain Horse Venice-types. I went through three pairs of very pricey Ariats very quickly before I gave up on them. Mountain Horse fit me well and seem to be made better than most off-the-racks.

I got a pair of boots made when I was in Argentina a few years ago and I wish I’d had the foresight to get a couple of pairs. I only wear these to show in because they are my fancy custom boots, but the leather and the workmanship is so much better than my “daily” boots.

Depend on the leather and make - My lined Dehners have lasted me all
my adult life, have hunted, evented, trail ridden, shown, swam in the FraserRiver many times and while scratched from blackberries, and somewhat worn, I still wear them. I think they belong in the Dehner Hall of Shame.
(Been more than 30 years as I work out, Equibrit!)

About a year per every $100 spent on them, :wink:

That’s been my experience the last 10 years or so with off the rack boots, paddock or tall.

[QUOTE=plaidbreeches;8681775]
About a year per every $100 spent on them, :wink:

That’s been my experience the last 10 years or so with off the rack boots, paddock or tall.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that’s eerie because I paid around $250 for mine (discount with coupon). 2.5 years if they are not salvageable.

I’m a bit like above at least a year per $100 though i work more off a year per $50 :slight_smile:

And my boots literally have to be falling apart for me to stop wearing them. I have been known to use super glue to fill leather cracks and re stick lining etc. Makes them look far from pretty but i’ve gotten another several years out of them by doing it

I usually pay between 200$ and 600$ for boots. Ariats fit me off the rack but I was going through Crowns in about two years. That was massive holes in the calf and usually a zipper busted and the dye was gone from the entire foot and the footbed was separated. I wear them until they die and then wear them another six months.

I expect my boots to last a year or two and am happy when they make it to two years. I ride about 4 horses a day and wipe them off after every day I use them. I take fair care of them but I walk in them and hose horses off in them as well. I have more issues with the calf of the boot than the foot for the most part though.

It will be a out a year per $100 unless they are cleaned/conditioned/polished regularly, never worn in inclement conditions (lunging or walking around in a sandy arena, wearing in the mud, hosing a horse off in them).

When you get up above $500 you start getting calf skin leather that is ideally meant for showing only. You have to start being pickier with the leather choice. A nice show boot isn’t necessarily what you want for every day the easier it is to break in, the quicker it will wear out.

aaah but with the increasing price of boots where good ones cost over $1,000.00, when they last so many years, the price per year goes down proportionatly. The fine, calf skin ones, not so much. Lined, you get more bang for the buck.

I’ve had good luck with my local cobbler actually patching boots that are starting to split in the foot, as well as replacing zippers.

That said, I don’t hose horses or muck out in my tall boots.

I don’t know what I’d do if I was riding multiple horses and hosing each one off after I rode, though.

I’ve been buying Ariats because the footbed is that much more comfortable than other options, as far as I’ve found. I just decided to accept the fact that, like running shoes and modern hiking boots with sneaker technology, they just are not going to last that long.

I have fashion boots and shoes that are properly made, with leather lining and leather soles, that have lasted for 15 or 20 years. They are comfortable for what they are, more so than cheaper shoes of the same styles. But they are not hike the shoes I’d pick for 12 hours of sightseeing in Manhattan, or a hike in the mountains.

I imagine that a properly-cared for good quality traditionally made riding boot could last that long, too. But I think these days, that would be a $1000 boot, and even then it would take a decade to know if you had really got what you hope for.