Unlimited access >

How many transporters schedule to deliver a horse at 10 pm?

I told the barn owner to expect the horse to be delivered at 10 because that was was the text that I received read. When the transporter was no where to be found this morning she texted back that the delivery was to be 10 pm.
I know it is summer and a trailer ride is hot and there is traffic but the barn closes at 10pm.

Is this a long haul?

If so, itā€™s standard for horses to get picked up and dropped off whenever the driver gets there. 10pm is pretty civil comparatively. Iā€™ve had to meet drivers at like 2am.

Now, if the horse is just being shipped from 30 minutes away or something, thatā€™s a different storyā€¦

53 Likes

I find 2am to be the most common arrival time for horse shippers.

64 Likes

Yes it is fairly long, and she did stop during the day in Oregon. Again today in North CA. I suppose I am being petty with respect to not including an AM or PM in the text.
All other deliveries were during daylight hours SO I just assumed and now I think the ā€˜no nonsenseā€™ barn owner will be cross with me.

3 Likes

It probably would have been handy to include AM or PM, Iā€™m sure it was just an oversight.

But I wouldnā€™t stress too much about the BO. Itā€™s probably not her first late drop off, and if it is, itā€™s unlikely to be her last. Thatā€™s just how it goes when shipping horses long distance. Itā€™s not like a driver is going to keep a horse on the truck overnight waiting for the barn to open.

25 Likes

I do like the fact that the shipper cares enough for the horses to stop frequently.
However in passing the shipper mentioned that for paperwork errors she needs to stable two horses overnight anyhow before they can go to the airport for transport. The overnight stalls she mentioned to the airport is on the way to and from my stable (one mile at most)
Why does she need to kick my horse out in the middle of the night when she has given such praise over how sweet she is?

Personally, Iā€™d prefer that the horse be delivered straight to her new barn rather than adding an unnecessary stop that would be one more place where she could be exposed to disease or accident. And if I was the shipper, Iā€™d prefer not to have the liability or cost of caring for her for an extra night just to have to put her back on the trailer the next day for delivery, particularly when the barns are only a mile apart.

But having the horse delivered at 10 pm after a long distance trip doesnā€™t bother me at all, anyway, so take my opinion for whatever itā€™s worth.

37 Likes

I had a horse delivered to my barn at midnight. He was supposed to arrive by 8pm, but weather-related traffic made it several hours later. It happensā€¦

7 Likes

I had one that was due at midnight, and didnā€™t actually show up until 4 am. That was a chilly night sleeping in my truck.

9 Likes

When I had a horse shipped cross country, my early evening arrival kept getting pushed back and I finally got to meet them at 3 am. Fortunately the driver was in close contact and told me to sleep til he called so I didnā€™t have to wait at the barn. Unfortunately he called me when he was about 25 minutes from the barn that takes me a good 40 minutes to get to normally. Iā€™ve never driven so fast, passed the truck on the freeway just before the barn exit, and all worked out. A 10 pm delivery wouldnā€™t bother me at all.

9 Likes

Like @horsepoor , my shipper (FL to Midwest) called me at work when he was about 20min out.
Luckily I worked about 15min from my farm.

OP:
IIWM (aside from the snafu on AM or PM) Iā€™d be glad the timing allowed me to be on-site to receive the horse & see how she settled in.
Horse mentioned above arrived after a nonstop drive & stepped off fresh as a daisy :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

My mare was to be delivered between 10pm and 1am. They made time up somewhere and she arrived about 4pm. Thank you! Nothing I want to do more than take the lead of a 22 month old filly that has been on a truck for 18hrsā€¦in the dark. Truck had to unload out on the road.

Susan

2 Likes

Same, though older gelding.
Air-ride semi could not come up my drive.
TG, my barn is only around 50ā€™ from the road, it was daylight & road is just a 2-lane local.

I think youā€™re overreacting.
How is delivering your horse, as agreed upon ā€œkicking her outā€?
10pm is not really the middle of the night.

34 Likes

It is completely normal for shippers to initially give you a range of time thatā€™s pretty broad, and then you should expect that time frame to change. Think about it. One horse who doesnā€™t want to get on the trailer sets everything back an hour. Maybe there are two horses who donā€™t want to get on the trailer. Maybe there are accidents on the road, unforeseen slowdowns and traffic. Somebodyā€™s trying to kick the trailer down and they have to stop to deal with it. There are so many variables. There is no way that the shipper can stay on a tight schedule, and I think thatā€™s an unrealistic expectation.

They get there when they get there.

Anything thatā€™s outside of the midnight to 4 AM range, is golden in my mind. I do beg them to give me a half hour heads up so I can get to the barn.

24 Likes

Thatā€™s not a bad time at all. The shipper gets there when they get there. It would be a huge hassle if they could only deliver to barns during certain hours. Itā€™s one ā€œlate nightā€ you/your BO will get over it.

14 Likes

This. Also, Iā€™ve never been at a barn that enforced closing hours on a horse coming in from a long haul. Too many things happen on the road that can get them delayed.

19 Likes

Iā€™ve been lucky that most of my long hauls arrived at civilized times, but that is only because the schedules happen to line up and were along major traffic routes (KY > MD, MD > KY). The hauler from MO > NE arrived with my new horse at 1am, and I was very happy to out and get my boy settled in.

10pm is rare and I would recommend being grateful for that, the barn owner should understand, and donā€™t be surprised if it slips to later that night or even early the next morning. Logistics are a b!itch and thatā€™s just life.

9 Likes

Think about what you are asking. You think the shipper should have retained responsiblity of the horse overnight when the horseā€™s destination was 1 mile away?

Very few reputable shippers would agree to what you are proposing. It has nothing to do with whether your horse is ā€œsweetā€ or not. It puts the horse at increased risk of injury or illness and it increases the liability of the shipper. And what is the gain? All that added stress on horse and shipper just to accommodate arbitrary barn hours?

As a barn owner, I also wouldnā€™t want a horse making an unnecessary stopā€” all the more chance for them to pick up contagious pathogens.

If your barn owner is truly upset about this, Iā€™m going to give some tough love and say she needs to get over it. You have many people here telling you this is not your fault and not the shipperā€™s fault.

33 Likes

Iā€™m just going to say thatā€™s a lot of naivete to post this complaint here.

26 Likes