Unlimited access >

How long would a saddle take to ship?

I ordered a custom Arion saddle 5 weeks ago. I got conformation from the saddle fitter that it will ship directly to my house in NJ from France, it shipped on Friday June 2nd. I’m showing at Saratoga on the week of the 18th, do you think my saddle will come in time?

What shipper did they use, what priority when is it meant to arrive? I’d never go to a show in a saddle that just arrived just like I wouldn’t go on a 15 mile hike in brand new boots. Make sure it fits, make sure horse likes it, make sure you’re balanced. Give it a couple weeks before showing in it

8 Likes

If they didn’t give you a tracking number, ask them for it.

If it doesn’t get held up in customs, you should get it within about 10 days. But Customs is the rub…

3 Likes

Yep, depends totally on customs. You will probably get it in time, but I wouldn’t 100% count on it. I think the last saddle I bought from the UK sat in customs for a week, the suddenly DHL dumped it on my porch with no warning at all.

2 Likes

I definitely won’t be showing in it if it doesn’t fit my horse. The saddle fitter will either meet me at the show(which is closer to her house) or at the barn if she can. If she doesn’t think it fits, my trainer is allowing me to show in her saddle which fits my horse.

I would not show in it at all until you have ridden in it for a few weeks. The saddle may look like ot fits but the horse may decide he doesn’t like it. Or you may find something makes you sore.

Don’t go into a show with any piece of tack or key clothing like boots or helmet that you haven’t already schooled in and broken in.

5 Likes

Thank you for the advice :slightly_smiling_face:

My custom saddle made it all thru customs and then went “missing”. There were two custom saddles in the box. Shipped UPS. It was believed to have been stolen somewhere between customs and the local ups depot. It was insured by the saddlery so they got paid and made me a new one…but the whole ordeal added three months to it.

Point being, until it’s in your hands, anything could go wrong.

That’s definetly one of my biggest fears about the shipping process!

Youngest daughter earlier this month got a saddle from England. private party transaction, shipped UPS ($159 US) took eight days door to door (was over the Memorial holiday weekend)

First shipping quotes were as high as over $600 US

1 Like

It depends on the carrier you get in the US. If it ends up with USPS, it may take weeks and weeks, or not show up at all.

it arrived yesterday! thank you everyone!

3 Likes

as a follow up on the saddle my daughter got from England, it was supposedly “used”

Saddle fitter was just here, the saddle is brand new, never was fitted to a horse and fits her dressage horse Perfectly.

Saddle fitter was amazed as the saddle she said It Was As If It Was Custom Made For Daughter’s Horse

3 Likes