Unlimited access >

How much does it usually cost to trailer to a 1-day show?

We’re going to a show! Girly has been exceptionally good lately, and there’s a little schooling show at my friend’s old agricultural high school on May 3rd. $15 per class, so I won’t be super frustrated if the girl is too high or nervous to show. Friend’s gelding will also be going to do showmanship, since he’s been an absolute peach on the ground.

Unfortunately, it looks like BM will be out of town that weekend, and we need to look for a ride. I have nooo idea what this costs, having never organized the trailering-in to a show before.

So… exactly what it says on the tin.

I charge a flat rate of $50 for anything within 30 miles. Anything more than that is a flat rate of $2/loaded mile (in other words, for every mile driven while the horse is on the trailer.)

I try not to do this very often, but that’s what I charge when I do.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8102185]
I charge a flat rate of $50 for anything within 30 miles. Anything more than that is a flat rate of $2/loaded mile (in other words, for every mile driven while the horse is on the trailer.)

I try not to do this very often, but that’s what I charge when I do.[/QUOTE]

That is about what most shippers in my area charge. There is one who charges a bit less, I think around $1.50 per mile but they are booked so you have to get on their schedule weeks in advance if not longer if you want a guarantee for a big show weekend.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8102185]

I try not to do this very often, but that’s what I charge when I do.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, how do your rates change when you have two horses on the trailer instead of one?

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;8223596]
Out of curiosity, how do your rates change when you have two horses on the trailer instead of one?[/QUOTE]

They don’t. The only time I’m taking two is when I’m taking mine and somebody else’s with me, so that’s what it costs.

I don’t ship if I’m not bringing my own horse - too stressful, too tiring.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8223628]
They don’t. The only time I’m taking two is when I’m taking mine and somebody else’s with me, so that’s what it costs.

I don’t ship if I’m not bringing my own horse - too stressful, too tiring.[/QUOTE]

do you have a sense of how the commercial folks do it? I’ve got a call in to one of them and am waiting to hear back, but am curious what is considered standard practice.

If my normal rate with a local commercial shipper is $2/loaded mile, do most charge the other horse the same rate? Or is the rate usually just the same and then it’s up to the two people on the trailer to split it between themselves?

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8223628]

I don’t ship if I’m not bringing my own horse - too stressful, too tiring.[/QUOTE]

do you have a sense of how the commercial folks do it? I’ve got a call in to one of them and am waiting to hear back, but am curious what is considered standard practice.

If my normal rate with a local commercial shipper is $2/loaded mile, do most charge the other horse the same rate? Or is the rate usually just the same and then it’s up to the two people on the trailer to split it between themselves?

A lot depends on whether you expect the trailer and driver to remain all day or drop you off and pick you up. Either way is a multi hour commitment for the rig and driver, regardless of how close it is. I would expect to pay in the $200 range regardless of mileage.

Are you talking someone hauling you with their personal trailer (like a trainer or a barn friend)? Or, hiring a professional hauler for a “show haul”? Regardless, I’ve never had anyone give a cut rate for more than one horse on the trailer–flat fee for each/every horse (so if it’s $50 to a local show, that means a two horse would be $50 for each horse = $100 total). Some professional hauling companies have a smaller van or trailer for local or show hauls. Some phone calls would easily answer your question on cost and availability. But, honestly, for a one day show, you’ll probably pay more for the hauling than for the show itself!