Unlimited access >

How much rubber do I need for this arena?

15 year old arena, and the rubber is now turned into rock hard little pieces that feel more like plastic. They also are starting to degrade a bit.
I’m thinking I need to scoop up as much rubber as I can and replace it. The arena is 100x200. The rubber comes in 2 ton pallets. Anyone know how much I need? The rubber supplier isn’t being super helpful, as he is trying to quote me to buy like 3 inches worth of rubber which would obviously be way too much rubber.

well, 25 tons will give you 1 inch spread over 100by200…that would be a whole tractor trailer load (might exceed the amount of one trailer’s capacity)

this site has a calculator were you can adjust the depth of coverage to compute your needs

1 Like

Thanks, I probably don’t need an inch. I think I will need about 6-8 2000lb loads.

My arena builder neighbor says he is has as many jobs digging out old rubber arenas and replacing them with alternatives like GGT these days as he has building new arenas from scratch.

If you already plan to remove the old rubber, are you dead-set on using rubber again?

1 Like

here is the GGT site, go to Footing in the header…select style of riding, scroll sown there is a calculator, enter size of area…it gives the minimum and max costs of the materials

there is a different blend for each discipline

GGT is probably what I’ll put in my arena, but this is actually on a property I rent. The rubber actually held up beautifully until this year. It’s just probably time for it to be completely stripped and redone, but I don’t want to put that cost into it. The stone dust has worn down and is dusty, the rubber crumb is super hard, and there’s some low areas that need to be releveled. But that’s a 50k investment and I am looking for more of a 3k band aid fix.

GGT needs A LOT of maintenance. Maybe good for a big facility that’s fine with watering and dragging (with a special drag) weekly, but for a smaller farm it’s frankly overwhelming.

2 Likes

Dragging only once a week sounds great! My sand dressage arena needs it at least daily, sometimes twice. So I have been considering GGT but just saw that Premier Equestrian seems to have dropped GGT for something called ProTex. Is ProTex just a renamed GGT or is it something radically different?

I’ve heard this, however at the moment I have to drag every day I ride so once or even twice weekly sounds wonderful

A friend that put synthetic footing into her indoor says she spends more time dragging and watering than riding. Not for me.

1 Like

Well, after hearing that GGT only needs dragging every week, I bit the bullet yesterday and contracted to have my sand dressage arena re- leveled and topped with GGT footing.

My DragNFly arena groomer can be modified for GGT use by removing the front scarifiers and bolting on brackets and a second basket roller, and the arena already has a sprinkler system installed.

Thanks for helping me decide.

1 Like

I recently got a quote and was shocked at the pricing. It was actually really affordable!
I’m going to be building my own arena soon and am thinking of going with it. Keep me updated on how it works for you!

1 Like

Sorry for the bump, but how did it work out for you? How often do you need to drag your arena?