Unlimited access >

How much am I looking to pay for a horse like this?

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I’m currently looking to buy a horse and I haven’t found one yet that fits all my qualifications so I’m having a hard time getting an idea of pricing.

This is what I’m loving for:

• Jumper with scope to go up to 3’9
  • Between 4 and 8 years
  • Going W/T/C, hopefully started over fences
  • Good ground manners
  • Mare or gelding
  • Between 16 and 17.1 hands
  • Forward moving but not manic
  • No vices
  • Warmblood or Sport horse type (reg’d not required)
  • Prefer a naturally uphill mover

I’m in Ontario but I think the prices here are pretty comparable to the East Coast States.

Thank you so much!

Huge range.

If you are looking for a “prospect” you are likely going to pay more, especially if you need to put the time/money into training, showing, paying a pro etc.

I know there are quite a few older jumpers with confirmed results in the 3’9 jumpers that are available at reasonable prices. However, you will likely be looking at future maintenance and the need to step down in a few years rather than step up.

For a prospect I would think in Ontario that you are looking at 10-25,000 depending on how much over fences work they have done. If you can find a scopey thoroughbred you can probably find one for a little less, but even they are catching a good price once they have show records.

I bought my boy as a green for his age 6 year old (he had about the training of a 4 year old, a couple shows at 3’), hoping for scope to 4’ but thought he could for sure do 3’6. Canadian Sport horse, 16.2hh gelding. Super sweet on the ground, and nice but a bit of a more difficult ride (a bit of a funny mouth, not conformational but sensitive and bouncy). He was 25,000. Which I think was a little high for what he was, however 2 years later we were showing 4’.

10,000 and up…

http://www.bigeq.com/horse-jumpers.php?l34

http://www.bigeq.com/horse-jumpers.php?l56

[QUOTE=Canadian Jump;7025512]
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I’m currently looking to buy a horse and I haven’t found one yet that fits all my qualifications so I’m having a hard time getting an idea of pricing.

This is what I’m loving for:

• Jumper with scope to go up to 3’9
  • Between 4 and 8 years
  • Going W/T/C, hopefully started over fences
  • Good ground manners
  • Mare or gelding
  • Between 16 and 17.1 hands
  • Forward moving but not manic
  • No vices
  • Warmblood or Sport horse type (reg’d not required)
  • Prefer a naturally uphill mover

I’m in Ontario but I think the prices here are pretty comparable to the East Coast States.

Thank you so much![/QUOTE]

Huge range…like 5k-50k. A green broke 16h 4 y/o mare who is started over fences and whose breed is listed as some type of sport horse but not registered could be as low as four figures.

A 17.1 8 y/o KWPN gelding who is super easy could get you in to the mid five figures depending on how scopey he is, how broke, and if he has any show experience.

I agree could be a big range. I’d say 10k and up.

That is a big range! I think it depends on how much of a prospect/project you are looking for. I think going from 4-5 to the 5 or 6-7 range can make a big difference because it is the difference between something that still is growing and learning how to use its body to somthing that is about to move into its prime years. You therefore know more of what you are getting.

FWIW, I’ll show you what I mean with my example:
I bought my 16’3 green-started (W/T/C and some teeny tiny x-rails - just to see how he hadnled them, basically) 3 yo TBxDutchWB (very WB typinsh) for under 5k. At the time, he had potential, and was broke to ride with decent ground manners, but not much else. My trainer and I could tell at 3 that he had the potential I wanted, but that I would have to install all the controls and buttons since he didn’t really know how to work his legs all in the same direction, much less what contact was. I took the chance becaause I could never have afforded a more finished horse with the same raw talent, and when I rode him I could tell he had a good brain.

Two years later at 5 and 17h and growing, he is still a prospect, but he now has steering, can work consistently in a training-level frame (with short bursts of first level), has a big floaty 10 trot, a ridable and ratable canter and he could jump the moon if I asked him to and not even think about it. We’re keeping it low for right now since he is still growning, but currently we are successfully showing 2’6 and schooling up to 2’9 on courses. He’s jumped up to 3’6 as a one off here or there, but that is once in a blue moon as I am building the basics slowly and protecting his legs. However, since he can trot a 3’2 verticle without any effort and I’ve seen him jump about 8 feet across a water puddle from a stand still to keep from getting his feet wet, I’m know he’ll go higher. Basically, the controls are all there now, it is just a matter of refining, improving,adding consistency and overcoming the occassional stupid baby moments. On the ground he can be pushy, but overall is a well-mannerred beast, especially considering that at best, he is still an adolescent.

I think if I wanted to resell him at this point (which I don’t!) I could easily get in the low 5 figures, more if I could ever get a more regular show schedule going instead of the helter skelter every few months thing I have going now. If he continues like he has been doing, I think that once he is done growing at about 6 and I can really hit the throttle with his jumping, his value will increase dramatically.